The Templars of Dorn, an IF Primaris Successor Chapter

The Pounder

OK, I've been asked by my brother if I would paint an army for him.

He saw the Templars I did a while ago and wants me to do something similar for him!

It'll be a purely Primaris project to start, I think has the intention of adding sisters of battle (he just loves the medieval religious look of both ranges!)

I've done a test model and was hoping for some feedback:

49992584982_708bb11be2_c.jpgTemplar

49992341571_e17a02d526_c.jpgTemplar

49992340176_45d938658a_c.jpgTemplar

49991817148_e6a6ac7c5c_c.jpgTemplar

49992586792_3b816a045b_c.jpgTemplar

As I said, he loves the idea of building a Crusade, with different elements of the Imperium ranges.

Some of you may of noticed that he's used both Black Templar and Impeerial Fist iconography.

That is intentional his main Inspiration was the Templar Brethren from the Horus Heresy range and he wants to bring that imagery up to present day 40k.

He's going to write up some back story for them, I'll post it once it's done.

All I know ATM is they're called "The Templars of Dorn"

Thanks for looking, I'll update as and when I finish stuff!!

The black Maltese cross (known in M40 as a "crusader cross") automatically makes me think, "Black Templar." You can keep this model as-is, for an allied detachment from a Black Templars army; to avoid being mistaken for Black Templars, your own IA Chapter should NOT use black armor with a crusader cross (Templars Marshals will adopt non-black colored crosses as part of their personal heraldry, if modelers on the Black Templars board are any indication).

I've finished the army leader for the Templars of Dorn! He'll be the Grande Master.

I used the Tor Garadon model as a base for the kitbash. Plus a Templar Brethren head to add a little more flavour.

The aim is still to make every man a hero, with his own added details.

Thanks for looking!

Thanks for the reply.

Though I’m happy with how these guys look.

I feel they’re as different as I want them to be.

The black armour was the reason for the project, it’s like saying Black Templars are too much alike to Death Watch!

• 2 weeks later...

I really like the Tor Garadon kitbash! Beautifully painted.

I will echo what others have said about the BT similarity aha, maybe if the white detail was bone coloured instead? Would lend them a sinister edge, maybe they are more radical in their crusades than the BT and accept the use of pyskers and even xenos weaponry? Could lead to some fun conversions (I hear Necron warscythes look good...!).

• 3 weeks later...

One of the fun things about DIYs is that no one else's matters. We've had many instances where members have used the same name for their DIYs, with plenty of Iron Dragons, Spartans, etc. My DIY is the Nova Hawks, which is a name that another hobbyist also used for their DIY.

Imagine that there is a single nebulous canon universe. Each DIY is in its own parallel universe.

Besides, there is official lore for similar duplication of Chapter names. There is an example of two Chapters having the exact same name and livery, the duplication discovered only when both were present at the same battle.

If you like the Templars of Dorn name and want to keep it, don't worry about any other DIYs that use the same name.

Haha!!! Not awkward at all.

Was bound to happen! I was amazed when my brother chose the name that it hadn’t been taken already!!

His idea for the Successor was to draw on the Templar Brethren from the HH series, thus using the Fist Iconography and Maltese cross.

He wanted them to be a Crusading Chapter (because it’s cool!) so we ran with it.

Should have some more Primaris to update this thread soon.

• 1 month later...

I've finally had a chance to work on the Templars of Dorn!

My brother has sourced a lot of parts to add a little more character to each model (after all every Marine is a hero in his own right!)

He's working on some fluff for the Chapter now, I'll post when he's done.

This is the first squad of Intercessors:

50276262456_c947ca626f_c.jpgTemplars of Dorn 

50275581303_bdcff00255_c.jpgTemplars of Dorn 

50276416942_d0e736805e_c.jpgTemplars of Dorn 

50276417812_84f1f298a8_c.jpgTemplars of Dorn 

50276413507_baa94cd536_c.jpgTemplars of Dorn 

Thanks for looking!

They're looking great and I love your twist on some familiar colour schemes. It actually has me thinking waaaay back to an old White Dwarf with a chapter called... the White Panthers, I think? I remember really liking the look! I think these guys look distinct enough from all their influences that you have achieved what you wanted; recognisable heritage for the force that simply pays homage to the most iconic Dornian chapters. I look forward to seeing them grow! :)

Marshal Mattias, thanks very much! That’s exactly what we were trying to achieve.

Something a bit different but taking cues from a number of Dornian Chapters (hence the red fists and black power armour!)

Bjorn Firewalker, cheers, glad you liked it, I don’t know where the head was from but thought it looked cool!

Had a productive weekend! I've managed to finish the High Marshal (Chapter Master) for the Templars of Dorn.

He's based on the Primaris Marneus Calgar plus some other bitz and bobs.

I really enjoyed the modelling on this one. There's something to be said for kitbashing! It's a lot of fun.

Thanks for looking.

Great job on the High Marshal! Will your IA Chapter fight with Black Templars Chapter tactics- no psykers, no scouts- with Imperial Fists Chapter tactics, with a mix of Imperial Fists successors' Chapter tactics (including those of the Crimson Fists), or will you create your own?

• 2 weeks later...
I've finished the first squad of Aggressors for the Templars of Dorn!

My brother chose to go with Grey Knight heads to go with the Crusader look.

I believe it makes them look a little bit more sinister.

Here's the pics: