Taking 1,500 Point Blood Angels List to 2,500 Points

Cris R

Hi Folks,

I was planning on attending NOVA Open this year to participate in the 30k duos event where each team brought two 1,500 points lists to play against other teams. I decided to run Blood Angels since I'm a fan of their lore and look in the Heresy. After discussing ideas for my list with my teammate, I put together one where I take the fight to the enemy using the Day or Revelation RoW and allow my teammate, who was running a Loyalist Iron Warriors list, to hold the back end and provide anti-armor and anti-TEQ fire support. Given that the organizers cancelled it last week, I now have time to expand my list to a full 2,500 points for next year's con.

Here is my list, which hit exactly 1,500 points:

++  Crusade (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List) [1,500pts] ++

+ HQ +

Praetor, Legion [165pts]: Artificer Armour, Inferno Pistol, Jump Pack, Melta Bombs, Paragon Blade

+ Elites +

Apothecarion Detachment [130pts]

. Apothecary, Legion: Jump Pack, Power Armour, Volkite Charger

. . Chainsword or Combat Blade: Chainswords/Combat Blades

. Apothecary, Legion: Jump Pack, Power Armour

Crimson Paladins [260pts]: 4x Crimson Paladins, Plasma Blaster, 4x Sunset Blade

. Crimson Exemplar: Grenade Harness, Sunset Blade

+ Troops +

Assault Squad, Legion , Compulsory [365pts]: 14x Assault Space Marines, Legion

. Additional Wargear: Melta Bombs, 3x Power Axe

. Assault Sergeant, Legion: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol

. . Power Weapon: Power Axe

. Standard Wargear

Assault Squad, Legion , Compulsory [365pts]: 14x Assault Space Marines, Legion

. Additional Wargear: Melta Bombs, 3x Power Axe

. Assault Sergeant, Legion: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol

. . Power Weapon: Power Axe

. Standard Wargear

+ Fast Attack +

Contemptor Incaendius Class Dreadnought [215pts]: Armoured Ceramite, Extra Armour, Heavy Flamer, Meltagun, 2x Talon of Perdition

+ Allegiance +

Legion and Allegiance:   IX: Blood Angels, Loyalist

Rite of War: The Day of Revelation

++ Total: [1,500pts] ++

I've already assembled and primed these models, so I can't change the weapon profiles. I also have unassembled versions of the Blood Angels Contemptora 5-model unit of Dawnbreakers, 10 breachers, 5 Tartaros terminators, and a Tartaros Blood Angels Praetor. I'll probably pick up another unit of Dawnbreakers and 2 units of Angel's Tears for a few ZM lists I'm putting together.

So that's what I have on hand right now. What units should I swap in or out of the list? How can I beef up my list's anti-armor/anti-air/anti-TEQ abilities? What else should I consider when expanding this list? ​Thanks!

Edited by Cris R

You have a challenge to overcome, and it's that your greatest strength on the table ("Day of Revelation") is also your gretest weakness when it comes to list building.

The ROW is tremendously limitating, since it forces you to create a list entirely built around Deep Strike. In fact, i'm still not sure how do Crimson Paladins fit into your current list.

It will be hard to include terminators, breachers, and dreadnoughts (who will be needing drop pods) in a DoR list. Either you should keep expanding the DoR list by buying more flyers and skimmers, or you start from the ground up with a "land based" force. Another alternative is not using the RoW at larger points.

An idea I have, is to make the tartaros praetor into a warmonger with blade of perdition, it will help with transporting terminators via Deep Strike.

Edited by The Scorpion

That RoW requires Compulsory HQ and Troop choices to use jump packs, so I have access to the Paladins in the Elites slot as part of a legal list as long as I meet these requirements along with the one for Deep Strike/Flyer Fast Attack units and restrictions on fortifications, Subterranean Assault units, Immobile Units, and non-flyer LoWs. Furthermore, the Paladins have the Deep Strike as part of their Special Rules, so they can pop in during the first turn. But buying more flyers and skimmers or turning the Tartaros Praetor into a Warmonger might be good options.

Edited by Cris R

The ROW is tremendously limitating,

Uh, no.

Of all the 'jump-based' RoW, this is the one that grants you the most freedom in list building actually, since it doesn't force you to null deploy, and doesn't restrict your access to armoured units, with the exception that you need to include one FA flyer.

And its benefits are far, far greater than its (minor) limitations.

The ROW is tremendously limitating,

Of all the 'jump-based' RoW, this is the one that grants you the most freedom in list building 

This is true. The vanilla rites can be hilariously restrictive to the point I feel like they need an update (Like a mortifactor for Fury of the Ancients). By comparaison, DoR is pretty flexible.