Hopes for 9th edition

Saintspirit

Yeah I'd be fine with some ranged weapons having a pistol profile or a support system or stratagem or whatever that does something similar. Of course T'au would develop something so they aren't completely defenseless in case they get caught in melee (how FLY works in 8th is actually a good improvement since we can just fall back and keep shooting). Just actual melee weapons is a no-go imo.

Flecette micro missles, range 10" pistol 2

Yep. No melee options.

Instead what panzer said, pistol weapon, or pistol fire option for certain weapons.

A relic onager is fine. But that shouldn't become standard equipment.

Now they could do a "pulse driver" and make it a heavy pistol1 ranged version of a power fist

Edited by Triszin

The nerf to FLY is harsh. Luckily I already bring enough Kroot anyway so now they can just go and screen my important stuff. :biggrin.:

Yeah I'm going to have to start getting better at positioning and moving to keep my suits firing. 

That or take maneuvering thrusters to get that extra distance.   

Some interesting points there. Just further pushes the need for at the very least their crisis suits and veteran units in such suits to go to WS4 and BS3.

Also, another straight up Drop-Kick to the Stormsurge. With the change to modifiers, it better get to be Ballistic Skill 3+ or again, nerfed AGAIN despite being one of the worst super-heavy units in the codexes (it is having a serious rumble for worst super heavy with the Eldar one).

However I stand by that due to the changes, tau do need some method of actually not being dead on arrival if melee gets there. Not saying Tau should suddenly be busting out the martial arts but would be nice to see more pistol based weapons. I do like that micro missile idea though I would likely reduce the range but up the shots, maybe making it a blast weapon.

I mean, the modifier change is good but still...Stormsurges need some love.

Really depends on the target, stormsurges have a built in +1 via the anchors. So if you know the shot is going to be -1 you can brace for +0 or just brace for +1 and that is before markerlight bonuses.

The BS 4 now is just to make sure it doesn't get a BS 2+, which seems to be reserved for commanders.

I'll just park my Breacher filled Devilfishes infront of my vulnerable shooty units and if the opponent gets too close I'll either be in his way so he has to charge the Devilfish so I can in return disembark and shoot him to hell, or disembark, shoot and then charge with the Devilfish itselfs. I love surprising my opponents by charging with T'au. They never see it coming. :D 

Really depends on the target, stormsurges have a built in +1 via the anchors. So if you know the shot is going to be -1 you can brace for +0 or just brace for +1 and that is before markerlight bonuses.

The BS 4 now is just to make sure it doesn't get a BS 2+, which seems to be reserved for commanders.

Hmm...no. BS2+ can be hit by firesight marksmen who I will remind all here in lore are grunts slapped with a markerlight and some sniper drones to babysit. Why are elite hammerhead crews suddenly inept with their new charge when it is apparently something they are rigourously vetted for and even train with.

The baneblades of the imperial guard make some lick of sense as to why they aren't pro-shots (less vetting, not as hard trained) but this massive thing which is supposed to be more akin to a walking turret of guns can't even be a GOOD stationary turret of guns without having to lean on one support gimmick just to be where it should be to begin with. You got shot at by a stormsurge, odds are good it will flub the shot unless the target is lit up with markerlights.

GW seem to still have a stigma about tau from 7th edition.

It is simply a case that BS4+ is NOT adequate for what the stormsurge is supposed to be which is a massive gun platform. It achieves being that in name only as the moment you know it's BS4+ you suddenly notice that 50% of that firepower is completely wasted.

To be fair, if the Pulse Driver Cannon and Cluster Missiles are becoming Blast weapons (which seems to be the case for ANY weapon with D6/D3 shots by the seems) then I suppose then that helps A LOT because with that it can somewhat make up for the rather lacklustre shooting power it had versus various units (to be honest, writing that does help my mood) since then the clusters will bottom out at 12 shots against 6-10 man squads and rock a rather staggering 24 shots against anything bigger than 10.

...hmmm...having wrote that there may be some ground being gained back but still...I stand by my point regarding crisis suits needing to be BS3+ and WS4+ by default, NOT a FSE exclusive stratagem.

Every Tau unit larger than a Stealth Suit should be BS 3+ at minimum, but GW's game designers think otherwise and prefer us having Shield Drones instead. 

Note that the Cluster Rockets would bottom out at 3 shots against a 6-10 man squad. The BLAST rule is worded as 3 shots minimum per weapon, not per dice rolled.

