Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tyranids in 9th Ed - Tactica

Tyranids Tactica 9th Edition 40k9

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Xenith

Xenith

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 11,001 posts

Hi all,

I thought I'd start a thread to get the wheels turning for how Tyranids will operate in 9th ed. So far we know about tanks/monsters, and blast rules.

I think 'Nids will be served well from this edition, despite no longer being able to tie up anks like they used to.

Carnifexes wil be interesting, with a dakkafex being able to advance, make 24 shots, charge, and keep shooting in combat. If the enemy thinks they can stop an acid spray tyrannofex from shooting by assaulting it, think again, as they'll eat acid twice on the charge and then twice in the next shooting phase. In fact, people will probably not charge them at all!

What else can you think of?

Summary:

Tanks/Monsters

Spoiler

Blast Weapons:

Spoiler

Overwatch

Spoiler

Terrain

Spoiler

Crusade Skills

Spoiler

Possibly real lst of BLAST weapons.

Spoiler

Point Changes:

https://docs.google....gakfbMebzj-Lfg#

Edited by Xenith, Today, 03:02 PM.

gallery_58096_14832_1433.gifgallery_58096_14832_1808.gifgallery_58096_11725_17801.pnggallery_58096_11725_17950.pnggallery_29004_9303_844.pngfriday-award.pngXX 

++ Hive Fleet Jabberwocky ++ The Baalite Feast of Blades 2016; 2018 ++

Redcomet

Redcomet

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 370 posts

Without seeing the entire rules set, and the points changes, it is really difficult to guess and theorize.

But a few thoughts:

Changes to monsters and shooting means a varied weapon build isn’t completely bad. 

Smaller tables means shorter distance for melee.

Terrain and cover changes could potentially be big. 

The boast weapon/horde interaction, could maybe make the tyranid warrior a viable choice to mountains of gaunts.

Azekai

Azekai

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,977 posts
  • Faction: Warp Locusts, Traitor Guard
I think hordes are going to be bad, barring some massive rebalancing to the deadliness of the overall game.

I think rippers are still going to be alright, as improved terrain rules will probably make them more survivable and maybe even untargetable in some situations.

Hopefully carnifex can also hide in cover, as their lack of Invuln save makes them fairly easy to pick off.

I think genestealers are going to become niche. The standard method of ensuring their survival, wrapping and tagging, seems to be going out the window, which means they will likely charge, kill their target, and then almost certainly die the following turn to return fire.

Corruption is our armor. Infection is our weapon. Immortality is our reward.

gallery_48988_13169_3872.pngETL_VI_Badge_Forum_Champion_Chaos_LATD.jCall_of_Chaos_11_Banner_01e.jpggallery_30308_9518_1272.jpggallery_30308_9518_1551.pnggallery_63428_7083_8312.png3DrnTQ5.png

Spacecow

Spacecow

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 218 posts
So far the rules change has made me optimistic. And to be fair that tank change was long overdue.

I do believe that they’ll try and adapt rules so nid players will be nudged playing with more monsters instead of the genestealers list. We already saw more stratagems for them in Blood of Baal.

It’ll be interesting to see their point changes. I hope for a lowering of most of the stuff!

Fingers crossed we’ll get an update soon after the launch rather than later.

Edited by Spacecow, 15 June 2020 - 08:33 AM.

• Jud Cottrell likes this
gallery_48988_15465_9161.png

Jud Cottrell

Jud Cottrell

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,142 posts
So the new overwatch rules were commented on today.

Overwatch is no longer a given! Units will have to pay CP to take advantage of it!

Also different terrain features can help too.

To my mind this a fantastic change.

Most of our smaller melee bugs have a hard time getting into combat and are usually diminished by the time they start to fight.

Hopefully this’ll give us a boost!
  • Gumo9 likes this

Xenith

Xenith

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 11,001 posts

Indeed, with only generally one unit able to OW, we should be good - added new sections to OP with more WarCom data.

gallery_58096_14832_1433.gifgallery_58096_14832_1808.gifgallery_58096_11725_17801.pnggallery_58096_11725_17950.pnggallery_29004_9303_844.pngfriday-award.pngXX 

Triszin

Triszin

++ INTERFECTOR ROBUSTUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,378 posts
I'm really looking forward to tervigons. Rwar
banana

tychobi

tychobi

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 526 posts
Smaller maps and effective terrain are great for swarmy and pals. I really hope they do not price out gaunts and other low end infantry too badly. 50% hike to cultists is scary. Lets hope carnifex and tyrants are not totally stymied by standing on a shipping crate!

