'No Impediment to Progress' – The Gatebreakers

Regarding the dreadnought, Apologist, maybe you could treat it a bit like a moving shrine? From what I've read the Gatebreakers do not look like the typical over-the-top gothic warrior monks, but a dreadnought is, in a way, a tomb for a fallen warrior, with the exception that said warrior can still melt your face or tear you in half with its casket. I could see the more spiritually inclined marines treating it as a shrine to honour the interred brother, but also as the epitome of "Only in death does duty end". Obviously, it should not be overburdened as to affect the dreadnought capabilities, but things like small trinkets dangling from chains, small parchments and maybe the remains of a melted candle that was put on the dread while the occupant was in stasis as to please the machine spirit.

One thing that I seem to recall is that in some cases, the dreadnought itself may have a name that overtakes that of the interred marine, or at least a battle name. That might make for an interesting aspect to play with, mixing the heraldry and honourifics of the chassis itself with those of the current occupant, or even a collection from the different marines interred throughout the centuries of service.

Edited by Elzender

That got me thinking about the difference between the the ironform and the sarcophagus. The sarcophagus contains the revered fallen, but the ironform is the vehicle. So maybe take the idea of a shrine and apply it to the sarcophagus while having the ironform have more of the "use what we can, much repaired" look of the other Gatebreaker armours?

Fun battle report to read! I think the dreadnought could be a mix of the two, maybe even seen as an avatar of the spiritual beliefs that they have, which is how I see White Scars dreadnoughts. The identity of the marine isn't forgotten in the way the dreadnought is perceived but is subordinate to the idea that the dreadnought is a walking avatar of both death and self sacrifice, restricting the marine from having death's freedom but also showing the honour of the warrior within.

I'd imagine that the dreadnought should be treated as a marine. It's classified as a vehicle, sure, but the space marine inside would likely still see himself as such. Assuming the Gatebreakers pay highest respect to their venerables like most other chapters do, I'd imagine the few techmarines they can muster would likely focus on retaining his warrior's honor. It'd also be interesting to see what you envision a highly decorated member of the Gatebreakers to look like, something you haven't shown off as far as I recall.

Failing that, maybe it helps to conceptualise how you'd customise the dread coming from both approaches and deciding based on that? I think 'Style over Substance' is a viable approach for the model, and you can always write appropriate lore based on what you go with.

Regarding the dreadnought, Apologist, maybe you could treat it a bit like a moving shrine? [...]I could see the more spiritually inclined marines treating it as a shrine to honour the interred brother, but also as the epitome of "Only in death does duty end". Obviously, it should not be overburdened as to affect the dreadnought capabilities, but things like small trinkets dangling from chains, small parchments and maybe the remains of a melted candle that was put on the dread while the occupant was in stasis as to please the machine spirit.

One thing that I seem to recall is that in some cases, the dreadnought itself may have a name that overtakes that of the interred marine, or at least a battle name. That might make for an interesting aspect to play with, mixing the heraldry and honourifics of the chassis itself with those of the current occupant, or even a collection from the different marines interred throughout the centuries of service.

I like that idea – might have a look into some different shrines from around the world; perhaps I'll find some inspiration there. 

That got me thinking about the difference between the the ironform and the sarcophagus. The sarcophagus contains the revered fallen, but the ironform is the vehicle. So maybe take the idea of a shrine and apply it to the sarcophagus while having the ironform have more of the "use what we can, much repaired" look of the other Gatebreaker armours?

That'd be a great idea. Unfortunately the style of dreadnought I'm using doesn't have a visible sarcophagus. I'll have a think, but thanks for the input.

Fun battle report to read! I think the dreadnought could be a mix of the two, maybe even seen as an avatar of the spiritual beliefs that they have, which is how I see White Scars dreadnoughts. The identity of the marine isn't forgotten in the way the dreadnought is perceived but is subordinate to the idea that the dreadnought is a walking avatar of both death and self sacrifice, restricting the marine from having death's freedom but also showing the honour of the warrior within.

Lots of fantastic ideas here. I think it's going to require a deep dive into how the Gatebreakers see their honoured fallen.

b.jpg

I had fun building Monstrance, the holiest of the Chapter's relic Claviger honour-maces; during a bit of cultural exploration!

