'No Impediment to Progress' – The Gatebreakers

GB01c.jpg

+Queryinput: [Astarteschapter:valuequery] 333+

+Dataloom spooling+

+Cognomen: Gatebreakers+

+Statusvalue: Chapter Inperceptus. Primary records archived/absent. 

+Query: [Recquisition secondary records?] TRUE+

+Dataloom spooling+

+Secondary records ingress granted:

+Authvalue: Inquisitrix Barbari Kills.

[...]tenuous nature of their position has been further exacerbated by galactic drift, poor record-keeping and their roving behaviour. [REDACTED]uplies from within the Imperium became lost en-route, found no-one authorised to receive additional equi[CORRUPTED]teriel, or – latterly – emerged in an area of space where Andocrine no longer sits.

[CORRUPTED]fed a vicious cycle: low on supplies, the Chapter adapted to become more dependent on roving and raiding, and thus their few established suppl[CORRUPTED]dwindled. By the opening of [REDACTED], the Gatebreakers had become listed amongst the Chapters Inperceptus – a status of inability to be contacted. Suspected by the Adeptus Terra to be lost or destroyed, their heraldry and Chapter number were reserved, as occasional reports from Rogue Traders and the like brought legends, if not confirmation, of the Chapter's continued existence.[...]

+++

'Lost, then?'

A smirk.

'Not so. More... misplaced.'

A pause.

'You... are authorised?'

A further pause. An electoo. A nod.

'A whole Chapter?'

'Very much so, Archmagos. After all, we can't be sure if Chapter 333 still exists.'

+++

g.jpg

Edited by apologist

This is a blog to follow the Gatebreakers as they begin war in the 9th edition of 40k. I want to explore the interactions of the Astartes 'firstborn' marines with their new Primaris brethren, and document my attempt at making a characterful Chapter that both fits within the universe and expands it a little. I hope you'll follow along.

[i'll likely expand this post in future with a bit more detail, but wanted to get the blog up and running.]

Thank you for a very warm welcome – I hope the results live up to expectations!

I've been musing on making my own Chapter up for ages. I'm always banging on the importance of creativity and imagination in this hobby, and while I've done lots of 'deep dives' into the fuzzy edges of the lore of established Chapters and Legions (you can have a poke through some previous blogs in my signature, if you fancy), I came to the realisation that I don't actually have my own Chapter. This seemed a terrible shame, and the upcoming release of 9th edition seemed a perfect excuse.

Enter the Gatebreakers. I formally created them in May last year (you can see the article here, if you fancy a closer look), though the scheme and some vague ideas have been rattling around at the back of my head for years. 

So far, the only completed model is Member-Ordinary Eo Daur, what other Chapters would call a 'battle brother' or 'legionary'.

GB01d.jpg

He's an Astartes member of the Chapter, one of the scanty defenders of the arc-sector of the distant Rim where the Chapter makes its home. My intention is to spool out from the point where the Primaris intake arrive – transported there by Rogue Trader Taiwo, and accompanied by the ancient and maverick Inquisitrix Barbari Kills. While the broad strokes of the result isn't in question – the Primaris are integrated into the Chapter – the fun's in the details. We'll see how the Primaris Scipius the Unworthy deals with the Gatebreakers 'unusual' command structure, and how the Gnostic Tsenpo accommodates the rather more formal Primaris into his remit.

A bit part of the enthusiasm has been driven by the upcoming 'Crusade' method of playing GW have teased, along with the looser army restrctions. I'm really hoping that this allows me to build up the Gatebreakers while incorporating characters and squads of other forces to really build a narrative flow. 

Anyway, those are the aims, hope you'll enjoy following along. I'll leave you with a few shots of what's on the painting desk at the moment:

c.jpg

d.jpg

t.jpg

Good painting. The fluff is looking really interesting - The tale of Scipius the Unworthy especially. How he earned his name is something I look forward to reading! Also will be nice to see how you flesh out the command structure of the Chapter. :)

Good painting. The fluff is looking really interesting - The tale of Scipius the Unworthy especially. How he earned his name is something I look forward to reading! Also will be nice to see how you flesh out the command structure of the Chapter. :smile.:

Ta; I'm aiming towards unusual and flavoursome, so I hope that their character begins to unfold. Scipius is a character I'm quite pleased with, and I'm looking forward to telling his tale and making his model.

