Dark Angels and Primaris

nusphigor

Hello cousins!

I've been looking at the Dark Angels Chapter for ideas on how to paint a Primaris force i'm building and wanted to ask your thoughts on these new units in the chapter, both in lore and on the game.

Do you think an all primaris force is viable?

How about an all primaris force led by a normal marine or a chaplain?

Also, do you know if there is any primaris chaplains on the chapter?

Cheers and thank you

I believe I can answer that. 

As for your questions:

1. All primaris force viable - probably not. You would want either a Deathwing Component in your army, or a Ravenwing one, maybe both. I do have a few lists that rely on pure primaris, but before Nurgle's plague struck, I didn't get around to testing them. But in theory? Yes - my Dreadwing list should work pretty well (hint, it has a lot of plasma in it).

2. Works pretty well, but not as leaders - while I don't use a chaplain personally, having a Librarian in Terminator Armour for Righteous Repugnance and Aversion (while not as your warlord) is almost necessary for the Deathwing Knights.  

3. Lore-wise, primaris chaplains? Not to my knowledge. Whether on the TT whether we can take them? Yes. Personally I wonder whether with the 9th we will see Asmodai finally die, and get primaris-fied (shudder of horror). But currently? No. As it stands, the DA have accepted the primaris, but don't trust them.. surprise surprise.

Now let's talk about how we could make an all primaris list work.

Having any sort of plasma component (so hellblasters/inceptors/repulsor executioners/redemptor dreadnought) for a purely primaris force will work wonders especially with the Weapons of the Dark Age Stratagem (upgrades your weapons +1 damage). Now as a Dark Angel, you would want to overcharge your plasma (no joke), because of Grim Resolve (which if you stood still allows you to re-roll ones). Having a Master (whether in Gravis Armor, or regular) should work as well.

Primaris Lieutenants are feisty - equip them with a Heavensfall blade relic (don't remember the stats), and watch them wreak havoc in melee. Also they allow you to re-roll wound rolls (whether or 1, or in general, can't recall), which is automatically an auto-include.

Master in Gravis Armour/Lazarus - both good units, although I'd go for Lazarus personally. Azrael if we were overlook the whole no-firstborn stick but I digress

Aggressors (of the Bolt-storm Variety) - another good unit situated well to our ability to stand-still and shoot. Recently a tournament player done really well with 15 Bolt-storm Aggressors, so if your intent is to go-all primaris, then you would want at least 6 of them (2 boxes worth) in there. 

Intercessors/Infiltrators/Incursors - If your primaris force is more melee focused, then Intercessors with Stalker-bolt rifles are the way to go. If your primaris force is more ranged, then grab the Infiltrators/Incursors (the ones that deny deep-strike). Note, that Dark Angel inherently are more shooty than killy. 

Honorary mentions: Repulsor Executioner is a good gun-line tank, especially if it's armed with a macro-plasma incinerator. Personally mine is armed with the heavy laser destroyer (think my mathhammer said that option was better). Primaris Ancient - useful with your Aggressors in a bubble, or with your hellblasters to make them get up when they die. The Apothecary is also worth taking a look into as well, but the Ravenwing Apothecary is tougher, faster and more killy than any other apothecary version in our codex.

Hope that helps!

Edited by Skywrath

Yeah, Skywrath summed it up. A purely Primaris force CAN work, but for Dark Angels, if you're not using Deathwing or Ravenwing in any form... You're basically just playing Green Marines. The new Edition is bringing bikers, and Warhammer Community confirmed (so take it with a grain of salt) that the new Primaris Bikers are Ravenwing in Dark Angels

3. Lore-wise, primaris chaplains? Not to my knowledge. Whether on the TT whether we can take them? Yes. Personally I wonder whether with the 9th we will see Asmodai finally die, and get primaris-fied (shudder of horror). But currently? No.

Was that a shudder of horror because of Primaris, or because Asmodai is now even more dangerous? :lol:

Yeah, Skywrath summed it up. A purely Primaris force CAN work, but for Dark Angels, if you're not using Deathwing or Ravenwing in any form... You're basically just playing Green Marines. The new Edition is bringing bikers, and Warhammer Community confirmed (so take it with a grain of salt) that the new Primaris Bikers are Ravenwing in Dark Angels

3. Lore-wise, primaris chaplains? Not to my knowledge. Whether on the TT whether we can take them? Yes. Personally I wonder whether with the 9th we will see Asmodai finally die, and get primaris-fied (shudder of horror). But currently? No.

Was that a shudder of horror because of Primaris, or because Asmodai is now even more dangerous? :laugh.:

No, because I already know what Stobz's reaction is going to be to that ;p *winces at the thought of Stobz's crozius flying through the air*

But yeah, mostly because of Asmodai being primaris-fied. Although wouldn't it be ironic, that when the Lion awakens, he automatically dislikes Asmodai, banishes him, and Asmodai becomes a "new" fallen in the process? Sweet, poetic justice (pun not intended). But at this point, I'm derailing, sorry :blush.:

Edited by Skywrath

Where did warhammer community confirm this? I haven't ran across that bit of info yet.

Where did warhammer community confirm this? I haven't ran across that bit of info yet.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/05/24/warhammer-40000-more-models-revealedgw-homepage-post-3/

Except, there is one type of Primaris Space Marine requested more than any other… we’ve seen the tweets, the pleading Facebook posts and even the politely raised hands in Q&A sessions across the world. Well, White Scars, Ravenwing and other speed-obsessed Space Marines fans… now is your time to shine. Meet the Primaris Outriders. 

