New edition and us

If we take a battle sanctum, the cost of the Fortification detachment that includes that sanctum is returned. Interesting in a high point game where there's room to experiment with unconventional choices. Because the fortification has to share the faction of the warlord, I think battle sanctum is the only fortification we can use though, which diminishes the value of the free detachment.

We also don't have access to the Supreme Command Detachment- I'm hoping that changes this addition. I don't even know what a supreme commander would be for us- an Abbess?  

If we take a battle sanctum, the cost of the Fortification detachment that includes that sanctum is returned. Interesting in a high point game where there's room to experiment with unconventional choices. Because the fortification has to share the faction of the warlord, I think battle sanctum is the only fortification we can use though, which diminishes the value of the free detachment.

We also don't have access to the Supreme Command Detachment- I'm hoping that changes this addition. I don't even know what a supreme commander would be for us- an Abbess?  

At the moment, Guilliman as long as you're willing to give up Sacred Rites.

I think there's more here. The datasheet for the Battle Sanctum describes it as a terrain feature. Terrain features gain traits now, including LoS blocking. That might be king - on demand LoS blocking defensible terrain for 50 points alongside its normal benefits. 

Something else I noticed that I really didn't like, but I'll get over it...x2 strength melee weapons now apply before +/- strength modifiers:

"Example: A Space Marine Sergeant (Strength characteristic 4) is making an attack with a power fist (Strength characteristic x2) while under the effects of a psychic power that increases his Strength characteristic by 1. The two modifiers (x2 and +1) are cumulative and applied concurrently. The attack is therefore resolved at Strength 9 ([4x2]+1=9)."

So a Sister Repentia (Strength characteristic 3) making an attack with a penitent eviscerator (Strength characteristic x2) while under the effects of the Tale of the Warrior from a nearby Imagifier (+1 Strength) will now resolve the attack at Strength 7 ([3x2]+1=7). That hurts Bloody Rose Repentia against armour. 

It would only stink if the rule did not apply to everyone.

The big question here is will Repentia or the Imagifier escape getting too much of of a points hike because they collectively dont hit as hard in the new edition?

Then again do they have to? Remember Repentia work well enough at their base S6 for their cost and the Imagifier has a role beyond just buffing repentia (or so I'm told).

There was something about unaligned units not breaking faction.  Which should mean that you can take your faction specific terrain and some unaligned terrain together and get the command bonus.  But if you were to soup Sisters with Imperial Knights and take both faction terrain pieces you would not get the command bonus.

Cool feedback- the Sanctum, being official GW scenery will have assigned terrain traits in the day one FAQ; I hadn't thought of that. I think it will be defined as "Obscuring area terrain that provides light cover."

As for Repentia, I think that being able to enter on a flank might be cool for them, but I have to experiment to see if it works in practice.

For what it's worth, I don't except many factions to get a Supreme Commander. I think Ghazghkull, Abaddon, and the Silent King will get the key word, and that'll be it for awhile.

Cool feedback- the Sanctum, being official GW scenery will have assigned terrain traits in the day one FAQ; I hadn't thought of that. I think it will be defined as "Obscuring area terrain that provides light cover."

As for Repentia, I think that being able to enter on a flank might be cool for them, but I have to experiment to see if it works in practice.

Well just off the top if you are holding Repentia in Reserves you could hold them back for a counter charge unit in your own deployment zone.  Might wreck some stuff going after your Exorcists.  And you could get them in position that you opponent doesn't even have the option for overwatch.

And if you are holding them for that possibility, then they could also be used to smite something equivalent in your opponent's deployment zone late game.  I haven't seen anything that prohibits reserves on turn 5, and if you are going second your opponent won't have the opportunity to respond to their appearance other than overwatch.  Could be really effective if you have a couple of high MD for a multi-charge.

You should bring a Repentia Superior and a Priest with them, because they make them so much better and why not.  Doing that now gives you line breaker.  The 2 characters will give you half of your line breaker points.  If even 1 repentia survives the turn you now have 3 points.  And it shouldn't be that hard to get one more unit from the rest of your army across the board for the 4th point.

Looking at all the leaked info on wargear points on the Rumors forum as long as our basic model costs don't go up more than the Tactical Marine's did I think we should come out pretty well, at least as far as points go. Won't know until we know the points for our faction specific vehicles.

Apparently Tabletop Tactics (on their subscription steam) played 9th edition points sisters against Genestealer cults. I cannot confirm the accuracy of the following so take with salt :

HQs/Characters - Celestine & 2 Gemini, Canoness with condemnor, 2 Repentia Superior

Troops - 30 bolter sisters in three squads of 10, each with simulacrum imperialis

Elites - 10 arcos, two squads of 5 repentia

Fast - 5 seraphim, superior with plasma pistol and power sword

Transport - 2 immolators with flamer and hunter killers

Heavy - Two regular exorcists, one conflagration exorcist, all with hunter killers

Said to be a 1997pt list, up around 300pts on 8th edition (not checked). It has been suggested that heavy bolters and storm bolters among others are going up.