I'd imagine that the dreadnought should be treated as a marine. It's classified as a vehicle, sure, but the space marine inside would likely still see himself as such. Assuming the Gatebreakers pay highest respect to their venerables like most other chapters do, I'd imagine the few techmarines they can muster would likely focus on retaining his warrior's honor. It'd also be interesting to see what you envision a highly decorated member of the Gatebreakers to look like, something you haven't shown off as far as I recall.

Failing that, maybe it helps to conceptualise how you'd customise the dread coming from both approaches and deciding based on that? I think 'Style over Substance' is a viable approach for the model, and you can always write appropriate lore based on what you go with.

Yeah, I haven't really done highly-decorated yet; but that's something I'm looking forward to. 

Speaking of decoration, I've been cracking on with building some additional bodies, ready for Indomitus to arrive. I'm looking forward to using the Assault Intercessor bits, adding their arms to these, and using the spare bodies to add some variety to the boltgun squads.

c.jpg

Edited by apologist

Liking the Mk3 torso and the various little totems you've added to a few of these bodies. Makes for some nice variation in the Intercessors, who are (along with most Primaris stuff) fairly hard to take out of the stock poses.

Wind, endless wind. As though some cyclopean being had been petrified in the throes of a final, everlasting exhalation, the wind coursed urgently across the dead surface of the world.

The tortuous spires of black rock did nothing to impede the howling progress of the wind, nor the abrasive sand that it carried along with it.

There were no local people to raise legends of the Samaritan; not any more. The world was lifeless; the Imperial tithesmen aboard the Rogue Trader's fleet reckoning it extincta summa summaram. As the human vessels turned away, the tithesmen granted the bleak, empty sphere the dubious honour of changing it from a mere dead world to an official Imperial Dead World; tithe grade: Aptus Non.

Even as the eyes of the Ẹtì Alubarika, flagship of Taiwo's fleet, turned away, something moved against the wind. A single lithium-pink eye turned in a socket.

Not all life, it appears, is alive.

q.jpg

Liking the Mk3 torso and the various little totems you've added to a few of these bodies. Makes for some nice variation in the Intercessors, who are (along with most Primaris stuff) fairly hard to take out of the stock poses.

Thanks; and yes, the approach GW have taken for the new space marines makes conversion a little more complex than previous kits, so when the goal is speed and bulk, I find achieving variation through details a good approach.

With that said, I think the amount of variation in pose is gradually becoming less obvious. While there are only five stock leg and torso poses in the Intercessor kits, they're different to those in the Dark Imperium and Indomitus equivalents, and to the easy-to-build kits. Even assuming you're doing no conversion whatsoever besides kitbashing, that's around eighteen-to-twenty unique poses. 

Beyond that, there's also the multipart and easy-build Hellblasters (another ten poses, with some variation in additional hip plate armour) and various Lieutenants. Beyond heads and weapons, there's no great difference or detail that distinguishes these from other Tacticus suits, so they're another source.

Nice Cryptek. Is it fair to assume he’ll be getting some reenforcements in the near future?

I'm happy to say that I've got Indomitus en route, so once it translates safely through the warp, he'll be joined by a nice little opposing force. They're a good example of a force I'd pop in my Nova Terra Interregnum-themed thread, The Alien Wars, but of course they're not quite fitting there, owing to the Necrons not yet appearing.

Sure, I could do some wibbly-wobbly time high jinks to elbow them in there, but they're much better suited to the M42 period in which this thread is set. I don't intend that they'll take over from the Gatebreakers, but the chance to explore the cosmic horror of the abyss theme is well-suited to the Necrons, so doubtless they'll pop up here and there.

With that said, part of the reason for both this and The Alien Wars is to highlight the more anonymous, smaller species that fight humanity. Using the big baddies – eldar, necrons, orks etc. – detracts a bit from that, and makes it feel almost familiar. I want the Endworlds to be creepy and weird!

Great stuff. Will be nice to see how you portray Necrons. Are you going for the older Necron approach or the new approach? 

By the way, any plans for converting Bladeguard?

Edited by BadgersinHills

I can't stop marveling at both your fluff and models AND the sheer amount of work you have put into this and how fast it seems to be progressing. It's really good fun to see these chaps getting models here and a bit of a more inside view at Brother Yeng over at the Deathwatch RPG Forum. Stellar Work!

Looking at this and your thoughts on army/ project progression, I have to realize that my modeling work clearly lacks some focus and unifying theme the way you established with the Alien Wars or now this very naughty edge of space you call the Endworlds.

