'No Impediment to Progress' – The Gatebreakers

+ Midgame +

+ Overconfidence is a killer – and though the Gatebreakers had had a storming start, the genestealers were ahead on points, having captured two objectives early on and raising a vox on one of them.  The Space Marines needed to capitalise on their strong start, and play catch-up. However, the Church was now in a position to make more of its own strategems, and close-in fighting would potentially favour the xenos monsters... +

3a.jpg

+ Heedless of danger, the Gentle raced forward to claim the central objectives – only for the smouldering Truck 01 to smash into him, moments after disgorging Brother Onderghast and the hybrids of the Enlightened Circle. +

+ Member-Ordinary Akinyemi roared out his anger, and led half of Thunderhead in an advance on the Goliath. +

[This would prove to be a critical error on my part. Having been lulled by the squads ability to advance and fire their Auto Bolt Rifles at full effect, I realised moments too late that advancing would prevent them from charging. D'oh! Bob Hunk graciously offered to allow me to take back the advance, but I thought it would be a good learning moment.]

xd.jpg

+ Full of fire and fury, Eremite Rama burst round – or rather through – the damaged corner with a corner. The startled neophytes dropped their vox-rigging and scrambled backwards as Rama advanced upon them, bolt pistol blazing. +

3b.jpg

+ The Gentle rocked backwards, injured but alive, as Member-Cardinal Amdu Tsang yelled out a warning. +

3d.jpg

+ Shaking their heads to clear them, Cloudburst fell back, desperately trying to draw a foggy bead on their foe. The oppressive fog prevented any damage being caused, and the beleaguered Astartes desperately scrambled backwards. + 

4.jpg

+ Combat was short and scrappy, with the All-Father taking down two of the Astartes [Another set of unfortunate rolls, offset slightly by Bob Hunk's expedient use of a command point.] Eremite Rama bulled over four of his opponents, the survivors desperately trying to drag him down. + 

+ In the centre, the Enlightened Circle tore into Tsang's combat squad, their heavy rock drills and swirling combat blades bringing down three of the marines; who killed all but one of the alien hybrids in return. +

4a.jpg

+ Brother Onderghast defiantly waved his icon, hissing and snarling at the Gentle, who was wavering from blood loss. Repeated vicious blows from the corporator hybrid nearly felled him, and he fell to his knees. +

+ The objective remained in alien hands, and Tsenpo reluctantly committed his reserves. Stepping out of cover, he was himself hit, sprawling backwards, badly hurt. +

[This swirling combat, involving the Goliath, the Iconward and the Acolytes against the Apothecary and two – soon to be three – combat squads of Gatebreakers would prove crucial. Although the Gatebreakers outnumbered the genestealers, the bulk of the Goliath prevented their troops getting close enough to make numbers count.]

+++

+ Closing turns +

+ Strikeforce IX was closing in fast on the Church's early lead. They now contested two of the previously alien-held objectives, and had held onto their own. Furthermore, they had scored a Cull the Enemy agenda, and no characters had yet been assassinated. +

4b.jpg

+ Screeching defiance, Onderghast was clubbed down by Hook Echo – but the hybrid gave a cackle of joy as the failsafe explosive device on Truck 01 exploded, tearing apart the vehicle and a number of Astartes in an apocalyptic blast! Shielding itself behind the bulk of the Gentle, the Iconward scrambled away in the confusion, reluctantly abandoning the Church's banner. +

[This was a crucially well-played strategem. As the Gatebreakers finished off the Goliath, Bob Hunk detonated the truck as it was wrecked. This resulted in the death of the last acolyte, but also killed the Gentle and three other Astartes with a decent bunch of mortal wounds.]

+ As the smoke cleared, the grim-faced survivors looked down on their Gentle. He was fatally wounded; a poor omen for the future. +

4c.jpg

+ Over on the western flank, Member-Cardinal Zhangsui's luck finally ran out, as the All-Father furiously tore apart the survivors of his squad and battered him into the wall. As his vision faded, he saw the approaching Wisdom Seekers of Kreen's circle... +

[Hypnotised and battered throughout the game, Cloudbreaker had an awful time of things. Nevertheless, by keeping the Patriarch occupied for so long, and potentially threatening the vox-mast the Neophytes had erected, I think they played a crucial role. I really like the new actions that units can do, as they provide a means for less obviously threatening or damage-dealing units to have a vital place; whether that's setting up voxes or breaking them down.]

