Hopes for 9th edition

Saintspirit

Zero. The Supreme Command detachment is exactly 1 unit, not 8. :wink:
The Eight count as 1 unit (1 very big datasheet) for army composition purposes. Right now it takes a single LOW slot.

This is true. The detachment image shows 1 LOW slot or 1 HQ slot.

Since The Eight is already a single LOW choice where Farsight needs to be your WL, it's almost like a template for what the 9E Supreme Command Detachment has become!

Hoping for a  nerf to drones. Its silly that your roll to wound versus the target and then have a t4 jump in the way. Roll to hit, do interception, then roll to wound for whoever actually was hit. Shield drones are currently too OP. The Tau army worked fine long before they allowed non-wargear squads of drones to tank wounds, they will work fine with this minor nerf. They are still 4++ with a FNP.

That or only allow savior protocols for wargear bought drones and drones squads go back to their old jobs as cheap fast skirmishers and objective cappers.

I'm all for a nerf to drones if it also means a buff for the units they are currently protecting, because that's what would be needed. T'au units in general are overcosted compared with similar units of other factions because the saviour protocol is factored into the cost.

If your nerf just includes that Drones should intercept the hit instead of the wound, then I agree but I'd also say remove the 5+++ from the Shield Drones in that case because otherwise it would be a buff. Plus the 5+++ only got added because their native 4++ doesn't work against the mortal wounds from the saviour protocol which then wouldn't be needed anymore.

Edited by Panzer

I'm all for a nerf to drones if it also means a buff for the units they are currently protecting, because that's what would be needed. T'au units in general are overcosted compared with similar units of other factions because the saviour protocol is factored into the cost.

If your nerf just includes that Drones should intercept the hit instead of the wound, then I agree but I'd also say remove the 5+++ from the Shield Drones in that case because otherwise it would be a buff. Plus the 5+++ only got added because their native 4++ doesn't work against the mortal wounds from the saviour protocol which then wouldn't be needed anymore.

This is essentially what I’ve argued myself. But like you say, we’d need some sort of buff/cost reduction to make up for it.

I think we’re going to struggle early on in 9th. Castling seems to be the best tactic to survive, but not great for capturing objectives. I’m hopeful a new codex could help alleviate that issue by giving us more options.

Edited by VanDutch

FWIW, I also think Tau units are priced as if 1-2 markerlights are successful every turn. I would really like to see my three factions built from the ground up in 9th as they don’t seem capable of winning much due to core rule changes.

So, 15ppm Shield Drones and 10ppm Gun Drones. I guess it's back to Gun Drones then. :sweat:

HQ
Cadre Fireblade 45 (+6)
Commander XV8 85 (+13)
Enforcer 90 (+14)
Coldstar 110 (+20)
Ethereal 55 (+5 for drone) (+10)
Farsight 130 (+20)
Shadowsun 135 (+25)

Troops
Breacher / Strike Team 9 (+2)
Kroot 6 (+2)

Elites
Crisis suits 30 (+6)
Ghostkeels 110 (+40)
Farsight Marksmen 30 (+9)
Riptide 245 ( don't panic!) (+60)
Stealth Suits 18 (+4)

Fast Attack
Pathfinder 11 (+6)
Drones - Gun & marker 10, shield drone 15 (!)

Heavy Support
Broadside 45 (+10)
Hammerhead 155 (+55)
Skyray 100 (+20)

Dedicated Transport
Devilfish 75 (+5)

Flyer
Razer shark 100 (+40)
Sunshark 100 (+30)

Lord of War
Stormsurge 280 (+120)

Weapons
AFB 8 (+0)
Burst Cannon 8 (+0)
CIB 18 (+0)
Cyclic Ion Raker 0 (-20)
Flamer 5 (-1)
Fusion Blaster 15 (+1)
Fusion Collider 5 (-20)
Heavy Burst Cannon 0 (see!) (-35)
Heavy Rail Rifle 25 (+0)
High Output BC 15 (-1)
HYMP 25 (+0)
Ion Accelerator 15 (-35)
Ion Cannon 5 (-30)
Ion Rifle 5 (-2)
Markerlight - for FW 5, 0 otherwise (-3)
Missile Pod 15 (+0)
Plasma Rifle 8 (+0)
Rail Rifle 10 (-2)
Rail Gun 0 (-30)
Seeker 5 (+0)
SMS 15 (+0)

Support Systems
ATS - GK/Riptide/Stormsurge 20; other 5
Counterfire 10
Irradium 10
Drone con 5
EW override - GK / RT / SS 10; otherwise 5
Homing Beacon 20
Multi-tracker 5
Shield - SS 30; others 10
TL - GK / RT / SS 10; others 5
VT - GK/RT/SS 10; otherwise 5

source: https://www.reddit.com/r/WarhammerCompetitive/comments/hqccy4/xenos_point_values_9th_edition_40k/

Edited by Panzer

Looks like they are trying to get rid of as many extra weapon points as possible and just add to the actual unit costs for the units that have unique weapons. Still a big nerf to Hammerheads and minor one to devilfish. At least shield drones got a minor nerf.

So due to the detachment system, a storm surge was already a hard purchase both in real world money and its previous cost. Now its an addition 120 points or did the weapons drop drastically in price? I don't have my book on me to see what it normally has.

@Galron: I believe the current/8th edition storm surge base cost is 160, with ~117 in weapons in the base config (15 + 40 + 12 + 20 + 30)

edit: clarification for edition cost

Edited by The Blood Raven

Looks like they are trying to get rid of as many extra weapon points as possible and just add to the actual unit costs for the units that have unique weapons. Still a big nerf to Hammerheads and minor one to devilfish. At least shield drones got a minor nerf.

The points increase on Hammerheads is not that big to be honest. Keep in mind that almost every unit in the whole game got a price increase.

FAQs are out. Target Lock now allows rapid fire and heavy to advance and shoot with -1 BS penalty.

And the Stealth Drones haven’t been changed. They’re just backup for if someone targeting the Ghostkeel has +1 to hit.

Any word about points changes for forgeworld tau units?

Well it's most likely a mistake but for now the Ta'unar costs just 900p, weapons included. :sweat:

Well it's most likely a mistake but for now the Ta'unar costs just 900p, weapons included. :sweat:

What was it before? That seems very steep

Minimum 1129p currently. Keep in mind that the Ta'unar is far stronger than most knights and is closer to titans.

What was it before? That seems very steep

Minimum 1129p currently. Keep in mind that the Ta'unar is far stronger than most knights and is closer to titans.

Yeah, but a stompa has consistently been north of 800 points and is arguabley worse than either sometimes, haha.

Im very concerned about yvahra and rvarna point increases considering they were already kinda point heavy

Im very concerned about yvahra and rvarna point increases considering they were already kinda point heavy

Rvarna is 430 and Yvarhra is 395 base.

- DC 10

- CDS 10

- MT 10

- VT 10

- TL 10

- EWO 10

- ATS 20

- SG 40

-

Yikes, was hoping they were going to address the 40 point shield generators from 8th. Oh well.