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/05/24/warhammer-40000-more-models-revealedgw-homepage-post-3/

Except, there is one type of Primaris Space Marine requested more than any other… we’ve seen the tweets, the pleading Facebook posts and even the politely raised hands in Q&A sessions across the world. Well, White Scars, Ravenwing and other speed-obsessed Space Marines fans… now is your time to shine. Meet the Primaris Outriders.

Oh nice. I completely missed that post I guess. I still wonder if maybe the phobos units will be added to the ravenwing with the next iteration of the codex. I think they fit thematically.

I think as there's Primaris Outriders and the blurry land speeder incoming we won't see any Phobos in the Ravenwing. I could be wrong though.

I think that likely too. The only time, I think (always like to be corrected tho!) that you could have freestanding ravenwing was back in 2nd ed when their bike could be destroyed but the rider live on. 

Thank you for your imput cousins!

However i dont really like the units of the ravenwing and the deathwing, hence the idea of only using primaris. But if there's going to be primaris bikes and speeders i might change my way of thinking...

Maybe i still have too much of Dorn in me and im stubborn XD

Now that i think about it, that is why i like the Dark Angels too. Because they are stubborn too. Silently stubborn but anyways.

So far I have 10 infiltrators, 10 Intercessors and 5 Hellblasters. I was looking to add to this force the contents of the new boxes when they come out, but maybe add some Agressors and a Redemptor.
But i have no idea what to use for HQ's. If i should use a Master (if primaris I don't know if there are other masters different from the named character or if normal marine for fluff reasons) or a Chaplain (i don't know if there are primaris chaplains on the chapter).

I know i won't use a librarian because i don't like filthy witches XD.

What would you suggest and why?

Cheers!

Another question cousins,

Are the mine infiltrators marines good in this chapter? (i always confuse the names of the infiltrators with the combat medic and the ones with the knives and the mine)
I still haven't built 5 of that kit and was thinking of maybe building them with the mine just to have a bit of diversity

They do well in more aggressive lists where their abilities and mines shine more, but dark angel chapter trait and stratagems tend to favour gunlist armies more if you’re going primaris heavy. Personally I’d focus on infiltrators/intercessors as your bread and butter troops and lean towards hellblaster castle or grav tank mechanised lists

They do well in more aggressive lists where their abilities and mines shine more, but dark angel chapter trait and stratagems tend to favour gunlist armies more if you’re going primaris heavy. Personally I’d focus on infiltrators/intercessors as your bread and butter troops and lean towards hellblaster castle or grav tank mechanised lists

Thank you man

It does really help to solve a question i had and simplifies what i have to do next.

3. Lore-wise, primaris chaplains? Not to my knowledge. Whether on the TT whether we can take them? Yes. Personally I wonder whether with the 9th we will see Asmodai finally die, and get primaris-fied (shudder of horror). But currently? No. As it stands, the DA have accepted the primaris, but don't trust them.. surprise surprise.

Just to expand a bit on this part

Since we do have a Primaris Chaplain artwork in our codex, i assume that they do exist in lore.... just not Interrogator Primaris Chaplain (thus no rule for them). For Primaris itself older fluff have the Dark Angels accept them because they need the reinforcement after one massive campaign failure & Rock being attacked, but not trusted (as shown in Vigilus Defiant where even Calgar & Kantor was suspecting rightly that the DA Primaris doesn't know anything about the mission that DA doing at Vigilus and are being used as meatshields).

The current White Dwarf fluff though seems to advance the lore a bit that the Dark Angels already accept  and embrace them (one of primaris was accepted in Deathwing, thus trusted with the secret. An interrogator chappy from the book War of Secrets vouched for them. Azrael too pleads with the other masters to give primaris marines a chance and personally oversee the Deathwing Ascenscion trial for that said Primaris to prove his point). DA hate the Tech Priests that are integral right now for the process of making peeps primaris, and want them out of the Rock ASAP and their secrets taken by the Techmarines & Apoths. So as far as this article talking imho, the primaris marines are treated as the same as normal battle brothers now. So you can go make a full Primaris marines composed army lead by a normal int. chaplain, and it won't violate the this fluff. Heck you can say those guys are heavily wounded normal marines who went through the primarification process (as stated in the lore in Psychic Awakening).

But then again, that same White Dwarf article was saying that Dark Angels have Devastator Centurions, and call Company Master, Captain... so take it as you will :wink:

That little snippet about formations with Centurions and hellblasters makes me hopeful that we'll gain access to Centurions at some point. It's silly that we don't have them now. We are the First, after all. Edited by JimVandy85

Thank you guys!

I have an Imperial Fists army that i made based on the horus heresy rules, but i also have some centurion devastators, which are at odds with the HH army. I was kinda looking what to do with them, as with the imperial fists they are devastating (pun intended) in a 8th ed game, but conflict reaaaaaaly hard with the army idea.

I thought the Dark Angels had access to centurions, i had no idea they weren't allowed to use them in the codex...

Anyways, the idea of the primaris army now stands in that a Primaris chaplain and his lieutenant are leading a task force of only primaris brothers in search for a relic from the Horus Heresy, the Malledictum Obiectum. Which may or may not contain secrets of the chapter, so imagine the face of the primaris when they discover part of the secret...