5b.jpg

+ The vengeful Gatebreakers took up positions in the ruins. The survivors of the depleted Thunderhead combat squad began to secure the centre of the battlefield while the full strength squad moved to evaluate the chances of apprehending the patriarch. Hook Echo took up position on the first floor, and the remaining marines tore apart the exposed members of the Wisdom Seekers – the survivors scrambling deeper into cover, towards their All-Father. +

[The closing turns were swift, with both sides opting to consolidate their positions. The final turn had no shooting at all, as the Wisdom Seekers were deep in area terrain.]

+ Endgame, postgame and conclusions +

5.jpg

+ The sounds of gunfire dropped, as it became clear the Church's forces had been thoroughly routed. The field was littered with tattered dead – but at a high cost. Despite relatively low casualties, the Gatebreaker's Gentle had been slain, and the Astartes would be forced to retreat and let the local army occupy the battleground. Worse than this, thought Tsenpo grimly – the accursed prime-corporaptor would now be alerted to its plight, and the nature of its enemy... +

+ Result: Gatebreakers victory +

+ The postgame sequence was necessarily fairly hurried, as Bob Hunk had to head back to his alien lair (or his house, one of the two). It provided some nice narrative results, with Truck 01 being granted Bob Hunk's Mark of Favour (and for any Tenacious D fans, gaining the nickname The Pick-up Truck of Destiny). The only casualty of the Out of Action tests (made by destroyed units) was my nameless Apothecary, who rolled the dreaded '1'. As a result, he suffered a 'Devastating Blow' which meant he lost all his experience. Serves me right for fielding him without a name! +

+ I thought I'd build this into the storyline, and have him actually dying – he can (narratively) be replaced by a new upcoming Gentle – who'll have some shoes to fill, thanks to his predecessor's heroic charge, and will presumably be under the close eye of Gnostic Tsenpo. The same datasheet will be used for his successor, as it has no in-game effect. +

+ Squad Thunderhead, unsurprisingly, were the big beneficiaries for the Gatebreakers. They had claimed scalps in both shooting (including a Cull the Hordes for the puretrains) and in combat, and had Secured the Area. I thought it fitting to give them my MVP award, which meant they gained their first Battle Honour. I opted for Battle-tested, an upgrade which means they can shoot while making an Action, and gain a morale bonus near an objective – a nice all-round bonus that complements their role. +

+++

+ Rather than add some scrappy notes here, I'll pop up some more extensive thoughts on the game, and 9th in general at some point soon in a dedicated inload on the blog. For the moment, suffice to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the game and thought that Crusade is very promising. Thanks as always to my gracious Skumgrod, Bob Hunk, for a fun and involving game. +

Edited by apologist

Just went through the whole thing. I am speechless. Some of the very best Primaris I have ever seen-so much personality and care went onto these minis. Everything, from conversion to paint job is top-notch, and the fluff and background is amazing. Congrats!

Just went through the whole thing. I am speechless. Some of the very best Primaris I have ever seen-so much personality and care went onto these minis. Everything, from conversion to paint job is top-notch, and the fluff and background is amazing. Congrats!

Stop; you'll activate my embarrassment subroutines! Thanks for the kind words – and for anyone who hasn't checked out Master Umbra's awesome Night Lords, go now – what are you waiting for?

+++

Today, it's time for the story to unfold a little further, as we pick up another Eremite – one more consequential than Divine Rama...

Edited by apologist

+ Emblem: Heavy Sorrows +

btitle.jpg

[+appendnote+ – Interview begins: shipcycle 14.]

'Don't memory Fall of Andocrine, mistress.'

'No, was not then Gatebreaker, mistress.'

'Yes, was lived. Tales... uh... telled? by Gnostic...'

'...'

'No mistress, will not uh... steer? from talking about er... headspace? of Andocrine, mistress.'

