9th and Custodes

Not likely a perfect transcription, since I was just quick typing on my phone... But here’s the FW Custodes points breakdown:

FW Custodes

Saggitarum, 50 pts

Custodian w/ Adrs - Pyth, 55 pts

Aquilon Terminator, 75 pts

Contemptor Achillus, 160 pts

Contemptor Galatus, 175 pts

Agamatus, 100 pts

Pallas Grav Attack, 105 pts

Venatari, 55 pts

Caladius Grav, 225 pts

Telemon Dreadnought, 200 pts

Coronus Grav, 265 pts

Ares Gunship, 430 pts

Orion Assault, 500 pts

WEAPONS

Achillus Dreadspear, 0

Adrasite Spear, 0

Arastus bolt calaver, 0

Adrathic Devastator, 5

Arachnus Heavy Blaze, 0

Arachnus Storm Cannon, 40

Galatus Warblade, 0

Illiastus Accel Culverin, 25

Illiastus Firepike, 10

Infernus Incinerator, 10

Kinetic Destroyer, 0

Lastrum Bolt Cannon, 0

Lastrum Stormbolter, 0

Pythrite Spear, 0

Spiculus Bolt Launcher, 10

Spiculus Heavy Bolt Launcher, 0

Twin Adrathic Destructor, 15

Twin Arachnus Blaze Cannon, 0

Twin Arachnus Heavy Blaze, 0

Twin Illiastus Accel Cannon, 0

Twin Las Pulsar, 30

Twin Lastrum Bolt Cannon, 0

Twin Plasma Projector, 15

Venatari Lance, 0

Interceptor Lance, 0

Misericordia, 3

Solarite Power Gauntlet, 5

Solarite Power Talons, 0

Tarsus Buckler, 5

Telemon Caestus, single 30 / pair 40

Galatus Shield, 0

I think they're strong, but still going to e a high skill ceiling and floor army. They're all eminantly killable still.

Since english is not my native language, what do you mean ? ^^'

I think they're strong, but still going to e a high skill ceiling and floor army. They're all eminantly killable still.

Since english is not my native language, what do you mean ? ^^'

They'll be hard to play, and hard to play well, but if you play well you can beat anyone. Basically.

Guys FAQs are up. Moment shackles got a massive buff. It's just whatever strat you use next is FREE but it's limited to command phase hmm.

Where do you see it's limited to command Phase? FAQ just says:

Captain-General Trajann Valoris, Abilities,

Moment Shackle

Change the last bullet point to the following:

‘The next Stratagem you use this phase costs 0

Command Points.

Guys FAQs are up. Moment shackles got a massive buff. It's just whatever strat you use next is FREE but it's limited to command phase hmm.

Where do you see it's limited to command Phase? FAQ just says:

Captain-General Trajann Valoris, Abilities,

Moment Shackle

Change the last bullet point to the following:

‘The next Stratagem you use this phase costs 0

Command Points.

I am blind and incorrect. It's any 'next strat'. Nice.

About trajann new abilitie, would that be really powerfull to use it for the inquisition strat who allow you tomake a orbital bombing for 4 CP ? Didn't even know this thing exist so i would like to use it but idk if its really THAT powerfull

Gotcha

I will use it anyway for the purpose of the lulz but maybe not in a competitive list then.

So far, wich inquisitor would be great to take in a custodes list ? Im already plan to take a assassin, the vindicare i guess, but im not sure about the inquisitor. I was aiming for greyfax to deny the overwatch but im not sure she is still worth now ow is a stratagem

Don't forget you can only take 1 Agent of the Imperium (Assassins and Inquisitors) per detachment. So you have to run 2 detachments if you want one of each...

I guess the basic inquisitor with cp regen will still be the one most used?

Trajann's update is great, I have Bobby G painted golden, but it didn't really work before. Now I think I'm going to give it another go, starting with 15CP with Trajann essentially giving you another 3 and +1 per Round... I feel like Scrooge McDuck!

It really depends what you're looking for. Xenos for cp-generation can work, but if you want psychic support you either go with Greyfax or a Malleus Inq (either Coteaz or no-name). Greyfax is better at denying, Malleus will give you better offensive output. 55p and 1cp for a 2 cast, 2 deny caster that you can give a -1 to wound relic is pretty sweet.

Terrify as a power was an auto-take for me, but now seems less relevant. The Hereticus power Ascertainment is a really good debuff though. Other than that I tend to pick Castigation, because targetable smite is good, and Mental Interrogation for debuff and potential CPs

I’ve been playing around with the idea of taking Greyfax alongside custodes. As far as I can tell (someone please correct me if I’ve read this wrong), psychic actions only “sacrifice” your psychic phase, as opposed to other actions where you have to do nothing for a whole turn. Given that grefax is a cast 1, deny 2 psyker, you’re not really giving up too much by having her go with mental interrogation (or even psychic ritual - go big or go home), and you still get the benefits of her anti-psyker abilities in the opponent’s turn. Am I reading that right?

Considering Bolter Bikes and Salvo Launcher Bikes now both cost the same number of points, and the Salvo launcher has 'Blast', and No longer takes a penalty to moving and shooting, does anyone see a place for 1 or 2 in a bike squad? What ratio do you think would be best?

