Iron Warriors 2000 points

FranK_Oz

Hi,

I started the hobby again after about 10 years of absence and figured out a list of my favorite legion (Iron Warriors). I would appreciate your comments, because I am kind of a newbie with the new rules like strategems, command points and so on. Let me know your thoughts. My playstyle ideas you can read below. Thanks in advance.

** Everything is Iron Warriors Legion and has the Mark of Slaanesh

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [65 PL, 8CP, 1,071pts] ++
+ HQ [10 PL, 146pts] +
Chaos Lord [5 PL, 74pts]: Bolt pistol, Chainsword
Dark Apostle [5 PL, 72pts]: Benediction of Darkness

+ Troops [9 PL, 120pts] +
Chaos Cultists [3 PL, 40pts]: 10x Autogun

+ Elites [20 PL, 288pts] +
Hellforged Contemptor Dreadnought [10 PL, 144pts]: 2x Butcher cannon [50pts], Havoc launcher [6pts]
Hellforged Contemptor Dreadnought [10 PL, 144pts]: 2x Butcher cannon [50pts], Havoc launcher [6pts]

+ Heavy Support [26 PL, 517pts] +
Havocs [7 PL, 150pts]: 4x Reaper chaincannon
Havocs [7 PL, 150pts]: 4x Missile launcher
Hellforged Scorpius [12 PL, 217pts]

++ Supreme Command Detachment +1CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [24 PL, 1CP, 415pts] ++
+ HQ [24 PL, 415pts] +
Chaos Lord with Jump Pack [6 PL, 95pts]: Warlord, Warlord Trait: Stoic Advance, Chainsword, Combi-bolter [2pts], Insidium,
Lord Discordant on Helstalker [9 PL, 160pts]: Autocannon
Lord Discordant on Helstalker [9 PL, 160pts]: Autocannon

++ Spearhead Detachment +1CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [32 PL, 1CP, 514pts] ++
+ HQ [5 PL, 88pts] +
Master of Possession [5 PL, 88pts]: Cursed Earth, Infernal Power

+ Heavy Support [27 PL, 426pts] +
Defiler [9 PL, 142pts]: Defiler scourge [12pts], Reaper autocannon [10pts]

++ Total: [121 PL, 10CP, 2,000pts] ++

For tactics:
The Battalion stays behind with Contemptors, Havocs and the Scorpius buffed by the Lord and Dark Apostle and guarded by the Cultists.
Spearhead and Supreme Command advances with Defilers buffed by the Lord ( Warlord Trait "Stoic Advance" removes penalty when moving with heavy weapons), the Disco Lords and MoP.

I played around a bit with the list and I have a variant with a DP instead of Jump Lord & MoP, but I think the above one is a bit better.

Iron within, Iron without
Edited by FranK_Oz

This list packs a hell of a lot of firepower which is awesome. I can't speak to it's staying power on the field with my little experience in games, but it looks solid.

The coming of 9th edition will change a lot of these points values and changes the CP system to give an equal number of CP to each player (set based on the game's points level) but if you and your group are planning to stick with 8 for a while, this looks like a brutal list - especially if you get first turn.

One word on the tactics - you may want to consider keeping a unit of cultists screening each of your Havocs. You can use the Iron Warriors Stratagem 'Cannon Fodder' to force enemy units to fire on the cultists while you keep your Havocs firing in the next turn.

Thanks for your response. In 9th edition I will look at the points and traits again and re-align my list. I hope the idea with Stoic Advance stays usable, because I like it and it seems fluffy and potent to me. But as I said, I am new to modern list building and hoping for some advice.

Btw ... the cannon fodder strategem is a really good hint to keep the fire base alive. Thanks again.

I would downgrade the chain cannon havocs to autocannons, use the points to bulk up the chaos lords more, JP on the foot one, maul (seigebreaker mace), fist on other etc. Forget moving and shoot havocs with 5 dudes, make a castle and camp them with Seigemaster, buffs them and vehicles, with JP, you can be where you need to for buffs. AC's will be gold instead of the chaincannon, with less primaris to face due to their points increases for 9th ed, AC's are solid gold for IW's especially. Invest now, #Stonks. 

Thanks for your response, this gives me a some more variants for my list. I see the point with Seige Master and it makes sense to buff my firebase more. On the other side I lose some potential on my defilers what makes them a little less distracting. I think it depends on the opponent which trait is working out better.

Changing the chain cannons with auto cannons is also a good idea, less points, more range. But on the downside ... less shots and less coolness.

Variations are numerous in my head, here is one with a DP & a Leviathan that stacks better with "Benediction of Darkness" than 2 Contemptors.

** again everthing Iron Warriors Legion and Mark of Slaanesh

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [49 PL, 8CP, 781pts] ++
+ HQ [10 PL, 152pts] +
Chaos Lord [5 PL, 80pts]: Combi-bolter [2pts], Power maul [4pts]
Dark Apostle [5 PL, 72pts]: Benediction of Darkness

+ Troops [9 PL, 120pts] +
Chaos Cultists [3 PL, 40pts]: 10x Autogun

+ Heavy Support [30 PL, 509pts] +
Havocs [7 PL, 110pts]: 4x Autocannon [40pts]
Havocs [7 PL, 110pts]: 4x Autocannon [40pts]
Hellforged Leviathan Dreadnought [16 PL, 289pts]: 2x Butcher cannon array [80pts]

++ Supreme Command Detachment +1CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [27 PL, 1CP, 488pts] ++
+ HQ [27 PL, 488pts] +
Daemon Prince with Wings [9 PL, 168pts]: Warlord, 6. Stoic Advance, Fleshmetal Exoskeleton, 2x Malefic talon, Warp bolter [3pts], Warptime
Lord Discordant on Helstalker [9 PL, 160pts]: Autocannon [10pts]
Lord Discordant on Helstalker [9 PL, 160pts]: Autocannon [10pts]

++ Spearhead Detachment +1CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [44 PL, 1CP, 731pts] ++
+ HQ [5 PL, 88pts] +
Master of Possession [5 PL, 88pts]: Cursed Earth, Infernal Power

+ Heavy Support [39 PL, 643pts] +
Defiler [9 PL, 142pts]: Defiler scourge [12pts]
Hellforged Scorpius [12 PL, 217pts]

++ Total: [120 PL, 10CP, 2,000pts] ++

//edit: All in all I want the Defilers to reach Close Combat, because they are devastating against big enemies. I guess I have enough other threats that will draw more attention than they do. Disco Lords and my Havocs will soak up the first volleys I assume. What would be your primary target in 1st round?
Edited by FranK_Oz

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...