'...'

'Yes, will uh... cessation naming Mistress mistress.'

'Comprehend. Heavy Sorrows. Have no Gothic tongue.'

'Role? Ah – duty! Sorrows. Hard to er... tongue? Ah... rune? No. Not rune. Emblem is better.'

'...'

'Beginning: was not then Gatebreaker, so don't memory Fall of Andocrine.'

'Heavy sorrows. Do not comprehend.'

'...'

'Yes. Don't memory, but am telled – told? Sorrows. Told in Tenets of Ten Divine Princes.'

[+appendnote+ – The subject, Emblem, patted his copy of The Tenets of the Ten Divine Princes, which sits on the table before us. It is small, but beautiful. A number of its illuminations are animated crystal-wafer.]

'Yes. Tenets are... verifiable? True. True to Gatebreakers.'

'...'

'No. Yes, comprehend. Not... er... laying? Truth. Literal truth.'

'...'

'Yes, gods.'

'...'

'Yes, from beyond the edge.'

'Yes.'

[+appendnote+ – There is an extended pause as Emblem rifles through his copy of the tenets. His halting tongue belies his obvious intelligence; but I detect no dissembling. He is not, I suspect, trying to mislead me. After interviewing Sho, and Yeng, and the rest of the Masters of the Chapter, it is frustrating to find that the one who seems to wants to tell me the whole truth is unable to. At length, his begauntleted fingers holding two places in the book, he gestures with the other hand, open-palmed. A finely-beaded prayer chain is draped over his palm. I cannot help noticing that each bead is a tiny translucent skull. I do not think they are sculpted.]

'Yes?'

[+appendnote+ – The first page shows one of the crys-wafers: a beautiful reproduction of a star chart that has been rendered largely symbolic by some long-forgotten Chapter illuminator's extravagant flourishes. I recognise it as the Andocrine system, though there are a number of anomalous objects.]

'...'

'Yes, from beyond the edge.'

[+appendnote+ – Apparently pleased, Emblem activates the crys wafer. A strange sigil tracks through the system; and a number of the anomalies disappear.]

'Star-rocks. Star-rock-fields. These were er... true? These were. Now not were – not are? Worlds now star-rock-fields?'

[+appendnote+ – He seems agitated, but pleased when I mention asteroids. He tries the word out several times, rolling it around as though tasting it.]

'Yes, aster-oids. Were worlds, true; then aster-oids. True. Now this.'

[+appendnote+ – I do not understand the second illumination at all, at first. Emblem waits, patiently, while I look more closely. At last, it resolves itself – somewhat, at least. It is a picture of the galaxy from outside. Far outside. I look up at him sharply.]

'The gods. From beyond the edge. Not true-god; no. 

'...'

Not god-Emperor god. Other gods.'

'...'

'No, not there outside. Er... other outside. Sorrows. Beyond?'

[+appendnote+ – When I cautiously venture that he is referring obliquely to powers of the immaterium, he bridles; clenching the prayerbeads tightly. The motion reminds me, absurdly, of a high-habber clutching at a necklace of precious pearls, and I wave my hands placatingly. He is murmuring a small catechism – in what sounds curiously like singsong, partly nonsensical High Gothic. Wondering if he is, perhaps, after all, not telling me the entire truth about his grasp of Gothic, I venture the next question in High Gothic. He looks almost endearingly bemused. I suspect his knowledge of the prayer is pure rote.]

'Not diyu. Not diyu. Never diyu.'

[+appendnote+ – Emblem is highly agitated, and clearly on the verge of leaving. I spend a few minutes calming and reassuring him, showing him my protective wards and seals of purity. Begrudgingly, he resumes his seat and tries again. His frustration at being unable to vocalise the concepts are obvious – and all the more galling because I desperately want to understand what this other outside is. His hand movements become increasingly wild, sweeping and broad.]

'The sword. This. It is Gatebreaker er... relict? But not from Gatebreaker, see? We found in the ruins. It is er... sorrows. Do not know tongue. Sign? Sigil? Bond of Uridimmu.'