I'll really have to take that to heart.

Great stuff. Will be nice to see how you portray Necrons. Are you going for the older Necron approach or the new approach? 

By the way, any plans for converting Bladeguard?

Likely stemming from memories of a 2nd edition game (where my poor Leman Russ got munched by Scarabs!), I've been a bit hostile towards Necrons in the past, so I haven't really taken more than a vague interest in their background. The way I'm planning to portray them here is very much as an immensely powerful presence, rather than a direct threat – that is, the Gatebreakers present a very minor threat – if they register at all – to the monolithic, Cyclopean presence of the Necrontyr in the region.

The main thing I like of the Necron background is of the species as mysterious alien outsiders, so I don't want to delve too much into their heads directly. They'll therefore mainly be presented through encounters with the other characters. That said, I'd like them to have motivations (as long as they're suitably alien), so I'm not a fan of them being slaves of the C'tan; I like the modern iteration of the C'tan being weaponised shards.

As to Bladeguard, I'm not quite sure. The Ancient is likely going to be used as the basis for Scipius the Unworthy. The Bladeguard themselves will probably get arm swaps. I don't think swords and shields quite fit the strike-and-fade concept of the Gatebreakers, so I'm not sure they'll be included. I'll see whether I like the models once they're in-hand; and whether they'd fit better with one of my other projects – perhaps the Word Bearers?

If I do include them in the Gatebreakers, I've toyed with the idea of using big double-handed scimitars, and representing the shields some other way. Alternatively, running with the boarding action visuals, swapping out the swords for maces and mauls; and the shields for more brutal, utilitarian ones. In fact, the more I think of the latter, then more it interests me. Thanks for provoking the thought! :biggrin.:

I can't stop marveling at both your fluff and models AND the sheer amount of work you have put into this and how fast it seems to be progressing. It's really good fun to see these chaps getting models here and a bit of a more inside view at Brother Yeng over at the Deathwatch RPG Forum. Stellar Work!

Looking at this and your thoughts on army/ project progression, I have to realize that my modeling work clearly lacks some focus and unifying theme the way you established with the Alien Wars or now this very naughty edge of space you call the Endworlds.

I'll really have to take that to heart.

Great to see you here! :smile.: I'm looking forward to finally putting together a model of Oto Yeng, so I'd best be careful not to get him killed on the hive ship, eh? 

Regarding army/project progression, that's very kind of you to say. If you'd like to join in with The Alien Wars, you'd be more than welcome.

I like where this is going!

Thank you – and onwards we go...

a.jpg

No huge progress, but a little bit every night soon adds up.

I also polished off Designation Samaritan:

c.jpg

The staff was painted black, then painted with a mix of black and Russ Grey (the modern iteration of Space Wolf Grey, my go-to cold highlight). I then added white to the mix for highlights, not working quite up to pure white. The reason for this subtlety is that I was really concerned about drawing attention away from the Necron itself, and metallic schemes are by their nature quite neutral. Some warm gold details and a purple gem (again painted in a deeper, less eye-catching hue to the Necron's eye) finished it off.

I'm undecided on whether to develop the basing a bit. Having it bare reinforces the dead world feel of the Necrons, but also looks a bit unfinished. I might try dead grasses and similar to add some texture – or perhaps switch gears and go for full-on swamp. Pools of goo, greenery and perhaps bits on the models themselves might be a cool image.

Regarding Indomitus, the bits of the Necrons I'm most excited to paint are:
  • Necron Warriors  Basic troops are my jam, and I've long held a secret soft spot for the Necron warriors. I held off the older ones due to their posing, the green rods and their complete uniformity; three issues neatly resolved with the new generation. 
  • Overlord and Royal Warden  Likewise, the 'normal' Necron commanders have the same appeal of the troops, along with being an opportunity for a little more experimentation and variation.
  • Scarab Swarms  These promise to be quick, easy and rewarding, and a satisfying way to practise the stippling.
Let's see if I'm right, eh? In concert with the Cryptek here, that'll give me a force of around 25 Power; just right to have a small test game with my orks, or the Gatebreakers.

With that core of the Necrons done, I'll turn to the Gatebreakers and get them Battleforged-ready, by building and painting a Lieutenant, Assault Interecessors and a second HQ – likely a Chaplain.
Edited by apologist

I am looking forward to seeing the modeling of Brother Yeng!

