Nusphigor's Descent into darkness - Project lost to oblivion

nusphigor

Answers

The small flame of a wax candle danced to an eternal rhythm surrounded by darkness.
She alone had endured when uncountable lives had been extiguished because they knew only a small fraction of what she has seen. Blood and pain entwined with the horrors and heresies she has heard of.
And yet she dances unperturbed amidst shadows eternal, like a beacon guiding lost souls into hades.

Rock splinters beside her as a body slams into it, staining her surroundings with crimson.

"REPENT!" says the robed figure in ebony armour.

"CONFESS YOUR ACTIONS AND BE RID OF THE SIN OF OTHERS. WHERE IS THE LOCATION OF THE DAMNATUS OBIECTUM?" yells the figure of hatred and redemption to the frail and mauled body in the stone floor.

Blood pours from the prisioner's mouth and slides through his naked torso where it ebbs and flows through innumerable valleys of scars and wounds.
"I... I am blameless... I am a son of the dracon..." says the weak figure as an impaclable armoured gauntlet breaks his jaw

"YOU ARE A CREATURE OF TREACHERY! A REMINDER OF THE WEAKNESS OF HUMANITY!" screams the figure of death through speakers made of iron and rage.

"REVEAL YOUR SECRETS AND EARN A QUICK DEATH. ANSWER MY QUESTION AND REDEEM YOURSELF" says the giant as he lifts the mortal by the throat

Burned eyes try to find the face of the figure that questions him, though his eyes had left him mere hours ago.
"sss... sleptus... sector... supra... montibus... infernus... may... he... forgive me..." said the husk devoid of passion and longing to live.

"MAY HIM ON EARTH FORGIVE YOUR SOUL" says the giant. Then closes his hand around the neck of the weakling human, severing his head from his body.

The lifeless meat falls to the ground as the imponent figure of the Dark Angel walks into the darkness, away from the sight of the ever dancing flame.

[caslonskullheader=00401E][/caslonskullheader]

Hello guys.
I wanted to make a thread for the new Dark Angels army i'm building for 9th edition.

The main idea of this project is to have a narrative task force led by a Chaplain searching a forgotten object from the horus heresy which contains clues to the chapter's past.
As the main idea of this army is to contain only primaris miniatures, I found that a story of a Primaris task force seeking answers might be quite cool, it might also present nice conflict with the inner circle giving a logical reason to why play against other Dark Angels armies my friends have.

I hope you guys can accompany me in this journey and please post what you think of this short intro i just wrote :smile.: Edited by nusphigor

I have a question guys

How do you paint the green of the dark angels?
i tried with contrast but it ends up very very dark, maybe it's better to use the caliban green base paint?

what would you suggest?

I experimented with the contrast and found it wasn't up to scratch. I go with Gw's recipe mostly as it's pretty simple and can get a good amount of minis done in a moderate amount of time.

Target

Joy covered the faces of the thousands of people parading through the Comensuratum Avenue.
Music filled the air, voices of sympathy and laughs full of pleasure surrounded the caravan as the cardinal of steppenstone met his faithful flock in the streets.

"No more! No more will this glorious world be bound to the shackles of the Imperium Mortuus! The corpse edifice of humanity who oppresses us, its inhabitants! We will be surrounded by death and tyranny no more!"  Says the fat preacher through multiple vox repetiters distributed across the city, raising his arms in triumph to his words making the crowd go wild with ecstasy and heresy.

The parade continues through the ground, illuminating the damned city with multiple colours and noises resembling the banshees of the past. But in the shadows of the sky, atop the upper floors of the empty edifices surrounding the procession, figures moved behind dust filled windows.

"Squad Gamma-2 on point" says discreetly the shrouded figure as he looks at the tempest of images on the ground below.

The red lenses of his helmet searching for something or someone between the crowd, until he finally sees his quarry.

"Target found. Requesting approval" Says the leader of the squad as his brethren move to the openings in the wall, all raising their boltguns, aiming towards a squad of the cardinal's protector guard. Their leader, wearing a distinct sash of sable atop bone coloured armour.

"Squad Gamma-1 is on point to procure the targets, brother. Disable the security as planned" hears Brother-Sergeant Castiel though his vox comm. He points towards the guards and his squad opens fire.

The roar of bolter fire sounds from the sky, as the judgement of the Emperor of mankind rains down upon traitors to his immortal kingdom. Screams of joy turn into screams of anguish and confusion. Fear and doubt grip the hearts of the citizen as they run far from the heretic cardinal and his entourage, who explode bathing the cardinal in blood and gore.