Note that the Cluster Rockets would bottom out at 3 shots against a 6-10 man squad. The BLAST rule is worded as 3 shots minimum per weapon, not per dice rolled.

Not true. We see at the Wyvern example that it's per dice rolled.

All the Wyvern example says is that you get max shots at 11+ (24 shots), not that you get 12 minimum shots vs 6-10 model units.

The marksman should be dropped to BS 3+ or better yet BS 4+ with a re-roll mechanic for that targetting array they have. Might match up better fluff wise. They are pretty good just by having the character keyword.

All for suits getting a bump in BS and WS, but the stormsurge is fine with a 4+ just due to how unweildly it is. They are piloting a mobile battleship turret after all.

Well considering my attempts on facebook to get an answer from someone other than one person not understanding my argument regarding the FAQ, don't trust ANYTHING within the articles is something I remember.

Because as it stands, with what is being argued; Combi-meltas don't get the benefit from Long-Range Marksmen for the Meltagun (it isn't the Maximum range) nor does the Pulse Blastcannon benefit from Bork'An in any menaingful way. (yes, that ruling has precedent to cause this which is why I asked it and e-mailed GW. This one person on facebook who is insistent on being the only answering party doesn't seem to grasp that. One ruling having an effect outside it's FAQ possibly unintentionally needs addressed ether in ALL FAQs with such abilities or for the answer to be clarified better).

Honestly, I just want forgeworld units to be acknowledged in some capacity- ideally by being integrated into the army book and maybe a fluff blurb or two. Maybe some special strategems or reworks to accomodate them.

Oh, and sept tenants for kel'shan would be nice-- really want to run shaso ralai properly

Edited by The_Chaplain

I do wonder if the drone savior protocols rule has changed any

It’ll be interesting to see. I was thinking earlier of two things to change saviour protocols:

- make the 2+ pass happen after a unit is hit rather than wounded

- give drones a 5+ invulnerable and no FNP (there would be no need for a FNP if the saviour protocol kicks in after the unit has been hit, rather than wounded).

That way it doesn’t matter what damage the attack does. I think a slight points reduction for shield drones would then be fair to compensate.

Just a thought, I haven’t tested it.

It’ll be interesting to see. I was thinking earlier of two things to change saviour protocols:

- give drones a 5+ invulnerable and no FNP (there would be no need for a FNP if the saviour protocol kicks in after the unit has been hit, rather than wounded).

That way it doesn’t matter what damage the attack does. I think a slight points reduction for shield drones would then be fair to compensate.

Then Shield Drones should cost half or less what they cost now, those would both be massive nerfs. 

I'd like to see them happen, but in the new codex alongside massive buffs to other aspects and units of the army.

Then Shield Drones should cost half or less what they cost now, those would both be massive nerfs.

I'd like to see them happen, but in the new codex alongside massive buffs to other aspects and units of the army.

Oh totally. I’d like to see more bonuses to movement and marker lights. Totally agree that this shouldn’t be in isolation. Which is part of the issue with how GW have done it before. They blocked off commander spam but didn’t make Crisis suits better so they could be taken as an alternative. They nerfed shield drones and had to immediately rework the rule because it nerfed them too much.

However I stand by that due to the changes, tau do need some method of actually not being dead on arrival if melee gets there. Not saying Tau should suddenly be busting out the martial arts but would be nice to see more pistol based weapons. I do like that micro missile idea though I would likely reduce the range but up the shots, maybe making it a blast weapon.

Krootox are a decent counter-assault unit since TGG came out. A basic unit with 1CP puts out 12 S6 AP-2 D2 attacks at WS3+. They have done serious work for me in the fight phase.

Their shooting is meh and they are not fast enough to use as an aggressive asault unit but as a counter-assault unit that can contribute to the shooting phase they are alright. They key is that they are pretty cheap so if they never get to really shine you have not sunk lots of points into an inefficient shooting unit - so long as they stay cheap in 9th they can still fill this role.

Just a question about 9Ed and how you would include FSE's The Eight. In 8Ed it already automatically cost you 3CP to include, and your WL had to be Farsight.

Now, since 9Ed you get CP refunded for the detachment your Warlord is in...does that make fielding The Eight will net you zero CP cost?

Which detachment would The Eight even fall under?

For Farsight's The Eight, anything that makes them more than just a fluffy unit would be amazing what are the chances they can belong here:

f7oWFd1.jpg

GW just needs to add the SUPREME COMMANDER keyword to the current profile and it would work. 

What are the chances?