9th Edition: Reflections and Predictions for AM

I measured out board today to have a look at size. Getting a guard infantry heavy army on the table is going to be a challenge! I really do think you could feasibly deep strike deny almost the entire board (assuming current 9" bubble). 

I think that part of the detachment rules are to keep where possible monofaction preferable choice. Guard have a large array of options so I think benefit from this. From a games writing perspective its a lot easier to balance a codex than it is soup.

In terms of points increases for infantry - I think as long as proportionate its fine - fewer guard, but balanced by fewer enemy. Overall I think that desire to have a game you can get done in an afternoon or evening at 2k pts is an admirable goal. Smaller board, fewer models helps with that. 

My biggest grumble is I'm normally always tinkering away with various army list ideas - and since announcement of 9th haven't been as know going to be changes!! Have to get on and do some more painting! Heart goes out to Battlescribe too!

Looks like today’s rule trickle livestream indicates that vehicles can shoot at targets engaging them with non-blast and if they clear the models can fire other weapons at previously declared targets (this was expected)

What also was included, the -1 to hit modifier for moving and shooting heavy weapons only applies to infantry. This opens up a wide range of guard options for vehicles. Still waiting to see flyer rules (for my valkyries) but it certainly makes transports a little more advantageous if they can move and shoot at full (guard) ballistic skill.

Never useless :D

I never played with more than 4 IG squads this edition

I never considered my other 100 odd Mordians wasted :lol:

I have no intent or desire to add tanks to this army. I won’t care if it’s not the most competitive list, but I’d like to be able to still enjoy the game no mater who I play. I’d like to still have a chance of winning. I’m concerned I’ll still need 3 battalions, which will leave me with significantly less CP than my opponents, but I’m hoping that the ability to have an entire detachment of guard come in on a board edge from reserves will have power.

Some of these rules do seem to make certain traits relics and docterines useless and in need of a rework.

Why would you need 3 Battalions? That would be 18 infantry squads maxed out

A brigade would give you access to 12 in a single detachment which seems more than adequate? 

The missions are changing with this edition too which is another factor that will need to be considered if mass troops is viable

Smaller deployment zones will also make it tougher too I imagine 

Well, that’s what I was building towards. Even bought a case specifically ment to carry all 300 of my guardsmen. A brigade would be nice but we don’t have any troops in the fast attack section (though I would love some jumpy dudes). Points are going up, so I might not be able to field all 300 guys except at the higher point cost, that could provide enough CP for more detachments.

Not enough information to really know yet, but my concern is there.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/06/09/tanks-are-back-on-trackgw-homepage-post-1/

Hellhounds just got awesome. Autohit even in combat..... + blow up if killed + fast.

Screens still going to be important - infantry can still nullify many targets.

Oh didn't think about that

Even dual flamer chimeras could serve a purpose

I've always loved Hellhounds and they've been great for just as long :tongue.: This is a very welcome boost for Guard vehicles, in particular Sentinels and Valkyries will be much happier as units that should be mobile :smile.: I don't think it changes that much for infantry armies, as Guard tanks have always been the heavy lifters when it comes to damage - so a bonus to something you don't use shouldn't be a problem :wink:

There is much yet to come so whatever your thoughts may be it is too soon to cement them :smile.: So far it's looking good though.

My initial thoughts on this:

Punishers will like this...unless HF sponsors drop in price I think our Russes would still prefer to stay out of combat. Still, it's certainly an argument for full Allison loadings on siege tanks that push forward.

Flyers will love the new heavy rule, as will Taurox Primes. Scion transports can finally be properly mobile and effective as befits the army.

Hellhounds will indeed be fun with shooting into combat, Chimeras become more flexible as well.

The Tallarn doctrine will need an overhaul for vehicles, as it's redundant with this.

Overall definitely nice. Crious what they'll do to all the vehicles and superheavies that have ignoring the heavy-penalty built into their rules already.

I also wonder about the vehicles that ignore the movement penalty, I'm not sure what could be done. Perhaps granting them additional movement? Would be nice if they didn't lose the feature as for many it is part of their "thing". Maybe something more basic like ignoring the combat shooting penalty, or some ability to disengage better? We'll find out one way or another soon enough I suppose!

There may well be strats for that. And possible new regiment abilities and vehicle upgrades later, we know how sneaky the Tau are. I do wish tanks would try to crush enemies under their tracks for mortal wounds rolling into combat or while trying to leave. Even as few as D3. Or a roll for each model applicable where it's on a 1 or a 6, they take a mortal wound or something.

At first look blast weapons feel like a debuff for guard because blast weapons will work against our squads but our blast weapons won't activate against a lot of armies such as space marines. Also, if battle cannon etc are blast weapons then they won't be able to fire at a unit that's engaged them in combat. Sponsons and storm bolters could be essential on LR's with blast weapons. I suppose it all comes down to what is and isn't a blast weapon. It could make a triple flame punisher very interesting.

I'm happy with this, especially as we had heard it was 10 models. Full hits on 11+ is good, and a minimum of 3 on 6-10 model units is a nice way to ensure they have a bit more going for them. I think this is exactly what is needed to help against hordes but without penalising normal sized units. Blast weapons should be effective against large units after all and of course many of us remember the days of risky shots of targets a little too close to your Demolisher... :laugh.:

I'm pretty sure we heard that Blast weapons aren't flamers, so I'm imagining it's all the former blast template weapons. I don't think it's a problem for Guard as against smaller units you'd just roll for shots as you do now. I wonder if it'll push people to MSU more, but I think this is prevalent enough for other reasons at least currently so we'll see what happens.

For non-link version:

I believe Stu specifically said it didn't apply to flamers

Or I could be wrong I was only half pay attention :sweat:

Either way its addressed on the stream for those who want to rewatch