Awesome stuff mate, looking forward to where you take them.

Thoughts on a Primach?

Yes – that's something that I want to write more about, so I hope it'll become clear in time. Apologies for being so nebulous!

Really loving the Gatebreakers so far, their scheme is gorgeous and their lore is fascinating, I can't wait to see what else you put out Apologist.

Thanks very much – I hope you'll enjoy the short story below, which introduces the main characters and explains a little about what they're doing in the region.

So nice

Ta!

Here's a short story that's intended to set the scene. I've got grand hopes of bringing some of these dramatis personae to life, so I'd love to hear if you find any characters particularly worthy of being prioritised.

+++

+ Barbari Kills on the Bridge of the Ẹtì Alubarika +

c.jpg

The Ẹtì Alubarika wallowed, the void-engines sputtering to a halt as the materium drives took up the slack. The choirmaster retrieved his wand from the podium and began directing the Liturgy of Gracious Thanks.

From her standpoint near a navigation-organ, Kills stretched lazily. The headache that warp travel inevitably brought upon her was already ebbing away, and she smiled with relief. She glanced around, her vision blocked by the two hulking marines that flanked her. Their gleaming power armour was swathed in fabric tabards, picked out with core Imperial decoration. They were in all ways identical, their armour clean and unmarred, polished to perfection. Seeing her move, Septival nodded politely. He stepped backwards to let the Inquisitor see past him. 

The bridge of the Ẹtì Alubarika was dressed stone. Turquoise-studded granite columns soared in a great gallery, and desks of void-whale baleen were piled high with scroll cases, records and dataslates. There were few vid-screens or electronics visible; the crew interacting with the craft through embedded haptics and keyboards more akin to musical instrumentation than the ascetically practical models cradled by the hooded tech-adepts. It was, Kills had noted when she had been invited aboard, quite something. The crew were also singular: smart, clean-limbed and beautiful figures from a dozen different worlds. Taiwo was proud of his bridge crew, whom he demanded to be exemplars of humanity. After all, as he had proudly declared to the Inquisitor: 'These may be the first men and women a species will see. I will have them see us for what we are: Perfect.'

As far as anything was typical for the rogue trader, Taiwo was every inch the commander. He sat, almost lost within the opulence of his command throne, looking out across the bridge. His glittering augmetic eyes drank in every detail, and Kills could see his gaze piercing the stars even as his advisors muttered and proferred reports. Taiwo and Kills had reached an uneasy rapprochement. He was an inveterate explorer, keen to push the boundaries – both literally and metaphorically. The idea of ferrying a proto-Chapter of Primaris Space Marines to an ancient backwater on the very rim of the galaxy had not caught his imagination, until Kills had intimated the lack of Imperial authority over the area. As far as the Ordo could determine, celestial drift had left this region of space unmonitored and unexplored for millennia – possibly since the establishment of the Imperium itself. 

He had agreed – though he remained a Rogue Trader. His demands were large, but payable: exclusive rights to the frontier, colonisation fiefdom guarantees on all inhabitable worlds... and the tip of Kills' little finger. As Taiwo's rich voice rolled around the bridge; directing his staff, the Inquisitor flexed her new augmetic at the memory. The loss of a fingertip was, in the end, a small price to pay – after all, her fingerprints and generunes were banked and warded by the Ordo Propter –  and the Expedition's augmetists were second-to-none. The skinsleeve replacement was indistinguishable from her birth flesh. 

+++

Inquisitrix Barbari Kills had little of the sentimentalist about her. She had taken the opportunity to have a digitial microlaser and elegant vox-thief fitted. If little else sat well with the proto-Chapter she accompanied, that lack of sentimentality was at least in tune. Chapter 333 were new-forged. They had taken their oaths, and were as prepared as Space Marines could be – but what little fighting they had seen was desultory. Kills suspected that accounted for a large part of their obsessive training and fastidiousness. 