Confused, the pontifex looks around seeking the leader of his guard, who is moving to cover behind the remnants of the parade vehicles. The mortal returns lasgun fire towards the heavens seeking retaliation for his deceased squad mates failling to see the how five angels of death drop to the ground, jumping from the edifice behind him.

One of the angels takes the weapon from the bone armoured human, breaking his hands in the process. Another advances towards the cardinal, as the other three take on defensive positions raising their boltguns to guard the place from possible attacks.

"THE EMPEROR OF MANKIND DOES NOT AGREE TO YOUR HERESIES, PONTIFEX" says the figure of retribution through speakers of iron.

The cardinal falls to the ground, terrorized. He tries to move away from the imponent astartes as he walks to him.

"HOWEVER, YOU ARE NOT THE ONE WE SEEK" says the post human as he points the canon of his boltgun to the head of the heretic. The loud explosion of the cardinal's head makes the armoured quiver in fear.

"I was only following orders! I swear!" says the mortal in the sable sash.

"OUR CHAPLAIN WILL DETERMINE THAT, MORTAL. YOU WILL ANSWER TO HIM. ONE WAY OR ANOTHER"

[basicheader=00401E][/basicheader]

Hello guys!
I wanted to share this short story, as i have been painting my Infiltrators squads these days.

G8Keeper

I experimented with the contrast and found it wasn't up to scratch. I go with Gw's recipe mostly as it's pretty simple and can get a good amount of minis done in a moderate amount of time.

Thank you brother.
In the end, I used a coat of the contrast green and then covered that with a quick layer of Caliban green. I found up that this speeds the process a lot instead of doing multiple coats of Caliban green (I usually prime in white my models), then did a quick drybrush of Caliban Green Mixed with Warpstone Glow, a recess shade of Nuln Oil and then edge highlighted with Warpstone Glow.
I tried doing a final edge highlight of Moot Green but found out that they looked far too Salamander-ish so i replaced that colour with Death Guard Green. I find that colour to be a nice hint towards bone and i think it suits better the whole look (even if its name is a bit heretic)

I'll try to take some pictures of Squad gamma-2 and brother Sergeant Castiel later on today as soon as the sun rises a bit.

Cheers!

Edited by nusphigor

I have a question guys

How do you paint the green of the dark angels?

i tried with contrast but it ends up very very dark, maybe it's better to use the caliban green base paint?

what would you suggest?

I have to say I cheat on that.

I undercoat my marines with angel green from army painter. then I add some linings.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice work, I really like the back story you are developing. I’ll admit that I fall into the anti-primaris camp, but I actually find your narrative about the DA primaris’ search to learn more about their chapter’s past quite compelling

Personally, one of the things I really like about the Horus heresy setting is the relative newness of the Astartes - one of the really driving themes (for me) is the way a bunch of barely human super soldiers have to grapple with their humanity and explore what it means to be post-human. By the time we get to 40k, those questions are relatively settled, but with what you’ve created there’s an opportunity to explore those ideas anew.

Primaris challenge everything we know and love about space marines (for better or worse), so what I really like about your fluff is how these new guys are having to try an identity within a chapter that’s unwelcoming of them, and that actively discourages questions about the past etc. as you say, there’s plenty of scope for conflict with the inner circle, but perhaps along the way this search for a mysterious object helps the old guard see something new in themselves as well

Anyway, looking forward to more!

• 5 months later...

Doubts

A deluge fell on the broken plains of Volantis. It would be a miracle if the rain of the arid planet wasn't made by an alien chemical that dissecates earth on contact.

Still it felt like normal rain, thought Brother-Lieutenant Nerael, except his lips felt dry when it reached them. How the chemical worked was as much a mystery to him as the reason why Brother-Chaplain Apharan gave him command of the Dark Angels forces in this planet.

"The Maledictum Objectum... Fancy name for an old box" pondered the Primaris Lieutenant as he strode with his squad through the flatlands towards the northern canyon.

"It may be an old box, brother, but the secrets of the chapter might be contained on it" voxed the Chaplain in a private channel.

"Still it feels wrong, brother-chaplain. To search for this instead of trusting the word of our brothers on command of the chapter. It feels like we are deviating from our purpose" answers the lieutenant of the 3rd company.

"Do not doubt our mission brother. We are following the will of The Lion and The Emperor by retrieving a venerated object lost to our chapter and preventing our enemies from using it against us" Said Apharan evasivelly.

