Kill Team . . full scale

I've really enjoyed playing Kill Team more recently, and going back to playing 40K has me a little bummed out about the current ruleset.  There's a lot of things that play really well in Killteam - alternating initiative, alternating actions, really good terrain, command points generated throughout the game.  I know 9th edition will bring command point generation more in line with Kill Team, and improvements to terrain in some regard, but it made me wonder if you could play 40k using Kill Team turn rules.  

Essentially, you would refer to codices for points and unit rules, but movement, turn order, general game rules would be taken from kill team.  Obviously there would be some grey areas, but it made me want to try a 1000 point 40k battle using that ruleset.  Any thoughts? Has anyone tried scaling the kill team rules to squad based battle instead of individuals? Would the clarity and efficiency of the rules be totally counteracted by using squads instead of models? 

Would love to hear peoples thoughts on if a 500-1000pts battle in this format would work, if it wouldn't, and why.

As long as you've got players interested in cooperating in the interests of a good game, it works well. I've played a couple of 8th edition games with alternating activation with great success. As you've suggested, smaller games work best, as there're fewer outliers. We used some markers to track which units had moved to avoid too much book-keeping.

Integrating more of the mechanics from Kill Team should be fairly simple. Give it a go, perhaps with a GM to help smooth out weird bits.

Using KT unified turn on smaller sized games (201-500 and 501-1000) will work good IMHO

You will use a double KT board for the battlefield (44"*30" or 112*76 cm) so at this small size games (in particular at 201-500) you will have basically the 40k version of KillTeam

As i don't like the IGYG approach i think that the KT unified turn is the best way for main 40k too

BTW Is "funny" that KT and Apo use the unified turn while 40k is still stuck with the 30 years old IGYG system

Edited by Master Sheol

Thanks for sharing your experiences, sounds like it works well for the most part. Give that it's just changing turn order it shouldn't make a huge difference to individual army strength. Moving charges to the movement phase seems like the biggest one, not sure how that would pan out.

I'll give it a try at some point, for now regular kill team games have been what I have time for.