skystalkers or sterylizers

Montoya

Has anyone seen any news on when we are getting our codex, someone on here on another thread said sometime around May but I haven't heard any other rumours.///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// <-- That was my Vindicator on my num pad :thumbsup:

Edited by Black_Knight

• 1 month later...

Just a follow up... I had a game Vs. sisters of Battle. I proxied a squad of Sterilyzors because I don't want to commit to a single build yet. They were fantastic against SoB and their T3 across the board. They were also good for grabbing objectives, even if short lived. Although both builds can do that. I don't actually have any experience playing the other build yet. Has anyone tried them?

Hey good Admech folks...

My Pteraxii arrived today! But I am noting a serious lack of interest in this squad for 9th and I wanted to ask one last time... is there a selling point for the other build? Anything you can think of that makes it worth holding off building these? 

Just based on the fact new stat lines are appearing in admech boxes makes me think our codex can't be THAT far off, though I guess it COULD just coincide with book of rust, but I didn't see any room for datasheets on the table of contents for that.  If its that close things could change.  Honestly I don't think the sterylizors are anything to write home about even right now, so I don't feel in a rush to decide for my 2 boxes at least.  4 slightly better flamers on deepstrike for 95 points isn't exactly enough to make me excited about them.  Their main targets are armies that are currently not very good, outside of sisters.  The skystalkers while also unappealing, at least have some merit too as they can be used as a target for wrath of mars, and their bombing run, giving them some use as mortal wounds platforms for cheaper so its something of a wash.  The talons to me are something of a non factor, as I don't find mediocre combat prowess really that much of a boon.  Ya its useful, but relying on a 9+" charge the turn they come in or expecting them to survive on the table doesn't have a high degree of likelihood.

Basically I find both versions to be very, meh with slight edge to sterylizors only because of the fact sisters are good.  If our codex is in the next 2-3 to come out, and you aren't planning a tournament where you think you have a real need for these, I would wait, because things could change to favor one or the other heavily.

Edited by GrinNfool

Mine are still in painting limbo. I've got the wings more or less done but I still have no idea where the flying stands are supposed to attatch to the models. I'm considering just buying bigger magnets and making my own connection.

I've picked the Sterylizor build so that I can torch ripper swarms or Termagants cheeky enough to camp objectives. No idea how successful they will be but my army needs mobility. If I manage to bite the bullet and get them painted, that is. :p

Both units are good for Engage and Scramblers secondaries.

Between the two though its much of a muchness. Sterylizors have 4 flamers and arent too bad in combat against REALLY light units. They have the strat to stop people falling back so thats something.

Skystalkers have a lot of S3 shots so are probably just as good against hordes as the 4 flamers with the weight of fire. They also have the ability to drop mortals which is something but not a huge selling point.

Personally I do not run either. The reason being Sulphurhounds are better than Sterylizors IMO (more shots, more wounds, faster and not that much more expensive).  And I was going to use some Skystalkers for Engage and Scramblers but 2 Troops squads of Vanguard/Rangers do the same thing and more reliably as theres two units for basically the same cost. Plus their troops for Detachment building and ObSec

I agree that the 'smart money' is on wait and see because GW can make a massive swing in power and ability with a datasheet adjustment.  I guess I'm just wanting to work on something for the army again since I finished my Priests (finally!)

Mine are still in painting limbo. I've got the wings more or less done but I still have no idea where the flying stands are supposed to attatch to the models. I'm considering just buying bigger magnets and making my own connection.

I despise those stands! I agree, but haven't looked that hard into it; the stands seem very awkward.

As I am putting these together I've had one flamer snap, and a pair of the thin cable attachments snap as well... from using snippers. I am quite careful but with this kit it's really easy to get hamfisted and take a trip to snap city. I just don't know why GW has gone to this recent mentality of making things so fiddly, delicate and super awkward to transport. (My Archeopters are always in danger of bending those long wing prongs/veins. It's a constant concern.)

Both units are good for Engage and Scramblers secondaries.

Between the two though its much of a muchness. Sterylizors have 4 flamers and arent too bad in combat against REALLY light units. They have the strat to stop people falling back so thats something.

Skystalkers have a lot of S3 shots so are probably just as good against hordes as the 4 flamers with the weight of fire. They also have the ability to drop mortals which is something but not a huge selling point.

Personally I do not run either. The reason being Sulphurhounds are better than Sterylizors IMO (more shots, more wounds, faster and not that much more expensive).  And I was going to use some Skystalkers for Engage and Scramblers but 2 Troops squads of Vanguard/Rangers do the same thing and more reliably as theres two units for basically the same cost. Plus their troops for Detachment building and ObSec

Looking at this from the 'secondary' perspective is a good idea. Actually now that you mention it wouldn't the Skystalkers be a better Scrambler unit?  What I mean by this is I have been playing a SoB player who uses his Seraphim to come in, shoot (in move phase) THEN deploy scramblers. It's a no brainer for him and I looked up all the rules pertaining to this and I could not find a reason he could not do this!

So with Skystalkers, I think quite often those S3 shots are a waste, and maybe the unit is really harassment and objective grabbing/stealing. So why not do a 'bombing run', then sit in the appropriate board zone and deploy scramblers? You still get to use the unit with some efficiency.

The more I think this out, the more I like it. I've been using the flamers with Wrath of Mars and it has been a life saver for my slowish admech. I mean really some times I have roasted (with WoM) some very hard targets that I otherwise can't get rid of. They Sterylizors often die, but you can't have everything.

The Skystalkers can be used in a smaller squad in my opinion. (I feel like Sterylizors NEED 8-10 models because the Alpha doesn't carry a flamer). The one additional thing I can think of is the strats: I do like the Sterylizor ability to force a very hard target, or shooty target, or even psychic monster to stay stuck in for a turn. That's some clever utility that is huge when you need it.

I'm now tipping towards 5 Skystalkers and just buy another box of Pteraxii for a 10 man Sterylizor squad.

The Scramblers plan is good play for my army which has tremendous scoring issues. Primary is -really- hard for admech in general vs. the new bullies on the block for 9th (Deathguard is a NIGHTMARE for me since the new dex and Custodes are impossible to shift in cover with shields with most of our units.)

Lastly, I'll add my consideration is that I play extremely balanced lists (much to my demise). I prefer participating in most phases of the game. I also like close combat, so I use multiple priest units, even the Transport and an Assassin.

Great thoughts though. Certainly making me rethink my plan. I don't use Kastelan dakka bots anymore (for months now) because I find them to be pretty boring and either super repressive to my opponent or laughable when they get hit by BA or DG. So this means my only real target for Wrath of Mars is Sterylizors.

Answering my own question here.... but I just had another look.... the fact is if the Datasheets don't change much I don't see any other realistic reason (aside from Scramblers cited above) to take the Skystalkers. 

I remembered the +1 attack on the charge, +1 strength, 1 AP talons the Sterylizors have. Plus the ability to hold something in CC THEN pistol/flame it in the ensuing shooting phase. Not too shabby. Sure both of these units might be a 'miss' for competitive play but if we are analyzing this in a fish bowl.... 

• 2 weeks later...

I had another game last night and used a mid sized squad of the Sterylizors and I believe current rules state either squad is dead if anyone sneezes at it.

That being said the Sterylizors have a much better one trick pony, do their damage, then get shot up by pee shooters. I am still building the models as they are so finicky.... looking forward to getting them done though.