Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Can anyone tell me when this sculpt's from?

Chaos Space Marines Chaos Lord

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Zephaniah Adriyen

Zephaniah Adriyen

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,525 posts

Hiya, lads. I've been wondering - when is this Chaos Lord sculpt from? I've got one as part of my "all old" Death Guard army, alongside some Plague Marines (all 3E or older) and a Finecast Typhus. Mine's in metal specifically. Note that this image is not mine, but my phone is far from cooperative. It's the same sculpt, however.

Edit: Answer was found - after Fulkes' research and cross-referencing with the thing I didn't think to do - i.e. look at Lexicanum for five seconds - he's a 3E metal Chaos Lord.

Painted-Warhammer-40K-CHAOS-SPACE-MARINE

Edited by Zephaniah Adriyen, 06 June 2020 - 06:09 AM.

"All power demands sacrifice and pain. The universe rewards those willing to spill their life's blood for the promise of power." - Sindri Myr

gallery_48988_15808_1006.pnggallery_48988_15465_989.pnggallery_48988_15465_2505.pnggallery_26154_15777_2719.pnggallery_30308_9518_3596.jpg

"There is no meaning, no purpose. We murder, we kill. It is mindless savagery, this UNIVERSE is mindless!" - Azariah Kyras

Grotsmasha

Grotsmasha

++ TORTOR PUMILI ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,823 posts
If it's not based, the year is typically on the metal tab on the bottom.

Fulkes

Fulkes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,034 posts
  • Faction: Templars, Sisters, Chaos

Looks like a metal Chaos Lord  which I'm guessing dates back to 3rd edition. Found one as an eBay listing:

glxWuio.jpg

• Zephaniah Adriyen likes this

My company inform me that their new primaris brother just don't fit in the safety harnesses. And the Chaplain won't let us ride unless we buckle up.

Zephaniah Adriyen

Zephaniah Adriyen

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,525 posts

If it's not based, the year is typically on the metal tab on the bottom.

Alas, he's based and finished, meaning I can't check for myself.

"All power demands sacrifice and pain. The universe rewards those willing to spill their life's blood for the promise of power." - Sindri Myr

gallery_48988_15808_1006.pnggallery_48988_15465_989.pnggallery_48988_15465_2505.pnggallery_26154_15777_2719.pnggallery_30308_9518_3596.jpg

"There is no meaning, no purpose. We murder, we kill. It is mindless savagery, this UNIVERSE is mindless!" - Azariah Kyras

Fulkes

Fulkes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,034 posts

Did some more looking and found him in 3rd ed style blisters, so he's at least that old. I don't think he's from 2nd though as the model style was a bit different back then.

My company inform me that their new primaris brother just don't fit in the safety harnesses. And the Chaplain won't let us ride unless we buckle up.

Zephaniah Adriyen

Zephaniah Adriyen

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,525 posts

Did some more looking and found him in 3rd ed style blisters, so he's at least that old. I don't think he's from 2nd though as the model style was a bit different back then.

Thank you, sir, that's all I needed.

• Fulkes likes this

Fulkes

Fulkes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,034 posts

Thank you, sir, that's all I needed.

Happy to put my Googlefu to good use!

eternal_warrior12

eternal_warrior12

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 123 posts
What’s most interesting is that there was a fantasy version of him. He just had two axes instead of a plasma pistol. I thought it was a cool crossover.
  • Fulkes and Zephaniah Adriyen like this

Toxichobbit

Toxichobbit

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,933 posts

Fulkes is right, he's from 3rd. He came out arounds the same time as the second Chaos Codex of that edition, if I remember correctly. He's pictured in that Codex.

• Fulkes likes this

pawl

pawl

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 233 posts
  • Faction: Heralds of Retribution (DA)
My first White Dwarf (April '99) featured this 😁

1iXoLaD.jpg
  • Warhead01, Kassill, Domhnall and 3 others like this

Xenith

Xenith

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 11,114 posts
3rd ed chaos lord, release date of 1999 or so.
  • Fulkes likes this

gallery_58096_14832_1433.gifgallery_58096_14832_1808.gifgallery_58096_11725_17801.pnggallery_58096_11725_17950.pnggallery_29004_9303_844.pngfriday-award.pngXX 

++ Hive Fleet Jabberwocky ++ The Baalite Feast of Blades 2016; 2018 ++

Toxichobbit

Toxichobbit

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,933 posts

Ok, so way before the second 3rd ed Chaos Codex. If he's '99 he probably came out with the first 3rd ed Chaos Codex.

• Fulkes likes this

Kassill

Kassill

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,104 posts
  • Faction: Vlka Fenryka

That's a fun throwback article for sure

Lo, there do I see my fallen kinsmen, Threads cut by the foe I now seek. In bloody battle I will engage him, And carve my vengeance from his flesh. No ale shall pass my lips, At no feast will I indulge. No foe shall stay my wrath, Until my brothers are avenged. Ever shall I hunt my quarry, Across the Sea of Stars. Whilst I yet breathe, I will not falter, Until Morkai claims his due.--Bjorn's Oath of the Lone Wolf

pawl

pawl

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 233 posts

That's a fun throwback article for sure

Not sure how legal it is, but I found a link with pdf scans of loads of old issues. There's a few missing, and it jumps from UK to US, but it was really cool being able to go through issues I've not read in a decade or more. Still have all my old WD's from when I was younger, but I can't get to them at the minute.