She had had the dubious pleasure of serving alongside Astartes before, and had the peculiar feeling that the Primaris soldiers of Chapter 333 were trying a little too hard to impress her. Their armour gleamed. Their steps were perfectly synchronous. A sense of order radiated from them. That easy, knowing smile came to the Inquisitor's face again. It was sweet, in a way. 

Scipius, the Chapter's Interim Master, had assigned Septival and Coriolanus as bodymen to her, and they had – despite her efforts – remained politely but stubbornly glued to her as she wandered the halls of the Ẹtì Alubarika and its accompanying fleet. The presence of the two hulking warriors had prevented her from making any personal progress with in-fleet investigations, and so she had, with resignation, delegated her more shadowy work to her acolytes.

She thought of Master Scipius as she strolled, hands clasped proprietorially behind her back, towards the viewing platforms, where she could – at last – look outside the ship again. Coriolanus and Septival followed a studiedly short distance behind. Barbari Kills was an experienced star-sailor, hardbitten investigative member of the Inquisition, and – when called to be – a ruthless killer. Nevertheless, she had never lost the thrill of wonderment at the galaxy. It was at the heart of her; and seeing stars and planets never failed to stir a sense of the divine in her. It almost made up for the damn headaches, she thought.

Ratings and crew members parted before the trio as Kills advanced towards the main Observatorio, hidden as yet behind a curve. Before reaching the cyclopean window itself, she paused, and looked back. Past the colossal green-and-yellow Space Marines, beneath the decorated black granite, she could see humanity. Bustling, busy, engaged in tasks – as complex as clockwork, as heaving as an anthill. Closing her eyes in anticipation, she turned back, preparing herself for the glittering beauty of the stars; the soaring columns of nebulae, the painted beauty of illuminated stardust...

When she opened them again, her breath caught in her throat. She felt the overwhelming need to grasp something; anything. Her hand briefly snaked out towards Septival, but she snatched it back, angry with herself. A rolling, tumultous sense of vertigo claimed her, as though she – and the rest of the bridge; the ship; the species – were teetering on the brink of an infinite precipice. 

For before her eyes, from edge to edge of the colossal Observatorio, was what lay beyond the rim of the galaxy. An occasional miniscule pip of light; a faint dusting of gas – and then, between the galaxy of Man, and its impossibly distant neighbours, nothing. Nothing for ever. A blank, black insanity of absence.

She turned away, disappointed and disquieted – though her rigid self-discipline revealed nothing. She looked instead to Coriolanus and Septival, studying the identical helms as they regarded her impassively in turn. Would their sense of order survive here? she wondered. Could anyone's

+++

+ On more practical matters +
Painting has also progressed, and I couldn't help taking the opportunity to dry fit the arms and bits to assemble the marines. I'm really pleased with how they're coming along, and it's got me fired up to get them polished up as soon as I can.

c.jpg
Edited by apologist

ai.jpg

"'Our Presence Remakes the Past!'" The cry thundered from a crowd of enhanced throats, deep and reverberant. In the hall serving as Chapter 333's gathering place, the echoes died out quickly.

It was borrowed, of course. One of the famed Ultramarines' many battle cries, redolent with ten thousand years of history – history that Chapter 333 sorely lacked. Inquisitor Kills had enquired after its provenance during an awkward repast at the Captain's table, which Master Scipius had attended. He had picked politely at the food, and demurred Taiwo's offer of any wine beyond that used for the toasts.

The question had been answered as the Primaris marine answered all her questions – promptly, directly, and with no expansion. It had felt like an interrogation. Kills – and she suspected the other diners too – had been relieved when the warrior had bowed out of the ceremonial meal, thanking his Rogue Trader host with a curt salute.

The marines were too large, too intense, too real for anything like a relaxed atmosphere. Every mouthful of food or drink had been overshadowed by the sheer presence of the warrior. It had been like dining alongside a Cthellan cudbear – scrupulously trained, perhaps, but something in humanity's hindbrain sat uneasily alongside superpredators.

Barbari Kills brought her attention back to the hall. The Chaplain – what was his name? – was deep into the litanies. Smartly turned-out serfs in yellow and green-piped tabards tracked back and forth along the assembled ranks of the Chapter, anointing each warrior with dabs of unguent, or murmuring catechism.

