Picking between IF, BT, and BA

Arch69

After a test. I’ve definitely decided that am not doing imperial fists. After seeing it with my own eyes I can say yellow on marines isn’t my thing. 

Am thinking BLack Templars still or Blood Angels as I’ve tested both out. The red really pops as I used the red though my airbrush.

And the black for marines is very nice

Ive taken a look at Crimson Fists to. And I must say am tempted

If you want black and red, well the Blood Angels have it both! Not only are red, black and gold their chapter colours, they have an entire formation with black armour - the Death Company. Damage wise, they give a lot of units in the game a run for their money, and can be equipped with jump packs or embark on drop in pods, Stormravens or

Land Raiders. They now have DC intercessors even, so Primaris transports are also possible.

I can understand the dilemma. My friend started with Black Templars so I wanted to do something different and picked up the Sons of the Angel. Lore-wise, the Blood Angels have, in my opinion, the richest and possible most badass of the all the Legions so I never regretted that decision.

Whatever chapter you choose, they’re all pretty happy interesting and you probably won’t look back too many times!

After a test. I’ve definitely decided that am not doing imperial fists. After seeing it with my own eyes I can say yellow on marines isn’t my thing. 

Am thinking BLack Templars still or Blood Angels as I’ve tested both out. The red really pops as I used the red though my airbrush.

Ive taken a look at Crimson Fists to. And I must say am temptedt

3 of the best chapters (as far from the better known ones they are the best imo)

Note that I've merged the existing thread (the one you're reading) with the one the OP started today in the Forge (this post). If there is a problem with the topic updating, please post in the Bugs forum so that we can resolve the issue.

Ok thanks. I’ll do that in the future.

Ive taken a look at Crimson Fists to. And I must say am tempted

If you want black and red, well the Blood Angels have it both! Not only are red, black and gold their chapter colours, they have an entire formation with black armour - the Death Company. Damage wise, they give a lot of units in the game a run for their money, and can be equipped with jump packs or embark on drop in pods, Stormravens or

Land Raiders. They now have DC intercessors even, so Primaris transports are also possible.

I can understand the dilemma. My friend started with Black Templars so I wanted to do something different and picked up the Sons of the Angel. Lore-wise, the Blood Angels have, in my opinion, the richest and possible most badass of the all the Legions so I never regretted that decision.

Whatever chapter you choose, they’re all pretty happy interesting and you probably won’t look back too many times!

Am narrowing it down slowly  

I’ve got them lined up in front of me atm. The red is really popping out on the BA

Ive taken a look at Crimson Fists to. And I must say am temptedt

3 of the best chapters (as far from the better known ones they are the best imo)

Yeah it’s a difficult decision. At least I’ve got rid of one and am thinning the ranks of chapters to 3.

Am going to to another pros/cons tonight which will help me.

Is it just the color that will decide the issue for you? Or are you also looking at things like thematic elements (tabbards and chains for the Black Templars; muscle armour, blood drops, and death masks for the Blood Angels; fairly standard appearance for the Crimson Fists)? And do the rules and special units hold any consideration for you?

There are lots of ways that you can take a color scheme that you like and apply it to another sub-faction whose rules/units/theme is more to your liking (this assumes that you end up choosing a color scheme, but aren't quite satisfied with the rules).

I suggest playing a few games with some proxy/counts-as so that you can also experiment with the rules in order to find the set you appeals to you the most. You won't be limited to the three Chapters you've chosen. You might decide that you like the Dark Angels rules and red armour. You can then choose from one of the Dark Angels Successors (if there's one whose red scheme you like) or you can make up your own Unforgiven Chapter.

DIYs are a great way to settle on a sub-faction that fully appeals to you.

Is it just the color that will decide the issue for you? Or are you also looking at things like thematic elements (tabbards and chains for the Black Templars; muscle armour, blood drops, and death masks for the Blood Angels; fairly standard appearance for the Crimson Fists)? And do the rules and special units hold any consideration for you?

There are lots of ways that you can take a color scheme that you like and apply it to another sub-faction whose rules/units/theme is more to your liking (this assumes that you end up choosing a color scheme, but aren't quite satisfied with the rules).

I suggest playing a few games with some proxy/counts-as so that you can also experiment with the rules in order to find the set you appeals to you the most. You won't be limited to the three Chapters you've chosen. You might decide that you like the Dark Angels rules and red armour. You can then choose from one of the Dark Angels Successors (if there's one whose red scheme you like) or you can make up your own Unforgiven Chapter.

DIYs are a great way to settle on a sub-faction that fully appeals to you.

My three main reasons to pick are lore, playstyle and colour. 

Blood Angels Pros the colour, playstyle and lore. 

Don like the muscle armour but Primaris don’t have that. Also not a massive fan of most of the BA characters but I don’t need to field them.