[+appendnote+ He pauses, holds two fingers up to the vent of his slit-eyed mask, then makes a sharp motion, like a backwards nod. It would be nonsensical; but for Haim's cultural speed-training. She has told me it is a sort of idiomatic ward of the evil eye, when one is forced to say something distasteful or wicked. It made no sense to me before, but now I see a helmeted warrior make the motion, I understand it as an exaggerated spitting motion.] 

'...'

'No, Uridimmu is not god.'

'...'

'Outside; yes. Uridimmu moves between outside and... er... other outside. Not diyu. Rgh.'

[+appendnote+ Again, the same mock-spit.] 

'...'

'Sword is invested. Cuts well; well-balanced. Through all plate, cuts well. Brings death to the xenos.

[+appendnote+ – This last phrase is beautifully pronounced, each syllable tinkling into place like a Scholam Solar graduate. Remark – I wonder if it is a phrase Emblem has picked up from the Primaris; from Scipius, perhaps?]

'Sword-sigil found after fall of Andocrine. Left by sigil of Uridimmu. Chapter er... vaults? Strongbox? emptied; our stories gone. Sword instead. Sword-sigil left by Uridimmu-sigil. Taken up by er... winner? Champion? Gatebreaker Eremite Champion.'

'...'

'Yes, we use it brings death to the xenos. Very good. Very uh... strong? I keep it from others; other Gatebreakers.'

'...'

[+appendnote+ – At this point, he lifted the blade – the strange, flat, bludgeon-like blade that seemed half-sword, and half club. He touched the pommel to his temple. I was nonplussed by the gesture. Haim had said nothing about this, as far as I could remember, and I half-wondered whether I should consult my notes to check.]

'No, Inquisitrix; not that sort of other; just the other Gatebreakers. Not the femto-cryptocracy. Sho and the Masters insist I keep the accursed blade away from the others – for reasons I'm sure you'll find obvious.'

[+appendnote+ – I confess I blinked at his sudden fluency.]

'It's draining, but needs must, mistress. It's critical you understand the gravity of the situation; of the femtotech. We're – rgh –going to be drawn in again – he won't long ignore another thousand of us; it's destabilising. Bastard's a jealous sort; doesn't readily entertain a real challenge to his – ach. Has Master Sho – agh – consulted with you on the diaspora of the Primaris through... – agh – throughout the fl–...? Ng. Fleet. I. can't – rgck.'

[+appendnote+ – His hand, which had been trembling with increasing severity, finally dropped the blade. It fell to the floor with a disappointingly tinny clatter. His back bent, shoulders heaving, he made no immediate move to pick it up. His helm was a mask.]

'Heavy sorrows. Wait. Sorrows.'

'...'

*Laboured breathing'Yes. *pause* Understand... *pause* Understand... sword-sigil, understand Uridimmu-sigil. Understand outside; other outside.'

+++

b.jpg

Edited by apologist

That was an incredibly fun read— I loved the use of his poor gothic comprehension. Really felt the giant chasm between the Gatekeepers’ and what could be considered normal Imperium culture. Top notch conversion too! The conversion of the robe over more utilitarian armor amplifies the Yojimbo feel of the one sleeve thing.  

I am all in on the mystery of the femto-cryptocracy, femtotech and implications of "he won't long ignore another thousand of us; it's destabilizing." However, my favorite line has to be, "I cannot help noticing that each bead is a tiny translucent skull. I do not think they are sculpted." It's that sort of touch, a light nod to how weird the 40k universe can be, that just, yes.

• 2 weeks later...

That was an incredibly fun read— I loved the use of his poor gothic comprehension. Really felt the giant chasm between the Gatekeepers’ and what could be considered normal Imperium culture. Top notch conversion too! The conversion of the robe over more utilitarian armor amplifies the Yojimbo feel of the one sleeve thing.  

Thanks KBA – your kind comments are very much appreciated; and the samurai/ronin feel fits this Eremite well, I think.

I am all in on the mystery of the femto-cryptocracy, femtotech and implications of "he won't long ignore another thousand of us; it's destabilizing." However, my favorite line has to be, "I cannot help noticing that each bead is a tiny translucent skull. I do not think they are sculpted." It's that sort of touch, a light nod to how weird the 40k universe can be, that just, yes.