We know that storm bolter go up by a point. HB go up 50% for vehicle. HB price for Infantry stays the same. That can be seen in the leaks from the SM points costs for ranged weapons. Melta went down to the price of plasma. Heavy melta is in a weird spot now, as it's more expensive than lascannons... For reasons.

But of course we don't know anything about the increases of sob specific stuff.

Edited by Maschinenpriester

We know that storm bolter go up by a point. HB go up 50% for vehicles only.

That's the sisters vehicles, walkers, and core infantry all getting hiked if it follows through. Hope this isn't going to be a case of the sisters taking blowback from oldmarine vs primaris 'balancing',

We know that storm bolter go up by a point. HB go up 50% for vehicles only.

That's the sisters vehicles, walkers, and core infantry all getting hiked if it follows through. Hope this isn't going to be a case of the sisters taking blowback from oldmarine vs primaris 'balancing',
That is ture. I think I expressed myself a Ina wrong way so what I wanted to say was misunderstood. I really hope the points don't go up too much. They said the increase would be 20% on average so 300 points feels like a lot over 2000 points. Edited by Maschinenpriester

My Sisters of Battle list was in a Brigade.  I think I can safely say that is over and done with.  Which is fine.  I'm a slow painter and Sisters were sort of on the back burner anyway.  Sadly I chose to bulk up my Chaos forces pre-COVID.  Somewhat regretting that decision but whatever.

The change to S modifying which in my opinion is good, because it's you know math.  Bloody Rose is still my go to I think.  I can still get the +1 to Wound stratagem.

The big unknown is points.  Going from a current 2000 point game to a 1600 point game is such a huge change.

I have currently have put my sister's on hold. I have roughly 1300 points painted. But I want to see some leaks/ finished points first so I can see where the journey is going, before I decide how I flesh out my army.

That melta got cheaper is definitely good.and it makes me hope that things are going to be more balanced in the end. But I am very eager to see the full picture.

Edited by Maschinenpriester

Hopefully the Basic Sister will not get more than a 2 point  price increase.

The average increase is 15-20 percent.  From the Space Marine point leak it came about a bit more like could be expected.  Some units got a decrease, stayed the same, a small increase and some spammed units (Thunderfire cannon) got like a 50% increase.

From the Space Marine leak we already have an idea of what Sisters will look like.  Assuming it's accurate mind you.

Boltgun did change

Stormbolter up 1

Combi-Weapons all cost the same (1 more point than a battle sister)

Meltgun went down

Multimelta's went down

Flamer went down

Space Marines did go up to 15ppm so 25% increase

Sisters are 9ppm if im not mistaken.  So I could see Sisters going up to 10ppm.  I think 11 would be a bit too much.  However, I think in a fair few cases we will find certain things having gotten cheaper in the weapons arena.

I heard for Space Marines from 8th to 9th you are dropping one squad or so.

I think Sister's being cheaper overall will expect to cut 1.5 to 2 squads worth of points.

Hopefully the Basic Sister will not get more than a 2 point  price increase.

The average increase is 15-20 percent.

[...]

I think Sister's being cheaper overall will expect to cut 1.5 to 2 squads worth of points.

Frankly, I don't see the basic Sister get a 33% increase. 2pts maybe, but compared to how little Marine units have been dialled up in cost, even that seems excessive.

(Well, there ARE Tactical Marines. Who make the bulk of my collection btw. So if they want to phase out Sisters, it's 4 points per model easily.)

Where I see the potential for immense point hikes is Imagifiers, Hospitallers and Exorcists.

Exorcists are gonna get more expensive because vehicles are oh-so-good in 9th (nevermind that Exorcists can't use their organ in melee) and the others are key models so I can easily see +15% there.

That's the realist in me, mind you. The optimist says GW promised more balance so Sisters points will stay exactly what they are now while C:SM goes up.

Apparently Tabletop Tactics (on their subscription steam) played 9th edition points sisters against Genestealer cults. I cannot confirm the accuracy of the following so take with salt :

HQs/Characters - Celestine & 2 Gemini, Canoness with condemnor, 2 Repentia Superior

Troops - 30 bolter sisters in three squads of 10, each with simulacrum imperialis

Elites - 10 arcos, two squads of 5 repentia

Fast - 5 seraphim, superior with plasma pistol and power sword

Transport - 2 immolators with flamer and hunter killers

Heavy - Two regular exorcists, one conflagration exorcist, all with hunter killers

Said to be a 1997pt list, up around 300pts on 8th edition (not checked). It has been suggested that heavy bolters and storm bolters among others are going up.

There was also another Cannoness in there with Beneficience or however you spell it (Beard ran Bloody Rose), she wrecked face! The report really highlights how GSC are in need of some rules tweaks, they were not faring well. On the other hand Bloody Rose seemed to do very well.

I believe they said they had 17 pieces of terrain on the new reduced minimum size board and it did have a decent effect on the game.

Edited by G8Keeper