New Mechanicus Stratagem Question

Prot

Maybe I'm over thinking this, but I want to get a consensus to be safe.

The Strat is meant to be used by an Archeopter at the end of the movement phase. It shuts down Aura powers.

Specifically the text reads:

Electro-Fillament Countermeasures: 

"Until the start of your next turn, enemy model aura 'abilities' have no effect whilst within 6" of that unit."

Here's the scenario.

A ----- 5"----- Character------3"Archeopter-----3" B.

Hopefully this makes sense:

-We have squad A. They are within 5" of a character who possesses a 6" aura. 

-3" away from that character we have our aura disrupting Archeocopter. 

-3" further away from that we have Squad B which is also benefiting from "Character's" aura.

In this scenario, who if anyone gets the benefit of "Character's" aura? 

Thanks.

Edited by Prot

That is awfully worded. In fact it is worded so badly, it's almost impossible to even work out how it should work.

I think the simplest way it could work would be to say that Characters with Aura abilities do not generate said Aura if they are within 6" of the Archeopter.

But it could also be argued that units that would be affected by an Aura ability do not do so if they are with 6" of the Archeopter.

It could also be argued that individual models that are within 6" of the Archeopter cannot benefit from Aura abilities, but other models in the same unit that are themselves not within 6" could benefit.

I think an Errata is the only way this rule could be made to work.

Edited by Dam13n

Is that the whole wording?  If not, the entire wording might be helpful.

At least from the one sentence, grammatically the "that unit" at the end of the rule would appear to refer to the model with an aura - the model the stratagem is used on is usually referred to as the "target unit" or similar throughout the rule, which would preclude "that" as referring to the archeothopter.

So, my take on it is that no model can benefit from an aura if the target archeothopter is within 6" of the model generating that aura.

However, for an additional interpretation, the "that" could refer to a unit benefiting from the aura - u

Under that interpretation, the unit would benefit from the aura if within 6" of the model generating the aura, but could if outside of 6" if the aura is large enough (for example, from the 7" nurgle auras).

The rule you provided, at least from that snippet, is really not clear.

From that, I'd play it that any model within 6" of the Archaeopter loses its aura.

So if I had a Primus 5" from the Archaeopter, and some acolytes a further 5" on, I wouldn't have the acolytes on +1 to hit.

Why? Because the Primus is within 6" of the Archaeopter, meaning that his aura has no effect. So regardless of how close the acolytes are, the aura doesn't have any effect on them.

It doesn't say that the Primus' aura has no effect on other models within 6" of the Archaeopter, just that the Primus' aura no longer has an effect.

But that's just my take. I can see how you might read it differently.