Cheers Jaxom. I find that sense of weirdness, wonder and exploration can get lost when we circle closer and close on details; instead of intentionally creating inconsistences and mystery.

Do my eyes deceive me or does that executioners sword resemble the gatebreakers chapter icon?

Inspiring work as always!

You'd have to ask the ever-talented K0rdhal, who sculpted the sword. I wouldn't put it past him! ;)

Always a pleasure to read well done battle reports, Apologist :smile.:

Crusade system seems to be working as intended for you, then?

Thanks Sherrypie; always fun to write down the events of a game. Crusade seems to be working nicely so far :)

+++

+ The Eremite Emblem +

j.jpg

The Eremite known as Emblem (above) has got some paint down on him. He's got to be varnished, and then I'll be doing a batch of burnt umber oil washes on him and the arms for the soldiers below.

For the coat, I'm planning on using the same deep worn leather look I used on Nayam Shai Murad's coat, as this looks practical and utilitarian, and will also give some nice eye-catching contrast.

t.jpg

Impressive as always. N00b question here: If I understood correctly, you varnish before oil washing? What is the logic behind that? Genuine question, really! Would like to learn from your reasoning.

I go into it a bit more on +Death of a Rubricist+, but the short answer is that As I understand things, oils ‘dry’ (well, oxidise) very slowly. If you paint over them with quick-drying acrylics (as I do for highlights), the unoxidised oils can eat into the acrylics.

Varnishing between acrylics and overlaying oils is basically my way of doing belt and braces.

I go into it a bit more on +Death of a Rubricist+, but the short answer is that As I understand things, oils ‘dry’ (well, oxidise) very slowly. If you paint over them with quick-drying acrylics (as I do for highlights), the unoxidised oils can eat into the acrylics.

Varnishing between acrylics and overlaying oils is basically my way of doing belt and braces.

Oh, thank you for the explanation, Apologist! Interesting. Lately, I am seeing more and more people using oils.

• 2 weeks later...

Great work. Always been scared to try the segmented paint scheme, but you've pulled it off expertly. I especialy like the smooth chest that show it off better

Cheers, War of the Eagle – it's scary, but thoroughly rewarding when it works! I find the trick is to paint the lighter parts first – you can be quite messy with this – and then use the paint with greater coverage (green, in this case) to paint a line. With a line in place, you then just paint away from it.

Deciding to trim away the chest eagles here was the best decision I made. I was really miffed to have got such crisp lines on the previous ones – only to then paint the eagles over the top! :D

Oh, thank you for the explanation, Apologist! Interesting. Lately, I am seeing more and more people using oils.

My pleasure. I don't pretend to be anything but a journeyman painter, but it's always fun trying new things. I hope you give oils a go; they're a lot of fun.

+++

+ More Gatebreakers appear on the long-range scans +

a.jpg

Pictured here are Emblem, a whole pile of bits, and Musterion Dorius Brinn, a Rift Team commander (Musterion is a sort of low-ranking Gnostic) clad in one of the Gatebreakers' exceedingly scarce and much-patched Terminator suits. 

Brinn is an unexpected and very kind gift from K0rdhal, my fellow traveller on this journey to the distant edge of the galaxy – cheers chum!  We'll have to see how he fits into the narrative...

In addition to the bits above, I'm very pleased to say that another of the Gatebreakers' fleets has translated into Bolter & Chainsword space – if you like what's here, go check out the very talented Vazzy's new thread + Forgotten sons + for another take on the Gatebreakers. 

• 2 weeks later...
+ Taiwo Potestas +

k.jpg

"It is difficult. Excluding Rogue Trader Taiwo from the planning has little to recommend it, Unworthy."

"We are all mindful of the restrictions; of the margins under which we operate, Apothecary-gentle Yeng."

The apothecary shook his head sadly. "That... That I do not believe; Unworthy."