She and her acolytes, Brunski and Halm, had a position of honour, looking out over the Chapter from the side. That their podium was constructed of stacked shipping crates rather took away the glamour, but needs must. Chapter 333's own fleet, such as it was, offered no craft large enough to gather the Chapter, and so Scipius had arranged with Taiwo to utilise one of the Rogue Trader's vessels for such assemblies. Standing at ease, but crisply, the Inquisitor let her eye wander over the Chapter. There was variance – of course there was – but very little. Every figure was decked out in the same armour – row after row of the same smooth helms, the same black, heavy guns. It was a far cry from her time with the Stellar Steeds, whose laughing company seemed to revel in individualism; their plate mixed and endlessly varied.

Halm half-coughed, and Kills looked at her quizzically. Sotto voce, the acolyte murmured a word of encouragement as she handed over the scroll. It was time for the Inquisitor to address the Space Marines. Kills rather enjoyed pomp and ceremony, usually. It offered a refreshing change from the cloak-and-daggers politicking of her usual task – or at least a surface contrast, she mused.

It was a short and to-the-point speech. Halm had suggested it be so – and she had had considerably more opportunity to ingratiate herself with the Chapter serfs than the Inquisitor herself. No room for poetry here, the Inquisitor thought to herself, as she began her oration.

"You stand ready to take your place as castellans of the Emperor's domain. This outpost is distant from his light, and all the more vulnerable for it. Here at the edge of the galaxy, you will serve. Each of you is a lantern; a magnifying mirror to that light. You will bring the Emperor's hand to these benighted worlds, extended in friendship to those that seek his protection, and closed in a fist to those who would despoil or seek to desecrate his worlds. You will, perhaps, be alone in these duties." She paused, weighing the next words carefully. The assembled crowd stood, dutifully, impassively; still as statues. Licking her lip, unaccountably dry, she continued, "And perhaps you will not. We are at anchor around a planet tentatively identified as the lost world of Quercus Brant; a short translation from the rumoured location of system Androcrine. Once Quercus Brant is brought back within the fold, we will move on to Andocrine. There we will discover the fate of your forebears; there we will find answers."

Another pause. Not a single marine moved. Kills was no psychic, but a prickle down her spine told her that this was an entirely different order of silence. They had been attentive before, but the mention of the Chapter's gene-kin – and the possibility of finding their own history – had charged the atmosphere.

"I recognise that this is a strange form of homecoming. A return to a hold in which you have never set foot; and which must seem nebulous. You must be prepared to find ruins. You must be prepared to reclaim and refortify the fortress-monastery; to take arms against the strange and novel xenoforms of the region. You must guard against false hope, for such is the first step on the road to disappointment. And yet." A third pause, "And yet, I wish you well – both in your campaign upon Quercus Brant, and in our shared travails to Androcrine. Whether we find your kin or not, you have duties to perform. An Imperium to extend. An Emperor to serve. You have a history of your own to write."

The close of the speech was met with a final silence. And then, another great roar:
'Our Presence Remakes the Past!'

+++

Looks fantastic brother! Having worked on Gate Breakers of my own, I can attest to the fact that the scheme is a joy to paint!
Looking forward to following this one!

You should pop him up here – be great to show off some other hobbyist's examples :smile.:

An interesting read. That’s no small amount of progress in your latest picture.
Keep up the good work.
Dallo

Ta very much; glad you like the story. I've been pressing ahead on this project, trying to do a little every day to keep progress ticking along.

Very nicely done

Very kind, thanks. More to come!

Wooo!!! Great work. I love seeing Primaris stuff done right. Will be following this one :smile.:

Cheers KBA – glad to have you along for the ride. :smile.:

+++

+ Progress +
The varnish is dry on the first sets of arms, so I finally have sufficient bits to assemble a Primaris member of the Gatebreakers. He is a little further down the line timewise from the story above, but still in 'proper' Tacticus armour. He needs highlighting, basing and still needs details like the gun and chapter badge to be painted, but I'm really pleased with how they're looking. It's not at all clear here, but the chest eagle is painted silver with a purple wash.

b.jpg

Painting in sub-assemblies has been a fun experiment, and helped to make this batch painting a bit of a novelty. I am glad, however, that I restricted myself to a fairly reasonable number of figures – more than fifteen would have been very complicated!

