Noob Question about Fist Successors

Doghouse

I can never get my head around this for some reason so thought I'd just ask.

if you decide to make a Fists Successor but use two other chapter tactics do you get the Siege Masters tactic as well?

I'm not 100% sure on what I get to use if I take them as a Founding chapter but not use Inheritors.

Any help greatly appreciated. :)

For successor, I believe that you can take the chapter tactic (IE: IF Siege Masters) OR choose two successor chapter tactics from the table in the Space Marine Codex, but you cannot do both. 

So you can with Siege Masters (ignore cover)

OR 

you can go for something like Long-range Marksmen (+3" range) and Stealthy (cover save at 12"+)

You can't go for Long-range Marksmen (+3" range) AND Stealthy (cover save at 12"+) AND Siege Masters (ignore cover). I think that would be hella more OP than IF with thunderfire canons and whirlwinds already is lol.

Ah gotcha, nice one, thanks for the help. I thought that might be the case but recall hearing something else which made me doubt myself.

You might be thinking of the Legacy of Dorn, with the +1 against buildings and vehicles? If your army is a true IF successor, you get to keep that.

The quote from the IF codex supplement, in regards to getting Legacy of Dorn, it reads this:  "...every unit from your army is an IMPERIAL FISTS unit or every unit from your army is from the same Imperial Fists successor Chapter..."

I found it a bit confusing when coming back to 40k as well this last January. Once I realized that most of the main chapters tactics are two rolled into one already, then it made a bit more easy to understand. Like IF is two rolled into one: Doesn't care about cover, and 1 additional hit on a roll of a 6 with a bolt weapon.

I feel like there is a good video out there for all this, but I have not come across it yet.