And I know exactly how you feel - I can't wait to get my hands on that new Techmarine... and dread what will happen to Sabaan as I glacially try to convert it to his likeness! :p

I am also both deeply honoured.. and honestly a bit scared ... at your offer to join your little sandbox!

While I am quite literally oathed to finish my stuff for the Lockdown and Back to Badab events, I'd love to get / keep in touch regarding this. Really appreciated!!

Inspiring work as always apologist . I'm already working on three different marine armies, otherwise I'd be seriously tempted to paint up some Gatebreakers myself. Perhaps a kill team at some point...

As usual the combination of fluff/lore, conversions and painting is excellent. I also particularly like the use of infiltrator bolt carbines to make auto bolt rifles, and will be shamelessly stealing the idea for my Crimson Fists .

As for Bladeguard, I think your idea of using maces and boarding shields would be extremely cool, especially considering the Chapter symbol. Basically this (artwork not mine), but in Gatebreaker colours:

Looking forward to your next update!

Would love to see you tackle a Gatebreaker – really digging your Crimson Fists, and the Gatebreakers are another Chapter that would fit nice nods to the past. Please don't consider it stealing – ideas are for sharing, after all :)

Thanks for the kind words; and that artwork you shared has me decided: maces it is!

Brilliant stuff as always, I can't wait to see the Land Raider and the Dreadnought finished. I've been a big fan of the Dread since seeing it in your Alien Wars thread a while back!

Thanks very much. To be clear, this is a second Dreadnought (couldn't resist!), so the Blood Angel one is still on the blocks. As for seeing it painted, here's how it stands now:

b.jpg

Along with a group of marine bodies, it's base-painted, varnished and awaiting sacred unguents an oil paint wash:

c.jpg

You'll spot a Mark III Iron Armour torso at the front left – that was a fun conversion that involved trimming down the Primaris torso, then fitting details cut from an Iron Armour torso in order to get the proportions right.

Those are great! For the Necron bases, what about putting piles of goo, but no plants or anything. Some things liquefy instead of rust, so green or purple goo puddles could emphasize that they've ruined what was previously there. 

That's a cool idea – ties in with the entropic, timeless feel of the Necrons, too. Thanks.

I am looking forward to seeing the modeling of Brother Yeng!

And I know exactly how you feel - I can't wait to get my hands on that new Techmarine... and dread what will happen to Sabaan as I glacially try to convert it to his likeness! :tongue.:

I am also both deeply honoured.. and honestly a bit scared ... at your offer to join your little sandbox!

While I am quite literally oathed to finish my stuff for the Lockdown and Back to Badab events, I'd love to get / keep in touch regarding this. Really appreciated!!

No need to feel scared, Xin – it's a fun place to share some stuff and write some stories :) Very happy to hear from you either on the thread, or via PM – perhaps we can collaborate on bringing Sabaan and Yeng to life :)

+++

+ Killing Quarters +

Closing her eyes, Kills tipped her head back, easing the strain in her neck. She breathed out. Eyes still closed, she took a sip of water from the tumbler in her hand. Never tasted the same planetside, she thought, no matter the planet, no matter the sector. Finishing the water, she stood, grimacing. Nor the segmentum, for that matter. She suddenly felt very small, very isolated. Drawing herself up, she shook off the feeling.

Restlessly, she paced across her quarters. There was nothing for it. It was time to consult the Rogue Trader. Taiwo might be a supercilious bastard, but he was too canny not to have deployed an agent or two in amongst the work crews the Gatebreakers had requested. That in itself was unusual. Two years into the deployment, and this was the first request the Chapter had made of the expedition.

In that time, the Primaris of Chapter 333 had seemingly been integrated well into the Gatebreakers. From Haim and Brunski's reports, the two groups operated together very successfully. Kills knew of thirteen primary engagements that the 9th had made; and that was just in the Strikeforces to which she had attached her acolytes. Throne alone knew how many of them there were – the Gatebreakers certainly weren't forthcoming on that.

Kills peered out of the viewport for some time, brooding over her lack of knowledge of the Chapter, before finally throwing her mantle around her shoulders and setting out. 

Setting a smart pace down the corridors of the flagship, ratings and servants saluted or genuflected as she passed. She barely acknowledged them. Both of her principal aides had been injured during the sortie with the Sabact, so she keyed in an order to Castaway to meet with her. That would require shuttle time.

