9th and Custodes

Found on facebook/reddit, the Custodes list who made 2nd on the first V9 tournament

https://i.4cdn.org/tg/1596169254231.pdf#page=1&zoom=100,-193,1418

I am gobstruck he didn't add one more Custodian in one of those troop squads, he had room for another 59 points.

Obviously wouldn't have made a big difference no doubt, but one never knows.  Especially if it was a second sword and board on the center board or something.

The list was written with 8th ed. points.It is 2000 points with 9th ed. points

Edited by nordsturmking

Please forgive the rookie question. I have my first Custodes game here soon and wanted to play 100%. If I pay the stratagem to include an assassin that breaks the “all Custodes” bonus to my invul save correct?

You don't need to use a strategem anymore. The rules were updated in Psychic Awakening: War of the Spider.

You can now include one Agents of the Imperium unit, that is one Assassin or Inquisitor, in each Patrol/Battalion/Brigade detachment in your Imperium army. They do not take a slot and do not break any detachment abilities for your force.

You then have a strat called Shadow Assignment (I think) that allows to you to swap out the Assassin you have in your list for another.

• 2 weeks later...

Well. Marines necrons and apparently all other armies are apparently getting quite the shift in their stats. .. especially wargear.

Many crossed fingers for a huge overhaul to our weapon profiles. Essentially all of them need an update.

I'm not kidding. Pretty much every gun and cc weapon besides maybe base Custodes spear shooting or sentinel blades shooting needs a tweak or two.

Melta being more dangerous than adrathic makes aboutttttttt no sense.

Everything about custodes needs a bump, from wounds and attacks to volume of fire and damage. I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot more flat damage melee weapons and for custodes to gain 1-2 wounds across the board. The sudden increase in flat damage 2 weapons is going to seriously mess them up otherwise.

Alternatively they could all get a 'halves damage' ability for infantry and bikers or some such to treat allt he new 2 damage weapons as 1.

Edited by Marshal Valkenhayn

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/09/14/codex-space-marines-weapons-and-wargear-updates/

Changes to storm shields. Why is this being sold as a win for us? Its a big nerf to lose out on our 3++.

Edit: Im wrong, Detachment bonus pushes this back to 3+

Edited by MeatGrinder

That’s a bit much .

And that's a bit of an understatement, why don't we also get insta win strat too?

Flat damage on weapons yes.

Complete rework to adrathic weapons? Yes.

Stat changes to Custodes?

Ehhh I disagree especially if we stay one of the only armies that gets a 3++ going forward.

I wonder if your opinion on this has changed now that we're starting to see the buffs available to Necrons and SM in 9th. Offensive output has continued to go up, Necron survivability is way up (which I agree with). We've also seen the release of Heavy Intercessors, which will likely be significantly cheaper than a Custodes with the same toughness and wounds, worse armor, no invuln, worse melee, but better shooting.

I'm still looking at Custodes and feeling in my gut that on top of new stormshields, they'll probably need a wounds bump across the board, or else a way to reduce all damage they take by 1. Something that comes out to roughly 1 attack, 1 wound, and possibly every unit can shoot overwatch?

Armies are going up to the next level. I don't want to see the golden boys left behind.

That was my initial impression but apparently unless the change the wording the detachment bonus would still make the detachment shields 3++ so it's definitely a big win for Custodes

I feel like an idiot that I didnt consider that. So it is as buff to us.

That’s a bit much .

And that's a bit of an understatement, why don't we also get insta win strat too?

Flat damage on weapons yes.

Complete rework to adrathic weapons? Yes.

Stat changes to Custodes?

Ehhh I disagree especially if we stay one of the only armies that gets a 3++ going forward.

I wonder if your opinion on this has changed now that we're starting to see the buffs available to Necrons and SM in 9th. Offensive output has continued to go up, Necron survivability is way up (which I agree with). We've also seen the release of Heavy Intercessors, which will likely be significantly cheaper than a Custodes with the same toughness and wounds, worse armor, no invuln, worse melee, but better shooting.

I'm still looking at Custodes and feeling in my gut that on top of new stormshields, they'll probably need a wounds bump across the board, or else a way to reduce all damage they take by 1. Something that comes out to roughly 1 attack, 1 wound, and possibly every unit can shoot overwatch?

Armies are going up to the next level. I don't want to see the golden boys left behind.

That's a no from me. Same stance as before. We now have the 1+ save needing -2ap to get us to a 3++ on storm shield guys. Which means most the shooting from those heavy intercessors is useless or at least low odds to actually do harm. A 5 man squad with optimal load out is only killing between 1 and 2 primaris marines. Even less against guard and wayyyy less against sword board boys.

Or guns still need a massive boost. We need weapons with flat damage. And gawd I want adrathic guns to be nightmare inducing like their lore makes them out to be. Not...weaker melta.

I will concede that our dreads now need more survivability since we lost the true half damage strat :(

I think flat 3 damage fits adrathic enough. They aren't really as powerful as Melta, but more versatile.

As for Stormshield changes... AWESOME. Losing Custodes because you rolled a 2 against an AP-1 weapon always felt bad. Awesome change.

Why do we think that adrathic are less powerful than melta? The emperor didn't go on a crusade to round up all the melta weapons but he did with adrathic.

Just make it flat 3 mortals and I would be happy even at str5.

Update with the changes to character buffing core units: assuming custodes don't get an exemption, now I would think updating number of attacks in their profile is owed. Missing hits was hyper unlikely with a well positioned Custodes force. Now our shield captains are more likely to miss than our troops.

Auras in general seem pretty weird to me on Custodes from a fluff perspective besides banners doing their auger sensor info or scrambling enemy sensors.

Auras and hitting better because a shield captain is nearby? Weird for Custodes.

I would be fine with dropping reroll hits entirely if we got an extra base attack on our profile.

Saves time and rerolls.

I suspect most if not all of the weapons that see updates will be the ones with stat lines written in 1st/2nd edition that have had some creep issues over the years, at least the majority shown have been. I mean that was when an Autocannon or Twin Las were the absolute top end :D 

That said Storm shields show that isnt the only thing on the table (theyre old enough but have been tweaked a few times since) and flat damage would be a nice tweak!

Having run several games since WOTS and 9th dropped, i have to say, the new stratagems, the negligible points increases, and the larger pool of CP to work with has made my Custodes really pop, winning convincingly several times now.

Of all the big surprises. Melta missile bikes have to be the biggest one. With Archeotech munitions, and a Jetbike captain nearby, they're reliably popping a vehicle a turn with shooting, and another target on the charge a turn.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the shields have gone official. The useless land raider remains useless even if the guns are better.

Yes, I would have preferred at least a points drop to go along with it. I had also hoped that spears might get rid of d3. Oh well. 

Well the shields have gone official. The useless land raider remains useless even if the guns are better.

Yes, I would have preferred at least a points drop to go along with it. I had also hoped that spears might get rid of d3. Oh well.

well, I mean, changes like that would surely come in a codex. This update was only for weapons from the new codexes that are shared by other armies (like storm shields).

So you can keep your hopes up still.