Can terminators make a comeback?

Yeah, I just think the 4" move and slow advance makes them essentially a static unit. Never played them on the tabletop but I have to imagine they'd be super easy to kite.

Brian Pullen says on a Tabletop Titans battle report (Orks vs Death Guard) that Terminators are good this edition - the reason being this edition rewards things that can sit on objectives in the open, and terminators are relatively good at that (as are Razorbacks with Tactical Marine equivalents inside).

I would say their main issue is mobility after landing from teleport, if there's any need to rotate objectives as we had with the cards in 8th they will kind of be stuck in one area. I do like Tartaros for that reason and they fact that they can all take automatic D2 chainfists. I'll probably buy a box as a 2nd wave support unit.

I haven't looked over the leaked missions in detail, but my understanding is that the primary objectives don't rotate or change. Ideally you'd have 2 or more durable units as objective holders.

Maybe I should finish off those 10 Tartaros Terminators that are sitting on my shelf ...

Their combi bolters make them a decent fire base. The deep strike can have its uses and they can just be a counter punch unit. Their movement has never been an issue for me .

I guess as long as their charge distance doesn't get the same penalty as Advance they should be alright?

What weapon do you give them? I was thinking of giving them a lightning claw each and having them within range of Helbrecht - would mean hitting and wounding MEQ on 3s re-rolling both. Twin claws probably not worth it over the shooting though.

I don't have any problems with the 4" movement as by charging into close combat you mitigate it anyway.

Ways to make Cataphractii Terminators work you need to teleport them in and shoot something dead and assault something else, usually going for an objective. 9th is not going to just be killhammer so if you don't get many kills from them but win the game because you're holding the objectives then all is well.

The other way is to put them in a Land Raider. With obscuring terrain, you'll have solid chances to get then up the table for a turn 2/3 charge. Once in the enemy lines, they'll do everything you need them to (including die if they're a distraction).

And if the opponent hasn't got lines because they're being fluid and going into the obejctives game mid table, revert to the earlier suggestion of taking an objective ;)

Little tip for teleporting in - Veil of Time. That power gives a very solid chance of making the charge.

All with combi bolters and chainfists... you can pop Fury of the First to hit on 3+ in melee.

Oh nice. And with all the CPs we're getting there's no reason not to pop that for every assault they make really!

Chain fists are tasty. For me, I like 2 Chain Fists, 3 Power Fists and with each addition model over 5 I go for a single Lightning Claw trooper.

I like the utility.

Twin bolters all round for me. There might be a call for Heavy Flamers jumping out of a Land Raider, but I'd stick to the Twin Bolters for the range.

All with combi bolters and chainfists... you can pop Fury of the First to hit on 3+ in melee.

Oh nice. And with all the CPs we're getting there's no reason not to pop that for every assault they make really!

If you're playing Iron Hands, drop the Gorgon's Rage stratagem for an additional +1 to hit.  Your chainfists are now hitting on a 2+.

I don't have any problems with the 4" movement as by charging into close combat you mitigate it anyway.

Ways to make Cataphractii Terminators work you need to teleport them in and shoot something dead and assault something else, usually going for an objective. 9th is not going to just be killhammer so if you don't get many kills from them but win the game because you're holding the objectives then all is well.

The other way is to put them in a Land Raider. With obscuring terrain, you'll have solid chances to get then up the table for a turn 2/3 charge. Once in the enemy lines, they'll do everything you need them to (including die if they're a distraction).

And if the opponent hasn't got lines because they're being fluid and going into the obejctives game mid table, revert to the earlier suggestion of taking an objective ;)

Little tip for teleporting in - Veil of Time. That power gives a very solid chance of making the charge.

I had an 8th edition SW army built around terminators all set when our PA update came out.

The nurgle plague basically and upcoming 9th ended all dreams of glory as I got 0 actual tournaments with them.

However...I did play test the hell out of them.

SW terminators hit on 2s with all shooting (so I use combi plasmas) and all melee (including THs etc)

Movement of 5 (or 4 for other variants) doesn't matter if you make your charge.

Canticle of hate buff results in your terminators rocketing across the board.

9 inch charge plus 6 inch pile in and 6 inch consolidate means potential moves up to 21"

I would drop my 10 man unit on turn 2 and delete something with plasma then charge into whatever was left.

I always deep striked with a focus on my charge target and never failed a 7" charge (wulfen and ragnar have reroll charge as insurance)

If you are thinking about using terminators please dive in. The movement is not a deal breaker

If you're playing Iron Hands, drop the Gorgon's Rage stratagem for an additional +1 to hit.  Your chainfists are now hitting on a 2+.

Max +1 to hit in 9e

I am thinking terminators might be nice for going after tougher objectives in your enemies side of the field or in the open. Especially if you want to have 2-3 units performing the action to get the Guaranteed points. 

I will also add that if someone wants to get a lot of points? They HAVE to come to you in some manner to try and contest or claim, that alone is going to increase the viability of melee units, especially durable ones that can survive a turn of fire on the objective. 

I also see heroic intervention, especially extended range heroic intervention, being huge for getting or denying objectives. 

Edited by leth