Scipius narrowed his eyes, and – so it seemed to the Taiwo – sat still straighter. The room hung with sweet incense. Cinnamon; galbanum; a peppery hint that the Rogue Trader could not place. Scipius was tall, even for a space marine, even for one of the new Primaris; and slender. His posture was impeccable; straight-backed and clean, and so although he had adopted the cross-legged posture of the rest of the gathered Masters, he stood out like a sore thumb. 

"Precedent is set in your – our – traditions, Gentle. It was written in the era of the Three Sages. Was it not Karna who said that..."

The apothecary finished the sentence, wearily "...in war time, all, including children, should be issued arm."  

"And yet?"

"Karna say that in making them men, Karna is kill the children herself."

Kixang Sjakpaba, Master of the Fifth, grinned. His teeth glittered in the dim light as he wrapped his hands around the horse-shaped pommel of his sword, his hands flexing as though imagining fighting already.

"Children with blades can cut. Can kill. Why not make them men? I have fought besides our Young Warriors many times. Scouts are children and killers. To train, to grow; if that is to kill the child, what harm? The woman birth child; but the child must birth the man he become." He grinned at Taiwo, the ragged scar and implanted studs making his face lop-sided and stark in the moonlight. "Taiwo here, example. Though he not measure up to us, I say he could be trained to kill, even so. I say we give him blade; see whether he cut himself – or cut us a new space to fight our enemies." The Rogue Trader tilted his chin and smiled right back. He was used to – indeed, enjoyed – the bluster of competition during negotiations. Sjakpaba was straightforward besides; a likeable warrior.

Taiwo was finding talking to the Astartes' council every bit as varied and alien as – well – the xenos he had encountered. It was invigorating. He returned Sjakpaba's salute, then turned to listen to Scipius. The stern warriors' tone was dry as he addressed the Master of the fifth.

"I fear I do not appreciate the poetry; but nevertheless I am grateful for what I take as your support in this matter, brother." 

Sjakpaba gave a good-hearted laugh as he leaned back, pleased with the sport. Scipius went on, addressing those ranged about the hearth in the circular room. "The rest of you? In the journey here, I had dared to imagine such councils would be conducted with the decorum and discipline of the Adeptus Astartes on the basis of well-founded intelligence and knowledge; not by the whims of frontier warlords, beholden to none save their desires."

Dün bristled at the slight. Taiwo had not been formally introduced to the Master of the seventeenth – or was it seventh? – strikeforce. He was a beautiful man; or perhaps would have been. The distortion of becoming an Astartes had thickened cheekbones that might have otherwise been fine, and recessed glittering eyes; but in turn it had granted his baked-ivory visage presence and nobility. Long, straight, black hair hung down on either side of his face, framing a fiercely controlled gaze.

"You forget yourself, Unworthy of the New First." 

Scipius did not react. He was poised, his back straight, head upright, and hands resting on his knees. Far from the insouciant slouch that made most of the gathered Astartes look like resting predators, Scipius still looked as though he was on parade. The posture was simultaneously so perfectly authentic and ripely amplified that Taiwo took it for a subtle jibe. 

The bastard might not like these warlords, Taiwo thought, so he's going to out-do them at their own game.

The long journey to the galaxy's edge had built an admiration for Scipius in the Rogue Trader – though he had not grown to like the Master of Chapter 333. The Primaris marine was the very symbol of discipline, and that allowed no space for half measures or familiarity beyond that necessary for operations. Taiwo had continued to meet with Scipius during the integration of the Primaris intake with the Gatebreakers; and had watched the Master absorb and take on every element of his new place; memorising the charts, reading the histories, and taking on the culture of the Chapter with an edge that spoke of competition.

Dün was every inch Scipius' equal in presence. He had been the first to survive crossing the Rubicon; and it was his experience that had allowed Yeng to stabilise the process somewhat – though the casualties remained so horrendous that Sho had, in a rare direct order, limited the numbers that were allowed to undertake the procedure. Taiwo felt it wise. He had been excluded from the previous gatherings, but he hadn't become a Rogue Trader without resources. He was quite aware of how the strength of the Chapter, newly reinforced, had been haemorrhaging precious – and veteran – warriors before the dictate.