If it's considered okay I'll post the link.
  • Kassill likes this

Brother Tyler

Brother Tyler

++ FIDELIS MILITUS ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 22,008 posts
  • Faction: VIIth Legion

It's not okay.
  • battle captain corpus and Kassill like this

gallery_26_548_13550.pnggallery_26_6416_0.gifgallery_26_548_4494.pnggallery_26_6416_0.gifgallery_26_6764_14592.pnggallery_26_6764_3621.png

pawl

pawl

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 233 posts

It's not okay.

I assumed that would be the case, yeah. Never hurts to ask though. =]
  • Kassill likes this

Closet Skeleton

Closet Skeleton

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,444 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars

Ok, so way before the second 3rd ed Chaos Codex. If he's '99 he probably came out with the first 3rd ed Chaos Codex.

He isn't in the codex itself. 3rd ed didn't release everything in proper waves. First 3rd ed codex only had one model release with it, the original obliterators, but came very closely after the plastic chaos bikers and near the release of original Cypher. Everything else in it was a fantasy daemon model or part of the 2nd ed studio army or conversions from the 2nd ed era.

I'd guess he came out close to the Jes Goodwin plastic chaos marines which were also in between 3rd ed codexes.

Medjugorje

Medjugorje

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,340 posts

I know that Chaos Lord. But I dont know if he was released in 3rd Edition or back in 2nd Edition. He was a common model on the tables back then in 3rd Edition.

Xenith

Xenith

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 11,114 posts
Cone on guys. He wasn't in the 3rd ed codex because he was released after. The 3.0 chaos codex is mainly conversions and old metal csm.

This guy was released within 6 months of the chaos 3.0 codex, which was early 1999. When I started with the hobby.

gallery_58096_14832_1433.gifgallery_58096_14832_1808.gifgallery_58096_11725_17801.pnggallery_58096_11725_17950.pnggallery_29004_9303_844.pngfriday-award.pngXX 

++ Hive Fleet Jabberwocky ++ The Baalite Feast of Blades 2016; 2018 ++

MegaVolt87

MegaVolt87

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,260 posts
  • Faction: Iron Warriors

Cone on guys. He wasn't in the 3rd ed codex because he was released after. The 3.0 chaos codex is mainly conversions and old metal csm.

This guy was released within 6 months of the chaos 3.0 codex, which was early 1999. When I started with the hobby.

I think the inital one had like a gun hand with a melta barrel or something? Fist holding a SM helmet/ rock? 

gallery_154982_15362_23624.jpg

My Iron Warriors Project   Guns for the guns god!, Bullets for the Brass throne!

BrainFireBob

BrainFireBob

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 795 posts
That was way later. Like 4th ed later.

This is the original. 3rd ed. Have a nicely painted one with jump pack. My first time with painting fur.

Edited by BrainFireBob, 09 June 2020 - 02:23 AM.

GreaterChickenofTzeentch

GreaterChickenofTzeentch

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,224 posts

That was way later. Like 4th ed later.

This is the original. 3rd ed. Have a nicely painted one with jump pack. My first time with painting fur.

Yep. I have multiples from when I started up around 1999.

Prot

Prot

++ EQUES AEDITUUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 15,204 posts

Wow. I remember him. What memories. I had several copies as he was one of the easiest to swap an arm out. (Metal was such a pain to deal with back then.)

I made a nurgle version where I green stuffed tentacles where the plasma pistol should be. (It looked horrible.)

The rest of min were Iron Warrior variants... until the metal Iron Warrior Warsmith came out. It really takes you back. Without the best of glues, stuff would just fall apart randomly over time in transit. It really was a pain working on these models but now I realize that's the golden era. 

Man I feel old.

• MegaVolt87 likes this

Click to see....
gallery_2760_14273_30255.jpg
Instagram: @Prot40k

Lanparth

Lanparth

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 628 posts

That guy's from 3rd edition. They would come out with a very similar model a few years later (Head and arm swaps IIRC) in 4th edition.

I have one, used it as my Dark Apostle for years.

Excessus

Excessus

++ APPORTO FERMENTUM ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 6,626 posts
  • Faction: Alpha Legion, Thousand Sons

I got one of those in a box somewhere...I was thinking about doing a new version of him with all the awesome plastics we got now because he's quite small by today's standards. :)

"Deception IS the point. Any fool can calculate strength. That one has been doing it from the moment he saw us. Now, he has to calculate what he can't see. And fear what he doesn't know."

Alpha Legion Cell #379, Thousand Sons and other friends - The corruption of cell #379
The Serpent's Lair - Alpha Legion Forum
+++ DIU AD BELLI - Legion War! +++ (2017 ETL replacement)

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chaos Space Marines, Chaos Lord

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users