c.jpg

I'm pleased to report that the oils seem to be behaving themselves. Experimentation always has the potential to go seriously wrong, but – touch wood – it's holding together well so far. The depth of tone oils allowed me to create, together with the speed at which it could be done, has me firmly on board. I'm looking forward to experimenting further with this technique. 

d.jpg

Bloodthirsty headhunting, or sanctified relics? We'll find out soon enough, if Barbari Kills can find where Andocrine is...

e.jpg

Eight pairs of arms – and the accompanying shoulderpads are next up. After that, it's pouches, grenades and similar bells and whistles. You'll spot a couple of beakie helms, too. Not quite sure how they fit with the Marks of armour, but who cares? Beakies are cool.

f.jpg

...And to finish, a couple of shots of the whole gang. Apologies if these are getting tiresome, but I find it helpful to watch them gradually get more and more developed. 

g.jpg

h.jpg
Edited by apologist

Damn Apologist, they're coming along great! How does the new painting method compare to building the whole model?

Thanks NFR. I've found using sub-assemblies has pros and cons. It's got a lovely immediacy to it, and being able to work up a set of heads or bodies in a short amount of time is rewarding. You can also work on bits as the enthusiasm takes you: if you're feeling inspired, work on some heraldry. If you're not in the mood to think, you can do some rote layering or washes.

One downside is that it's much harder to visualise where the light's coming from, so it's tricky to get the shading and highlights in place in separate bits – that's why I'm doing the highlighting once the figure is assembled. The second downside is that while it's fun to do all the heads (which I particularly enjoy doing) in one fell swoop, it's easy to leave the bits you're less enthused about (pouches, weapons) until they become a chore.

Wish I could like it more than once!

Ha-ha, cheers. 

The newest models are well-painted and weathered. Your skills have noticeably improved.

Very kind of you to say. It's nice to play around with techniques, and the use of oils and sub-assemblies has saved a great deal of time – an increasingly rare luxury for me!

+ An alloy of old and new +
e.jpg

Scipius found Oto Yeng's manner infuriating; but then, he had found almost everything about the Gatebreakers he'd met thus far frustrating. Aside from anything else, he couldn't quite grasp why the apothecary – the Claviger-Gentle, he chided himself – had been assigned to guide him. The two strode down the wide boulevard towards the butkade, Scipius' steps crisp, placed and formal; Yeng's stride much looser, almost louche. 

"With all due respect, Claviger-Gentle," the exotic title came awkwardly to his tongue, but he could not bring himself to call Yeng 'brother'; not yet. "I would be forewarned, if we are to meet the Chapter Master."

Yeng continued his easy-paced stroll, favouring his left leg. It was not quite a limp, and raised still more questions for Scipius. The Gatebreaker nodded, glanced at the other marine, then turned back. Scipius thought he caught a gnomic smile before Yeng replied.

"Have I yet told you, traveller, of the Sage Huro? It was he who wrote that 'water will flow only once a path in rock is worn.'"

Scipius' patience had run thin. At every turn, he had been sidelined; his shuttle greeted not by an honour guard, but by a gaggle of Chapter serfs; and his questions rebuffed, brushed aside with platitudes or politely ignored. The 'fortress monastery' seemed anything but; appearing to be little more than a tumbledown ruin, populated solely by bland-faced serfs. When finally an Astartes had appeared, Oto Yeng had turned out to be more concerned with aphorisms than facts; and still less concerned with the passage of time. He had not even asked Scipius his name or rank. The two had walked, apparently aimlessly, for close to an hour across the winding straight-cornered paths of the monastery. 

Scipius came to a halt, his feet scuffing up the yellow dust that covered the open-air path. Yeng stopped a pace ahead, and half-turned back, his face blandly quizzical. The two soldiers regarded one another; Yeng with seeming disinterest, and Scipius will ill-concealed impatience. Both wore identical quartered green-and-yellow livery, but at that the similarities ended. The Primaris was perhaps a hand's width taller, though much of that was down to his upright posture, and the older Astartes' rolling gait. The Master of Chapter 333 wore gleaming Tacitus plate overlaid with heavy robes in the Imperial style. Scipius' trained eye took in Yeng's plate – a much-patched example of an Armourum Ferrum variant that the Primaris marine did not fully recognise.