Dün had drawn himself up to mirror Scipius' posture. "You have travelled here, bearing strange new technologies; an army to match and swell our own. As is written, Well-met is a brother who bears gifts, and gives them, and asks nothing in return. Yet you do. You ask us not merely to adapt – as we have for millennia – but to change irrevocably." He turned now, appealing to the room. "Already the barbarians from the Core shun the ways that have kept us alive and fighting; attempting to turn hard-won knowledge and personal initiative into rote roles, with slack taken up by new technology, new weapons and new equipment." Dün turned his face from Scipius to Sho, slumped in the skins on the throne. "We are sore-pressed, Master of Masters. But ever was it so. It is the very reason for our presence here; and one harmonious with the Emperor's will as revealed through the Divine Princes. The Gatebreakers have never broken; never will. As the Poet Takanare wrote in the Odes of Gem: It is not the armour around the man; but the heart within him." This last was delivered in flawless Imperial Core Gothic, a clear jibe at Scipius. "In bringing us new blood, Scipius risks replacing our heart."

To his credit, Scipius' face did not stir. Taiwo looked up at Sho, the Chapter's First Master, who sat silently on the dais. The Rogue Trader felt oddly at home. Having lived his life visiting the courts and councils of aliens – many of whom could have killed him on the spot – the potential threat to his life was part and parcel of his existence; a datum to be weighed. The discussions here, for all their theatre, were the mirrors of those he had conducted himself. Like the gathered Masters, he waited to hear the shadowed figure's judgement.

"Hm." Sho grunted. "I have heard enough from my council." He waved fingers to dismiss the staff, but pointed at Taiwo as all save the Astartes began to leave. "You; Rogue Trader. What would you have my Gatebreakers do?"

Not a bit abashed, Taiwo rose from the seat he had been provided, and stepped forward into the pool of moonlight the circular opening in the ceiling allowed. 

"Do, Master Sho? Why, I'd have you do what you do best: attack." Sjakpaba and Master Borom slapped their legs in approval, broad grins on both their battered faces. Taiwo stopped himself from smiling as he continued, his tone changing. He picked his words carefully, "From what little I gather, you have shepherded a dying flame for some decades now." 

Flicking a glance at Dün, whose measuredly blank expression was a mask, "Given the circumstances, that was a task of great achievement, of course. I mean no insult to any gathered here. But a dwindling flame, however well-tended, will eventually be extinguished."  

Yeng spoke up, "This is a wise child, Master Sho." His face, like those of the more bellicose gathered masters, was twisted into a wry grin. "Such children are already men. Should we not arm them; bring them into our circle?"

Taiwo inclined his head in gratitude to Yeng, and gestured to Scipius.

"Scipius, however, is right." Sho tilted his head at this. Shadowed as he was on the throne, whether the shift in attitude was amusement or interest was unclear. "I am a warlord myself, Master Sho. I command a fleet that – with respect – matches your combined fleets in displacement and capability. I know this to be true; for the past year has seen my representatives working alongside the remainder of the Gatebreakers; old and new. I make no threat with this statement; but it is with good reason that Rogue Traders and Space Marines are voluntary allies; not beholden or obliged to one another."

Sho gestured for him to go on as the gathered Masters murmured amongst themselves. 

"I do not need to be privy to your war plans, Sho. In truth, I fear such an alloying of your forces and mine would be a brittle result. I will, however, put my vessels at your ease; should you and your forces desire passage. In return, I ask nothing but that access to the worlds of the Edge that are already mine by Imperial fiat." 

Out of the corner of his eye, Taiwo saw the old apothecary's grin widen still further. Yeng understood. The Rogue Trader struggled to keep a smug smile from appearing on his own face.

"Hm." Sho's reply was almost like a cough. "Free passage for my warriors; a fleet that – as you so shyly intimate – gives me a second blade to grasp in the defence of this part of the Emperor's Realm. Truly you have poured gold at my feet, Rogue Trader. Between the intake led by Master Scipius; and your clearly thankless devotion to duty" – Sho's voice dripped with irony, and Taiwo made a mock-bow – "I am presented with the means, will and ambition to do more than merely cup my hands around a tallow candle." This was accompanied by an arched eyebrow; though Taiwo thought he detected something ill-hidden beneath the feigned detachment. "With these gifts, I could rekindle a torch in the darkness."