Black Templars Pros. The colour and lore plus playstyle. Like the characters. Also IF successor.

Cons. No librarians.

Crimson Fists Pros the lore, colour and they are form Rogal Dorns line. 

I like the Dark I’ve heard there deathwing are amazing in close combat. And me likes CC and range.

I would run a models as plain dudes to get a feel for the playstyles but I paint in sub parts. 

Edited by Arch69

CC wing? what do you mean by that? 

Deathwing are good in close combat so I’ve heard.

What made you choice BT?

Edited by Brother Tyler
"U" in place of "you" and similar texting short form isn't allowed per the B&C rules.

You like Dorn, youlike the color (least relevant) and you like the Lore or Character ...  and you don't like Librarians

Sounds like your mind is pretty much made up. I'd do with a DIY color scheme because I'm not fan of how hard it is to make black stand out on the table. Kind of blobs up without good highlighting skills that I don't have. I am contemplating a second army and it will be a Blue and [x] color scheme. 

Best wishes with your Templars ;)

CC wing? what do you mean by that? 

Deathwing are good in close combat so I’ve heard.

What made u choice BT?

Assault Centurions (with 4++ and 5+++ in the start for example) or Vanguard Veterans (+chaplain with relic to roll 2 dices forcantlicle of hate litany what give you +2 to charge) with Stratagem that allows you to advance and charge and one that doesnt allow enemies to leave combat.

You like Dorn, youlike the color (least relevant) and you like the Lore or Character ...  and you don't like Librarians

Sounds like your mind is pretty much made up. I'd do with a DIY color scheme because I'm not fan of how hard it is to make black stand out on the table. Kind of blobs up without good highlighting skills that I don't have. I am contemplating a second army and it will be a Blue and [x] color scheme. 

Best wishes with your Templars :wink:

What it was meant to say was I don’t  like that BT have no librarians. But that’s a small price having no psychic units.

I agree with black needed excellent highlights for it to pop. 

I must think some more on this

This is why I always go DIY colors. While some might use it to power game - you know who you are  Iron Hand neophyte ;) - I just am not a fan of soldiers (even in power armor) in garish monochrome colors. Likely because I'm not talented enough to make them look good. 

If you want good lore and colors with IF I think the Crimson Fist are pretty smart looking. Almost reminds me of the Marines winter dress unifroms,

This is why I always go DIY colors. While some might use it to power game - you know who you are  Iron Hand neophyte :wink: - I just am not a fan of soldiers (even in power armor) in garish monochrome colors. Likely because I'm not talented enough to make them look good. 

If you want good lore and colors with IF I think the Crimson Fist are pretty smart looking. Almost reminds me of the Marines winter dress unifroms,

Am a massive lore nutter. So I’d avoid DIY colours. I know I could eventually turn them into a Primaris founding of my distant chapter later. 

So I want to go with an established chapter. 1st or 2nd founding maybe even a new Primaris one.

Crimson Fists look nice. And there homewould is called an epic name Rynn’s World

• 2 weeks later...

I have a bit of an alternative option for you, if you would be interested (if not, just disregard the following). If the opinion is disregarded, I would pick Blood Angels - CMS chapters are a bit too cut and dry for me, and Jolemai with his fellow Blood Angels would be more than happy to have you. 

If you like fast play styles and close combat, then why not consider White Scars? Their primarch is still alive, they are a CSM Chapter, and they got a sweet spot lore wise in the heresy.  Not to mention, they are pro-librarians and primaris, which is what you wanted, and they don't worship the emperor as a God. Meta-wise, I believe they were strong, last I checked. 

Problem is, white is a real annoyance to paint - you could undercoat the miniature with a corax white spray, and shade the areas with nuln oil, but if you are inexperienced that could be a real annoyance to get right.

I may be biased in saying this, but if we were to look at non CMS chapters, then would you consider Dark Angels? Primarch is also alive, and they are notoriously anti-Inquisition and worship of the Emperor. They are also pretty fast with the Ravenwing, and the Deathwing in melee is arguably one of the best melee units in the game, with Deathwing Knights. Meta-wise, not great, unless you run pure Ravenwing, in which case mid-tier. But that might be a benefit to you, as the Ravenwing consists nearly 100% of bikes, with a few land speeders thrown in there. But regardless of how not great they are at the moment, they will always be my main faction, alongside the Grey Knights.

Semi-serious note: Grey Knights also fit your bill, with psychic potential, but at this point, I'm grasping at straws.

I’ve just taken a more in-depth look into the Dark Angels and I must say am intrigued. Might be my choice. The colour scheme is nice and there lore is excellent. I like the fact they had all the nasty toys during the Hersey. And they were used to wipe enemy’s out of the history books. I say this as I’ve just read the new Primarch book about the Lion.

Cons. No librarians.