"I do not know this Huro. I do not wish to know this Huro. I have brought a host of battle brothers to repopulate what I now find to be an occupied Chapter Fortress. It is a joy indeed to find that our forebears – that you – have survived, but there is much to discuss: to plan. I insist you take me to see the Chapter Master; and immediately."

Yeng pursed his lips and looked down, his hands clasped behind his back. He eased his shoulders, the much-patched armour creaking, before running a hand through his scrubby grizzled hair.

"Grant me this indulgence, traveller. You will forgive my rudeness in relating one story more." Scipius raised an impatient eyebrow as the apothecary went on. "When asked how best to seize his father's throne, the sage Huro told his Prince: 'Travelling is best when it is a return to familiarity.' The Prince, of course, understood at once."

Scipius was straightforward, but he was not stupid. All these riddles. Of course. It had been a test. He had not been snubbed. He dropped to one knee.

"I understand now. My apologies." Yeng's eyes widened briefly at the Primaris marine's action, before the apothecary's smiled broadened still further. "You are the Chapter Master. I am unworthy..."

"Alas, no," Yeng interrupted, still grinning. "That honour is not mine. I see now your eagerness. I will take you to Master." The Gentle turned, unceremoniously, and waved a hand vaguely behind him. "Come then, Unworthy." 

Scipius rose, face flushed, indignation warring with embarrassment. Following the Astartes closely along the short corridor, he laid a hand on the other's shoulder plate. Yeng turned to him, his expression once more innocently quizzical.

"That is not–". Scipius' objection was cut off by the peal of a great gong. 

The sound reverberated richly along the corridor, and Yeng's face creased into a grin. 
"Strange what we get to decide for ourselves, isn't it?" Without waiting for an answer, he paused, glancing towards the large round portal of the moon door. He gestured towards the opening. "Ah, but that will wait for another time, I think. Now is right for you to meet your Master." 

+++

Man, minis and this fluff & background has been a hell of a treat! I’m digging all this energy and creativity you are pouring into these lads!

Thanks, hushrong. Glad to hear you're enjoying it; hope you're enjoying finding out about life on the Rim.

Really cool stuff! How are you overcoming the little sprue nub left behind after painting on sprue? 

I do a careful clean-up for mouldlines at the start, so the nub's the only bit that causes any problem. I tackle this by adding a spot of brown to the green or yellow base colour, as appropriate, then painting it in. It blends in very easily.

This is quite something, all the way from top to bottom, but the name “inquisatrix Barbari Kills” stands out even above all that.
Damn fine work, looking forward to where this goes.

Cheers! I'm still mulling over ideas of how to present Kills herself – not quite sure whether she'll be quite traditionalist or more of an adventuring Inquisitor, but I've got a few ideas.

+++

+ Building and painting +
The Primaris Gatebreakers are coming along nicely. With the chest eagles and metallics painted, I assembled the figures. The army itself is going to represent the Chapter a little further along than in the stories above – my aim is that the stories will eventually catch up, and then events during games will provide the ongoing narrative.

b.jpg

To this end, then, the Primaris newcomers aren't quite as uniform and clean-cut as they had been. The same supply issues that have dogged the Chapter since time immemorial continue to be in force during the dark Millennium, though the incoming Chapter 333 – that is, the newcomers – did at least come with a big stockpile of shiny new toys.

You'll spot quite a variety of bolt weapons above. The marines will mostly have auto-boltrifles, though the precise pattern of that will vary. You'll spot that some are conversions of the Infiltrators' and Reivers' different styles of bolt carbines. I'm unlikely to field either of those units unconverted (I don't like the lack of greaves), but I do like the shorter, more familiar snub noses of their boltguns.

f.jpg

Not quite finished, but well on the way now. I'm pleased (and relieved!) that the Primaris mix in quite nicely with the older armour styles. 

a.jpg

Excellent work as always, and Scipius kneeling got a real laugh out of me.

As for posting my Gate Breakers, do have a preference on format? I have a decent amount of the lads now.