"Hm." The pause lengthened. Taiwo wondered if the warrior or the statesman in Sho would triumph. All eyes were solemn, all trained on the enthroned Master of Masters as he leaned forwards, his sharp features and black eyes appearing from the gloom. Taiwo knew this was the crux.

"Know this, Rogue Trader. A torch burns brightly. It can burn more swiftly, also. Know this also: I have spent many mortal lifetimes as the shepherd you describe. I have also spent a wretched period as a servant of two Masters."

The gathered Gatebreakers shuffled uneasily. Taiwo was, of a sudden, aware that this game had more depths than he had suspected. Sho looked around the room, no longer addressing Taiwo individually, but taking in all his men. His eyes moved from one to another, lingering perhaps a moment longer on Scipius than the others.

"No king of balance and wisdom seeks to stand alone; but justly, he must do so where his strength enables. Such are the demands of duty. We – I – have justified our inaction these past decades through honeyed words: 'the interests of a greater good'; 'when circumstances are auspicious', but in truth, we have lacked a blade sufficient to the task; long since lacked."

Another pause.

"No longer. You offer me the chance to excise this shame, and cast off a most unwelcome yoke." Sho's gaze flicked back to Taiwo. "I accept."

Taiwo held the Master's gaze. Abruptly, Sho looked down. The Rogue Trader did not even see the blade move, but it clattered, horribly loudly, at his feet. Momentarily taken aback, he saw Sho's scabbard sway as it came back to rest against the space marine's side. Taiwo hoped, for an absurd second, that it was merely the incense making him light-headed.

"You have not asked for payment. It is irrelevant. Whatever the cost; however hard to bear; the Gatebreakers will respect our obligations."

Sho moved on, dismissing Taiwo. Before the Rogue Trader had dazedly left the room, ushered by kindly-faced serfs, he heard the Masters erupt in the chamber.

The die was cast. Taiwo had got his desire: an Astartes Chapter Master indebted to him.

But what had Sho meant? The Master of the Gatebreakers now had, as Taiwo's reckoning, some 1,500 space marines; and a massive fleet at his call. It was an absurd amount of power; straining the spirit of ancient law as much as the letter. It was an extinction force; capable of fully re-manning and reclaiming the Gatebreakers' old territory, with strength left over. 

What possible power in the region could hope to match that – let alone, as the Chapter Master's ominous words had hinted, exceed it?

Edited by apologist

Apologies (well, gratitude, really!) to Vazzy, whose Master Sjakpaba has a cameo at the council gathering above. Really very flattered to have people tackle their own Gatebreakers. :)

Some shots of the WIP marines. They're a bit more exciting now they're assembled!

b.jpg

j.jpg

c.jpg

i.jpg

h.jpg

g.jpg

e.jpg

d.jpg

...and in a group with Emblem:

a.jpg

Great update. Love the story that continues. Can you provide a picture of the chapter emblem. So I can copy it for my Gatebreaker.a larger pic would be cool my eyesight is dwindling lol.

Sure; best I can do at the mo are these details:

GB01e.jpg

c.jpg

Lovely lore, really enjoyed that! I like the models :smile.:. Also liked the reference to Karna. I have plans to paint the SM Heroes 2 Captain as a Gatebreaker, would that be fine? :smile.:

Will the other Masters be making appearances in miniature? 

Thanks BadgersinHills – and please, I'd be delighted to see your take on the Chapter. 

Will the other Masters be making appearances in miniature? Well, I've got Scipius and Sho in progress, and Vazzy has made a fantastic Master Sjakpaba that you can see in his thread on this very subforum :) 

As to the others, I have no immediate plans, but I'll never say never.

Excellent work as always Apologist! Very much appreciate the cameo of Sjakpaba, and you’ve captured his character masterfully.

Out of curiosity, do you paint the chapter emblem before or after the oil wash? My brain says the former but I want to make sure I don’t bitch it too much hahaha.