As far as the Pytherite and Adrasite spears, i don't see the point in them...if the guard are close enough to use them, they want to close and get into melee. Adrasite has good damage, but the strength only being 5 hamstrings it. The Pytherite spears only get 1 shot, at 12 inches.

Considering Bolter Bikes and Salvo Launcher Bikes now both cost the same number of points, and the Salvo launcher has 'Blast', and No longer takes a penalty to moving and shooting, does anyone see a place for 1 or 2 in a bike squad? What ratio do you think would be best?

As far as the Pytherite and Adrasite spears, i don't see the point in them...if the guard are close enough to use them, they want to close and get into melee. Adrasite has good damage, but the strength only being 5 hamstrings it. The Pytherite spears only get 1 shot, at 12 inches.

if i play bikes think i will go full salvo. I am pretty sure hordes are dead with all the nerfs to them. And i think we will see a LOT more vehicles thats why i focus on anti tank shooting.

The first list i will test is this:

Dread host

Trajann 190

biker SC (salvo, WL, strategic mastermind, emperor's companion, Auric Aquilis ) 175

termi SC (axe, superior creation, Eagle's eye ) 115

5 Allarus (4 axes 1 spear) 345

Caladius (balze) 225

Caladius (balze) 225

Telemon( fist,storm ) 295

Ares 430

that's 2000p

The Telemon is going to the middel of the board or somewhere near it in cover.Tanks in the back field with Trajann Allarus and Termin cap. are going to deep strike and use Golden light of the Moiraides. I will try to DS within 12" of an enemy character so i can shoot it and then charge in with 78% chance (including CP reroll) of making it.

any thoughts?

Edited by nordsturmking

I've been toying with this question myself. So far, what I've landed on is that it's best to pick one or the other for the squad, rather than mixing and matching. The stratagem to autowound on 6s to hit is excellent for a healthy unit of bikes with hurricane bolters, to the point that a squad of 6 would have roughly the same damage output on a T7 3+sv tank as the salvo launchers (the D6 damage is swingy - you could do much more damage potentially, but you could also do much less, and on average comes out about the same). So that's something to consider too - if you can use the strat on the bikes (i.e. you don't have another unit in mind to use it on), then the hurricane bolters can be flexibly applied as anti-tank. 

Ultimately (and probably unhelpfully) it depends on the context of the rest of the list - are you relying on the bikes for anti-tank, or is it just a handy option you want? Do you have enough CP to burn on making them autowound on 6s over multiple turns? Will the bikes be ok in rapid-fire range, or would you prefer to engage from a distance? What's your meta - as nordsturmking notes, we will probably see a shift to vehicles and away from hordes. 

Finally......there's always magnets!

No lie, I'm expecting the first big tourney winner to be a horde army, because everyone just presumes Hordes are dead, and so won't bring anti-horde stuff.  :p

And honestly, I struggle with hordes in my Custodes list.  Hoping 9th helps with that.

Most people seem to be defaulting to Dread Host for the 3d6 charge, but I don't think it's as reliable as it seems at first glance. Especially now when you have to command reroll all dice, not just 1. According to Goonhammer math, 3d6 with reroll all, drop lowest is slightly under 60% to get a 9" charge. I think it's because we all wanted a more reliable charge for custodes and then Dread Host comes along and it seems like it's what we wanted. But I think it might be a trap.

I wouldn't leave Vexilla out just yet.

I don't trust that 3d6 charge. I tried it once, in my last game of 8th ed. and even with the old command reroll it failed to get my fistymon in.

The more and more I think about it, I might like all the other SHs more.

Do you guys think DH will be the no.1 or one of the others will end up being better? Shadowkeepers and Solar Watch are the obvious contenders, but even Aquilan Shield might be pretty good, especially with the bodyguard ability (Terminator bodyguard is pretty resilient now)

Thoughts?

Most people seem to be defaulting to Dread Host for the 3d6 charge, but I don't think it's as reliable as it seems at first glance. Especially now when you have to command reroll all dice, not just 1. According to Goonhammer math, 3d6 with reroll all, drop lowest is slightly under 60% to get a 9" charge. I think it's because we all wanted a more reliable charge for custodes and then Dread Host comes along and it seems like it's what we wanted. But I think it might be a trap.

I wouldn't leave Vexilla out just yet.

I don't trust that 3d6 charge. I tried it once, in my last game of 8th ed. and even with the old command reroll it failed to get my fistymon in.

The more and more I think about it, I might like all the other SHs more.

Do you guys think DH will be the no.1 or one of the others will end up being better? Shadowkeepers and Solar Watch are the obvious contenders, but even Aquilan Shield might be pretty good, especially with the bodyguard ability (Terminator bodyguard is pretty resilient now)

Thoughts?

the probability for a 9" charge with 3d6 with reroll all, drop lowest is 78% shown in this table from goonhammer

https://d1w82usnq70pt2.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/3d6-Success-3.png

As far as SH go i will either take Shadowkeepers or Dread host. Both for the stratagem. I think most people will use Dread Host because everyone wants to play their terminators.