That's a pro.

Never trust the witch But yeah me like myself some warp tricks in my force. Atm it’s down to Black Templars and Dark Angels. Blood a angels were a close one but with the glorious hawk boy dead. And me collecting Black Legion I really want a force that has a cannot getting there Primarch back. The DA are definitely getting there’s back just a chance with Rogal.   

You’ll be 15 years older btt he gets 40k rules though.

Edit: DA have good lore though. :smile.: and three different color schemes is a plus.

Yeah there definitely not coming back soon ☹

That’s right if I do go DA I’ve got a few different  colours to play with

I have a bit of an alternative option for you, if you would be interested (if not, just disregard the following). If the opinion is disregarded, I would pick Blood Angels - CMS chapters are a bit too cut and dry for me, and Jolemai with his fellow Blood Angels would be more than happy to have you. 

If you like fast play styles and close combat, then why not consider White Scars? Their primarch is still alive, they are a CSM Chapter, and they got a sweet spot lore wise in the heresy.  Not to mention, they are pro-librarians and primaris, which is what you wanted, and they don't worship the emperor as a God. Meta-wise, I believe they were strong, last I checked. 

Problem is, white is a real annoyance to paint - you could undercoat the miniature with a corax white spray, and shade the areas with nuln oil, but if you are inexperienced that could be a real annoyance to get right.

I may be biased in saying this, but if we were to look at non CMS chapters, then would you consider Dark Angels? Primarch is also alive, and they are notoriously anti-Inquisition and worship of the Emperor. They are also pretty fast with the Ravenwing, and the Deathwing in melee is arguably one of the best melee units in the game, with Deathwing Knights. Meta-wise, not great, unless you run pure Ravenwing, in which case mid-tier. But that might be a benefit to you, as the Ravenwing consists nearly 100% of bikes, with a few land speeders thrown in there. But regardless of how not great they are at the moment, they will always be my main faction, alongside the Grey Knights.

Semi-serious note: Grey Knights also fit your bill, with psychic potential, but at this point, I'm grasping at straws.

I’ve just taken a more in-depth look into the Dark Angels and I must say am intrigued. Might be my choice. The colour scheme is nice and there lore is excellent. I like the fact they had all the nasty toys during the Hersey. And they were used to wipe enemy’s out of the history books. I say this as I’ve just read the new Primarch book about the Lion.

We'll be happy to have you at the Rock. Please report to Interrogator Stobz in cell 42 once your gene-implants have been implanted, neophyte.

Regards, 

Knight-Master Skywrath

Cons. No librarians.

That's a pro.

Definite pro. Especially if they decide to blow up and kill more of your own troops than the enemy's. Abhor the witch!

The more I read into psykers the more distrustful I become

We'll be happy to have you at the Rock. Please report to Interrogator Stobz in cell 42 once your gene-implants have been implanted, neophyte.

Regards, 

Knight-Master Skywrath

It’s definitely an option. Am going to paint up a DA and see if I like the colour scheme. I’ve painted a BT and a BA.

I have some experience painting yellow. I have a 7th legion heresy army and there are quite a lot of yellow bits on my Astorum titans for AT.

Yellow is hard but it has got easier lately. I find that Wraithbone, either as a spray or painted by hand, is an excellent basecoat for yellow. For a really bright colour you can paint Yriel yellow straight on top of Wraithbone. Shade with Reikland flesh shade and highlight with flash gitz and Dorn yellow.

As others have said, yellow just looks good. If you stick a bunch of yellow marines on the board they'll stand out really well and impress people.

Right now I'm playing Crimson Fists. I like them a lot for all sorts of reasons. They're better painted than my 7th Legion, but it's much harder to see what I've done. I'd definitely recommend avoiding a dark scheme if you're a good paitner, because too often they just disappear. But an average painter can make Imperial Fists look outstanding.

I have some experience painting yellow. I have a 7th legion heresy army and there are quite a lot of yellow bits on my Astorum titans for AT.

Yellow is hard but it has got easier lately. I find that Wraithbone, either as a spray or painted by hand, is an excellent basecoat for yellow. For a really bright colour you can paint Yriel yellow straight on top of Wraithbone. Shade with Reikland flesh shade and highlight with flash gitz and Dorn yellow.

As others have said, yellow just looks good. If you stick a bunch of yellow marines on the board they'll stand out really well and impress people.

Right now I'm playing Crimson Fists. I like them a lot for all sorts of reasons. They're better painted than my 7th Legion, but it's much harder to see what I've done. I'd definitely recommend avoiding a dark scheme if you're a good paitner, because too often they just disappear. But an average painter can make Imperial Fists look outstanding.

I was put off the yellow a bit. But I’ve got some wraithbone around here. I’ll use it and see how it turns out. When u say shade do u mean all over the model or just the edges?