Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Kill Team . . full scale

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

burningsky25

burningsky25

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 66 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels, Adeptus Custodes

I've really enjoyed playing Kill Team more recently, and going back to playing 40K has me a little bummed out about the current ruleset.  There's a lot of things that play really well in Killteam - alternating initiative, alternating actions, really good terrain, command points generated throughout the game.  I know 9th edition will bring command point generation more in line with Kill Team, and improvements to terrain in some regard, but it made me wonder if you could play 40k using Kill Team turn rules.  

Essentially, you would refer to codices for points and unit rules, but movement, turn order, general game rules would be taken from kill team.  Obviously there would be some grey areas, but it made me want to try a 1000 point 40k battle using that ruleset.  Any thoughts? Has anyone tried scaling the kill team rules to squad based battle instead of individuals? Would the clarity and efficiency of the rules be totally counteracted by using squads instead of models? 

Would love to hear peoples thoughts on if a 500-1000pts battle in this format would work, if it wouldn't, and why.

gallery_48988_15465_38466.png

apologist

apologist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,288 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines: The Praetors of Calth

As long as you've got players interested in cooperating in the interests of a good game, it works well. I've played a couple of 8th edition games with alternating activation with great success. As you've suggested, smaller games work best, as there're fewer outliers. We used some markers to track which units had moved to avoid too much book-keeping.

Integrating more of the mechanics from Kill Team should be fairly simple. Give it a go, perhaps with a GM to help smooth out weird bits.

+Death of a Rubricist+

My blog

The Alien Wars – Blood Angels in the Nova Terra Interregnum | May You Live Forever – A narrative Iron Hands blog

Officio Monstrosa – Iron Warriors during the siege of Terra | The Praetors of Calth – Ultramarines from Crusade to Scouring

Master Sheol

Master Sheol

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,700 posts
Using KT unified turn on smaller sized games (201-500 and 501-1000) will work good IMHO
You will use a double KT board for the battlefield (44"*30" or 112*76 cm) so at this small size games (in particular at 201-500) you will have basically the 40k version of KillTeam

As i don't like the IGYG approach i think that the KT unified turn is the best way for main 40k too

BTW Is "funny" that KT and Apo use the unified turn while 40k is still stuck with the 30 years old IGYG system

Edited by Master Sheol, 17 June 2020 - 07:19 AM.

“Battles are won by courage, by standing firm in the face of overwhelming adversity, by advancing into certain death when every instinct is screaming at you to turn.”

Berzul

Berzul

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,493 posts
  • Faction: Wings of Dawn (DA Successors)

I have done it.

I t has worked GREAT.

"Fiat lux!"
- Battle cry of the Wings of Dawn, a Dark Angel's Successor Chapter

gallery_26154_15777_630.png

You can read the developing narrative of the Wings of Dawn, as played out in this currently

ongoing Urban Conquest Crusade campaign: "The Conquest of Exelia Tertius".

Rogue

Rogue

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 853 posts
  • Faction: Red Brotherhood and Gorgons
Care to share any more details?

sml_gallery_48988_15094_15818.png sml_gallery_48988_15094_13535.png ETL_Medal_02.gif gallery_48988_15465_5689.png ETL_2018_Medal_04_ETL_Magister.gif

Painted this year: gravis captain

Berzul

Berzul

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,493 posts
  • Faction: Wings of Dawn (DA Successors)
Mostly done it on 1500 point games..following the same turn activatiom rules.as kill team. Not much more to.add than that, really...

"Fiat lux!"
- Battle cry of the Wings of Dawn, a Dark Angel's Successor Chapter

gallery_26154_15777_630.png

You can read the developing narrative of the Wings of Dawn, as played out in this currently

ongoing Urban Conquest Crusade campaign: "The Conquest of Exelia Tertius".

burningsky25

burningsky25

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 66 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels, Adeptus Custodes
Thanks for sharing your experiences, sounds like it works well for the most part. Give that it's just changing turn order it shouldn't make a huge difference to individual army strength. Moving charges to the movement phase seems like the biggest one, not sure how that would pan out.
I'll give it a try at some point, for now regular kill team games have been what I have time for.

gallery_48988_15465_38466.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users