Kill Maim Destroy

jgascoine011

jgascoine011

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 252 posts

The changes to force org are really going to screw nids over.

Lots of nids good units are in the HQ, heavy and elites sections.

Elites is not too bad because you can have a few spaces there and only one or 2 good units, but max 3 HQ and Heavy support hurts.

Hopefully when the new dex drops so things get moved about.

Alcyon

Alcyon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,231 posts
  • Faction: Revenants Chapter

Charging after falling back is getting a nerf as apparently falling back is now a stratagem that costs CP. Kraken takes a bit of a hit there.

Given Azekai's comment on Genestealers I've been thinking about a Jormungandr list; since their defensive bonus doesn't apply when advancing, Genestealers don't seem like a great choice there anyway. You could build a fairly strong firebase to deploy turn 1 (Exocrine, Tyrannofex, Hive Guard, Biovores) and then plan to attack out of deep strike turn 2 with Trygon Primes dropping Hormagaunts with the Arachnacyte Gland → Hive Instinct combo. As long as your charge target is something like a big screen, you could combo that even further with other deep striking units like Raveners since they don't need to be anywhere near the Trygon, just within 9" of the target.

The limits on daisy-chaining with the new unit coherency rules should make it harder to block deep strike. Also opens up options like using a Lictor to bring in Pyrovores or Zoanthropes to fix their range issues, or Trygons bringing Warriors - though you might not even need the guide since you can just come on from a board edge. We'll have to see how much PL/points shift and how much CP it costs to put those units into reserve. 

Xenith

Xenith

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 11,001 posts

Added possibl blast weapons to the list, basically anything random, so barbed stranglers, stranglethorns, venon and heavy venom cannons.

Annyoyingly, bio plasma is there. I'm 99% sure I read somewhere that carnifexes would be able to plasma spit in combat...which they could as a monster, but not now it's a blast...

Spacecow

Spacecow

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 218 posts
So the points ‘leaked’. Feel a bit deflated considering most unit points went up. :/

Not quite sure how a 1750-2k p army will hold up.

Most other stuff went up too, so it might not be so bad?

Are we just all going to play with larger point value armies?

Are nids officially garbage tier now?

Jud Cottrell

Jud Cottrell

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,142 posts
I know what you mean, I was expecting a slight pts drop. Like you said all other factions had an increase too so we’ll have to wait and see.

I reckon 2000pts will still be the most common limit for pick up matched play games.

I feel we’ll have to evolve or die.

Moving forward I’m going to try a more elite build with lots of big bugs and Warriors. Hive Guard and Exocrines will still probably be an auto include.

We need to experiment and do plenty of play testing. Might not be as bad as it feels atm.
  • Alcyon likes this

jbaeza94

jbaeza94

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,349 posts
Well slow down there. All across the forums /fb I'm seeing people complaining about how their army is now pointless and worthless because they're too expensive. While my 2k list is not 2k anymore, neither is anyone else's. We can always scale points to make the armies as big as we did before
  • Xenith likes this

"Honor the Legion" - Warcry and Motto of the Legion of the Iron Lions.
k0EYErV.pnggallery_26154_15777_7413.png

Spacecow

Spacecow

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 218 posts
I didn’t mean to be overly negative. I’m sorry if it came across that way. Last thing I want is give people the feeling it’s a cesspool in here too :/

I do think I hit a couple of your points in my questions.

It’s just that we weren’t in a super good place to start with but it was still ok.

With all the new space marines coming out and necrons with adapted new cool rules and stats ( which is great and I have 0 issues with) I’m worried how the bugs will hold up.

In essence dropping points to infinity isn’t the solution when it’s the unit rules themselves that need attention.
Some increases for units aren’t the end of the world, others are severely limiting and certain others are just enhancing the feeling of never taking that unit ever again :P

Having slept on it, I guess playing 2.5k army instead of the 2k to come at the same isn’t the end of the world.
But from a more competitive view, I do hope that new codex is coming soon.

On a positive note: I do like the faq addition to old one eye. Contemplating a fex built at this point.

Edited by Spacecow, Today, 06:11 AM.

Xenith

Xenith

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 11,001 posts

Added points change document to OP.

Seems ok to me. Points increases are in line with eveything else, though it's hard to see any winners. Nids seem hard done by, but then many other armies are too.

Termagants are 1pt more, not too band and in line with others.

Stealers had 2 pairs of rending claws right? So they go from 14 to 15ppm, which is ok.

Unfortunately it seems like Codex: Genestealers again.

• Spacecow likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tyranids, Tactica, 9th Edition, 40k9

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Spacecow