Nerael took air to refute the half truth his brother said but a communication from Brother Sergeant Connah interruted him:
"Movement on our 8, Brother-Lieutenant. It seems fast"

"stay vigillant brother, keep the perimeter and stay on course" says the officer.

---

When the intercessor Squad and the Dark Angels officers reached the start of the rock formation, they dispersed with trained ease. The chaplain drew out an auspex and started to monitor the granite-like walls, searching for their prize.
Then thunder roared on the distance, resounding on the pass, making the trained primaris marines point their weapons against its epicenter.

Three enormous bikers in jet black power armour made their advance towards them as a comm-link opened on the Dark Angels helmets.

"this is Outrider Sergeant Bariel from the Ravenwing, brothers. Please lower your weapons"

The Lieutenant gave the order to his brothers to stand down but the Chaplain advanced a step in the same way when he confronts a challenge.

"what is the meaning of this, Sergeant? why you didn't inform us of your arrival on the planet?" says chaplain Apharan.

"we have a common purpose chaplain, but we and the veterans of your company who are surrounding you, are following the orders from high command" says the biker as Lieutenant Nerael and the intercessor squad turn around to see the figures of Veteran Squad Raphael aiming their Bolt Rifles at them from high on the rocks.

"Please stand down, brothers, and all will be answered soon enough. For now, we have orders to retrieve the relic ourselves." Says Veteran Sergeant Raphael and Lieutenant Nerael looks at his chaplain with doubt in his eyes.

[basicheader=00401E][/basicheader]

Hello guys!
i know i've said that i was going to merge my hobby projects in a common thread but i thought that my new dark angels army deserved a bit of a prime spot.

I have been working on the miniatures in the short story (except for Chaplain Apharan, but i have him ready to be painted), so i hope to finish them before this month ends.

Here are some wip pics of them if you want to see them but they are quite simple aside from the Lieutenant and the veterans, as i like to do decorations and such with freehands.

med_gallery_49745_16823_539399.jpg

Here is Lieutenant Nerael.
I used a ragnar figure i had around because i think he looks so dynamic.

med_gallery_49745_16823_343552.jpg

Veteran Squad Raphael with Auto Bolt Rifles.
I used the assault intercessors from the elite starter and some bolt weapons from the reivers kit.

med_gallery_49745_16823_364070.jpg

Intercessor squad Connah.
These are basic intercessors from the learning to paint sprues, but with a bit of conversions on the sergeant.

med_gallery_49745_16823_940233.jpg

Outrider Squad Bariel.
Just the standard bikes from the elites box, but i painted them in corvus black, no idea why the pic is so bright.

Everything is just basecoated except for the greens which i started doing soft highlights using a drybrush.

The idea is to use these (an the chaplain) as a starting base for my crusade army.
I was thinking of just using 1 infiltrator squad on the future but i don't know yet. The only reason i put 2 on the lore i wrote last year was because i have the models, but nothing else.

I hope you guys like them. I'm gonna try to paint a bit today and see if i can finish at least the Lieutenant.

Cheers ;)

Nice work, I really like the back story you are developing. I’ll admit that I fall into the anti-primaris camp, but I actually find your narrative about the DA primaris’ search to learn more about their chapter’s past quite compelling

Personally, one of the things I really like about the Horus heresy setting is the relative newness of the Astartes - one of the really driving themes (for me) is the way a bunch of barely human super soldiers have to grapple with their humanity and explore what it means to be post-human. By the time we get to 40k, those questions are relatively settled, but with what you’ve created there’s an opportunity to explore those ideas anew.

Primaris challenge everything we know and love about space marines (for better or worse), so what I really like about your fluff is how these new guys are having to try an identity within a chapter that’s unwelcoming of them, and that actively discourages questions about the past etc. as you say, there’s plenty of scope for conflict with the inner circle, but perhaps along the way this search for a mysterious object helps the old guard see something new in themselves as well

Anyway, looking forward to more!

Thanks mate.

i too have that issue but this is my way of giving the primaris (and the state of the current game) a go.

It does feel kinda weird all this new lore but i've always liked the secretive dark angels and when i started reading about the conflicts of the primaris in the chapter i had to dive in XD

• 8 months later...

Hey all.

I think i might leave this thread and army idea get lost in oblivion.

I took this decision because the things i dislike about the dark angels (terminators mostly) are just the kind of things this chapter is quite fond of, both in lore and in play, and after trying a couple of games this weekend i feel like i lose a lot of the chapter by running the force i had in mind.

Still, thanks for reading what i wrote and maybe we'll se each other in another project.

Cheers!

Edited by nusphigor