How had things changed? After the initial wariness, the Chapter had seemed to welcome the intake of Primaris, directing all contact with the Rogue Trader's fleet through them – as a mark of respect, the mysterious Master Sho had reportedly said, and to avoid unintended cultural misunderstandings. Within weeks, Scipius had begun to demur requests for audiences, claiming his warrior-monks required a period of solitude alongside their new brethren, in order better to integrate.

Kills brooded as she marched. On the surface, the integration was a success. Chapter 333 was no more; the Primaris and Astartes of the Gatebreakers Chapter were as one. Their activity across the region was huge – wherever the Rogue Trader's vessels travelled, Gatebreaker ships accompanied them. Seemingly long-lost worlds were being recovered; alien forces pushed back.

On the other hand, the Inquisitor considered, the gifting of a thousand battle brothers of the Adeptus Astartes to so insular a group, under the mastership of such an enigmatic figure as Sho, set her mind on edge. It was infuriating. She knew so much about the individual Gatebreakers she'd met – virtually every one had submitted willingly to the most trivial minutiae in her acolyte's interviews – and yet she knew so little about the Chapter's workings. Most pressing of all: Where were the rest of them? The return of the Rogue Trader's fleet from their exploration of the region to anchorage around Andocrine offered the best opportunity she had to find out.

+++

The Rogue Trader's ready room was as lavish as the rest of his ship, but Kills had no patience for the luxury, nor the staff. At Taiwo's nod, they dispersed. Kills watched until the last of the staff had left, and the doors had closed. He gestured to a seat, but she demurred. Smiling, the Rogue Trader stood up, his manner easy, but radiating confidence. He began to walk around the large room, and Kills fell in beside him.

"You rarely attend me for pleasure, Barbari; so let us dispense with pleasantries." There was a grin in his dark eyes which took any sting from the words. Supercilious he might be, but he had that easy charm common to all the Rogue Traders Kills had met. "There is much to prepare," he went on, gesturing to one of the many large boards covered with slips of paper and notes, "and my time is, regrettably, the resource of which I never seem to have enough."
Kills began. "The Gatebreakers, then." Taiwo gave a small nod, as though he had foreseen the subject.
"You want to know how repairing their fortress goes?" he asked.
"I know how it progresses, Taiwo. The specifics are coded, but not beyond my sight – nor, I suspect, yours." She took a glance at the Rogue Trader, who remained looking forward. His handsome face hinted only at mild amusement.
"I couldn't say, Inquisitor, of course." The two continued their stately progress, and Kills tried another tack at the corner.
"You have deployed twenty thousand ratings; indentured thirteen construction enginseers, and marked two adepts of the Mechanicus to the support of the Chapter's reconstruction efforts."
"I have."

A pause. She tried a third approach.

"I have not spoken with Scipius for some time now."
"Nor I, Barbari. Do you know they call him the Unworthy now?" Master Scipius was tall, and honourable, and straightforward; a paragon of the Adeptus Astartes. He all but radiated virtue and honour – but he had hardly been cordial company during the long voyage to the rim. He didn't deserve the nickname, of course, but neither the Rogue Trader nor Inquisitor quite resisted their urge to grin.
"Yes, Castaway is still getting to the bottom of the reason for that. Captain Scipius now, of course."
"Not quite a demotion, Kills. The Gatebreakers seem to have a very unusual command structure – insofar as I understand things." The Inquisitor arched an eyebrow, but if Taiwo noticed, he made no reaction. "Very dispersed. Scipius retains Commandery of the Primaris."
"Is that so? I had been given to understand the two forces were serving alongside one another in all ways; like spirits and mixer."
"No; not completely. Some Strikeforces remain purely Astartes – and before you ask, no, I don't know why; in fact, I can only say that for sure because my forces have deployed alongside them."
Kills hid her eagerness poorly. "Where?" 
"The Kua Fu Cluster worlds. We found three Gatebreaker micro-fleets during our operations there. Frigates; nothing greater in displacement. They nearly fired on us, until the Sanctity of Man hove into view around the planet."
"A shield of green and gold, eh?" remarked the Inquisitor, quoting Scipius' declared intentions for his Chapter during their honorary welcome to the Rogue Trader's fleet. Both the Inquisitor and Rogue Trader were silent for a moment. It seemed a long time since then. 
As they passed the great doors, redolent in gold, Taiwo broke the silence.
"I'm pleased the Space Marine escort was there, that's all I'm saying. I have no desire to squander my resources fighting Imperial servants – that is, fighting our allies." Taiwo had caught the Inquisitor's eye. He may have leeway as a Rogue Trader, but even suggesting to an Inquisitor that his fleet did not, ultimately, belong to the Imperium, was a dangerous path to tread. Kills waved it off. She was no radical; but the equally she held few puritanical views. Her flexibility and adaptability had been why the Ordo Propter had deployed her to the operation, after all. 

