Magnetizing Wraith Guard/Blades

logan_grimnar18

I mean, its a nice idea, and the project will keep you busy.

But actually handling fully magnetized models is just so annoying. Always accidentally pulling bits off when moving around, or if a model falls on another, the bits all fall off and create a little bundle of arms and such.

Its easy to say, "well I'll just hold it by the head or back spines". But every now and again, in the moment you forget.

What I think is the best option, is to cut off the ends of the guns, and magnetize just the nuzzle/end. So you can effectively just use 1 gun body, and magnetize the axe or sword as an almost bayonet style for sword or axe, and of course just put the gun ends on for scythe or cannon.

The benefits this way,

° you have all 4 possible load outs with very little work

° tons of saved modeling time

°less prep time before playing

° no hassle when moving them around in game and out.

Drawbacks are the

° poses, you'll only be stuck with gun type poses

° it neglects the sword load out as you can really only have 1 beyonet

You can even do it in reverse. Not my models in link, but its exactly the same concept, just the main body is a combat weapon, and you can just interchange the "head" of the weapon with a blade or gun barrel

https://www.google.com/search?q=wraithguard+blade+combo&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjfttn4tI7qAhUQ0YUKHfSMBSkQ2-cCegQIABAC&oq=wraithguard+blade+combo&gs_lcp=ChJtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1pbWcQAzoCCCk6AggAOgYIABAIEB46BAgAEBhQiAZYoitgritoAXAAeACAAWCIAY0KkgECMTaYAQCgAQE&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-img&ei=NffsXp_IB5CilwT0mZbIAg&bih=560&biw=360&client=ms-unknown&prmd=isvn&hl=en#imgrc=PqeALLXDhR-PVM

Edited by Captain Coolpants

• 10 months later...

Sorry... reviving an old thread but since I'm nearing completion on having done it, thought I'd share a couple of photos. 

I went whole hog and magnetised 15 wraithguard with all 4 loadouts. 

That's 12 magnets installed for each dude, or 180 magnets in total. 

I cannot say I would endorse this particular insanity, but I now have a rather ridiculous box of options. 

Shoulders are 2x2mm cylinders (as strong as possible), and there are 2x 1x1mm end on end in the left 'ranged weapon' arm wrist and the hand on the dcannon/scythe.

The current punishment is I am still painting the options after 4 months. The axe loadout has been airbrushed purple but needs detailing, although the rest of the options are now done. 

4317C012 78D3 404C 9086 3A1D26DBE35F

9879DBA7 6E42 496B AFA9 135DFE4AE4BA

C3203E02 4603 4154 90FC 2668F4B10592

A7EF290A 588F 4340 836F 5BA45DA57251

Edited by Ekfud