Simple guide to stripping plastic & metal (no brand names!)

So I'd been digging round the Internet recently for guides to stripping models, and it seemed that nearly everything I could find featured cleaning products I can't buy in the UK. Rather annoyed by this I did some more research, and ended up writing this - https://warhamateur.com/guides/stripping-warhammer-models-the-easy-way/

It covers plastic and metal, with no brand names that might be unavailable or expensive where you live.

Let me know what you think - it needs some adjustments still, but I'm always happy for comments and feedback. =]

Edited by pawl
Updated link

I get some very odd results when I search for stripping models!

Good guide that, especially hint about leaving them overnight. I thought that might damage the plastic but I'll give it a go now.

It was surprisingly difficult to find suggestions for the chemicals I use, and any guides for using them - I'd imagined it would be quite easy!

Edit; okay, I was being slow then!

Edited by pawl

So I'd been digging round the Internet recently for guides to stripping models, and it seemed that nearly everything I could find featured cleaning products I can't buy in the UK. Rather annoyed by this I did some more research, and ended up writing this - https://www.thewarpstorm.com/topic102.html

It covers plastic and metal, with no brand names that might be unavailable or expensive where you live.

Let me know what you think - it needs some adjustments still, but I'm always happy for comments and feedback. =]

Hey Pawl, 

Is that your own forum? Looks really cool!

Your guide is great for acrylics on metals or plastic, but there's different types of paints and products (enamels, oils, pigments, lacquers) we apply to our minis, and then there's resin also. I could do a video tutorial if you guys think there'd be enough interest. 

Edited by Lovecraft0110

So I'd been digging round the Internet recently for guides to stripping models, and it seemed that nearly everything I could find featured cleaning products I can't buy in the UK. Rather annoyed by this I did some more research, and ended up writing this - https://www.thewarpstorm.com/topic102.html

Hey Pawl,

Is that your own forum? Looks really cool!

Your guide is great for acrylics on metals or plastic, but there's different types of paints and products (enamels, oils, pigments, lacquers) we apply to our minis, and then there's resin also. I could do a video tutorial if you guys think there'd be enough interest.

It is, yes, thankyou! It's actually been around in one form or another (and mostly dead) for years, but since October I've been tinkering with it on different forum software. It's not quite finished yet, but it's getting there. =]

Regarding the guide;

When searching for chemicals I had several criteria to meet. In no particular order they had to be: reasonably cheap, widely available (no brands), non-damaging to models, effective at removing paint, and not outrageously dangerous (some chemicals I've seen suggested require expensive professional-grade equipment to use safely)

For plastic models (the majority) isopropyl alcohol fit the bill.

For metal (older models and those often found on eBay) acetone was the choice.

Resin I have yet to find something suitable - some suggest that isopropyl alcohol can weaken it, and scrubbing hard enough to remove paint (with no chemicals) is enough to damage it.

The issue of paint is something I've not been able to explore fully, in part because I don't have easy access to enamel paints, varieties of lacquer etc, and also because I don't know how/if you would be able to determine their presence from sight alone if they required different chemicals. Oils and pigments I would expect to be removed using iso/acetone, but I could be wrong.

If you happen to have any insight on the above then I would be very interested to hear!

However, all that said, I think it's not entirely unreasonable to expect the majority of old models or eBay/second-hand purchases to have been painted using acrylics.

And lastly a video is something that I was hoping to do when I have chance to meet up with my brother, but that's something for in the future.

Again though, thanks! =]

Hey Pawl,

Thanks for the super detailed response. Again, your forum looks awesome. Can I join too? ;-)

You are totally right that 99% of all ebay rescues will have just acrylics. I was thinking of myself, rather than the average user, I guess? I had to strip one of my first , clumsy attempts at weathering (a Typhon), so alcohol wouldn't cut it...

A couple of reviews I have done:

Biostrip 20 spray bottle (the tub is different and is better for plastic...)

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/334393-review-biostrip-biostrip-20/?fromsearch=1

Wilko's paint and varnish stripper

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/341016-review-wilko-paint-and-varnish-stripper-all-purpose/?fromsearch=1

These are available in the UK too. Hope they help :)

Hey Pawl,

Thanks for the super detailed response. Again, your forum looks awesome. Can I join too? ;-)

You are totally right that 99% of all ebay rescues will have just acrylics. I was thinking of myself, rather than the average user, I guess? I had to strip one of my first , clumsy attempts at weathering (a Typhon), so alcohol wouldn't cut it...

You're more than welcome, of course! Just do be aware that it is still being finished off - it's only very recently we've let anybody know it's there!

I know there's plenty that will have models they themselves have painted with enamels/etc, and plenty that must be floating around on eBay, but I've been fortunate I guess.

What had you weathered with, and what did it take to get rid of it?

Many words!

My thanks brother! I can't lie though I'm afraid - I would find it difficult to add something like this in, simply because it doesn't meet the criteria above. Basically it's not quite beginner friendly enough (can't have people damaging anything because I told them to do something!), and outside the UK you wouldn't be able to follow it.

That said I do genuinely appreciate the effort to help, and if you've found something that works better then I certainly won't tell you you're wrong!

Edited by pawl

• 3 weeks later...

Depends, when you add 2 squads of FW models (Some of those are £50 for 5 models) in trade or have a massive collection that you want to use a new scheme on, much better than selling off on the cheap and re buying all new models!

Very true, although my guide will soon be updated to include stripping resin thanks to Lovecraft0110