The door chimed; and Kills' communicator buzzed silently. Castaway had arrived.

Before Taiwo could order the door opened, Kills drew to a halt. The Rogue Trader stopped too, his broad-cheeked face for once unguarded.
"I'm not going to sanction you, Rogue Trader. To be candid, you and I are mutually dependent. Neither of us is overburdened with friends to hand out here. With the Gatebreakers deployed to Andocrine, my work here is done; as is yours. You are free to explore and exploit this region as you see fit – expanding the borders of Imperium, boosting trade, and all the other worthy acts of which your kind do best." She waved her hand, airily. "Equally, I am free to return to the workings of the inner galaxy; to retreat from this barren region..." She trailed off, looking to the great viewport on the opposite wall. It remained blank, and Kills could not tell whether this was because it was switched off, or whether it was simply showing the endless, starless sweep of the end of the galaxy, and start of the void.

"And yet?" Taiwo prompted, as the door chimed a second time. Kills looked straight at him.
"And yet we have both returned here. Of all the places in this cast region, we have returned to a ruined Chapter Fortress, to make it right. We are linked to them, you and I; to the Gatebreakers. And before this Master Sho slips the leash, I would know to whom we have handed over a Chapter of the Adeptus Astartes."

+++

Edited by apologist

The plot thickens. I commend your writing, I am wholly intrigued.

Thanks, Torbenos – hope to keep your attention :)

b.jpg

With the paint blocked in (see the post above), the Gatebreakers look bright and clean – lovely for parade ground troops, but not so fitting for soldiers in the midst of desperate warfare during the Dark Millennium. As described in the tutorial on +Death of a Rubricist+, I used a matt spray varnish to protect the acrylics, then slathered burnt umber oils over the figures, as shown below. 

d.jpg
Whereas before I had worked either on an individual model basis or in groups of two or three, I experimented here with larger groups. This was a test for leaving the oil in place for slightly longer, something that'll inevitably be necessary when working up the Land Raider.

e.jpg
I used white spirit and a cotton bud (Q-tip) to gently wipe away the oil from surfaces, working in consistent downward strokes where possible. Very relaxing. The Dreadnought is a resin model, so I can cautiously suggest that the technique works for that in just the same way. I'd be particularly careful to ensure that resin is well-primed to avoid contact with the white spirit, but that's not based on anything beyond a hunch. 

f.jpg
...and that's where I left them overnight. The morning light (see above) shows the glossiness has begun to disappear as the oils oxidise. They're still slightly tacky to the touch, but once they've had a full day, I think they'll be alright to varnish. It's then onwards to tidying and highlighting. You'll notice that I've left a bit more oil on these ones than the previous batch. I felt I had slightly over-cleaned the earlier marines, and ended up adding in more shading later on. Now I've had a chance to practise, I'm more confident that I can successfully overpaint with acrylics, so I left some more dirt and marks to work up and develop further. 

Looking nice. I can't use oils, but these results are really nice. I'm planning to do a technique similar to your q tip one, swabbing away Coelia Greenshade for what should be nicely grim armour. Loving the fluff, by the way, you manage to capture the feeling of 40k like the good BL books. 

Looking nice. I can't use oils, but these results are really nice. I'm planning to do a technique similar to your q tip one, swabbing away Coelia Greenshade for what should be nicely grim armour. Loving the fluff, by the way, you manage to capture the feeling of 40k like the good BL books. 

Yes, the technique works nicely with acrylics, too; this is essentially a development of what I did with my Iron Warriors. I found that adding flow improver helps to avoid tidelines where things dry, but that can also be a useful effect.

...and thanks for your comments on the writing; that's really very kind. 

I really like the Dreadnought in the Gatebreaker scheme! It's really a shame they haven't returned that Dread pattern in the HH range...

And thanks for the kind words. I'd love to drop you some PM to talk shop, so as not to derail this thread.

Sounds cool to me