New edition and us

I tried out multi melta Immolators when 9th hit and there no longer was a penalty for vehicles moving and shooting heavy weapons. They worked out fairly well.

Now they'll be even better :biggrin.:

Multimelta Retributors are going to be seriously dangerous, and seriously reliable. Combined with storm of retribution and you're guaranteed 4 damage for each melta shot that gets through at 18", and you can get 12 MM shots off from one squad with the cherubs?! That's before you throw in a miracle dice on one of those rolls. Still thinking whether trying to get Holy Trinity in range with the new flamers might be worth it too, the Heavy Flamer is 16" on rets after all, or just putting 5/10 points in to a flamer weapon on the superior on the off chance you might be able to use it.

Now if only that stratagem was worth it for heavy bolters.

The data analysis I'm working on for Holy Trinity. It's still really early (as in I'm maybe 15% of the way done), but results aren't looking good for the stratagem for Battle Sister and Celestians Squads.

Also, I'd argue Holy Trinity is better for heavy bolters than heavy flamers now that HB are D2. Vs MEQ, a heavy bolter has a mean damage of 1.67 with HT vs 1.47 for a heavy flamer. Vs a Rhino, that same HB deals 1 (really 2) damage on average while the heavy flamer averages 0.875

Edited by taikishi

The problem with Holy Trinity for HBs, imo, is that as bolt weapons you'll need a weird squad composition and they'll lose their range advatage.

It also seems to be more effective just using a blessed bolts dominion squad.

Retributors are just the absolute glow-up of 9th ed. Especially in an Immolator.

Units of 6 (or 5 with a supporting character) and easily disembark and just unleash true hell. Immolator also gets access to all of the same weapons for synergy.

Holy Trinity is an easy get on all the Melta/ Flamer squads if you give the Superior a Combi - and I don't think you'd really need it on the Bolter ones (though smashing light vehicles with a 4+ to wound would be nice, and it gives a 3+ to wound agains't Gravis) - worth sticking a different weapon in the squad for maybe.

16" Heavy Flamers could even be a blast to use holding a midfield objective.

Storm of Retribution is also vastly more powerful with the new weapon stats!

I didn't use Holy Trinity in every game but I always had squads which could take advantage of it if the situation arose. That's what it is to me, situational, not something on which to base one's strategy. That being said I have used it quite successfully in those situations, especially if whatever I was shooting at was T8 or less. Now with the range upgrade to flamers I will continue to do as I have before and expect to be able to employ it a little more often.

So far in 9th I have used my Sisters 3 times. I have tried the multi-melta Immolator and it was ok, but now with the weapon profile changes I think they will be good. I'll find out tonight, I have a 1,750 game and I am taking two. :)

I've seen that GSC are playing with a lot of transports and objs sec and I think Sisters can absolutely play this game too. Our transport is so so good now!

I think even the HB version is £££, offering 9 powerful shots that can tear through even Primaris now.

Totally unexpected game result.

Granted there were several factors in my favor: he was playing a new (to him) chapter of Space Marines (only his second game with them), I got first turn, his dice the first two turns were terrible and mine were good.

That said I had a 45 to 5 victory and tabled him turn 4. I lost 2 Sister models and an Immolator. (Celestine died but she got back up and the Tubthumper theme played again)

I keep going back over the game  trying to see if we did something wrong but I can't for the life of me see where we might have.

Several items which played a role:

-I clung to terrain and he swept right at me with a melee heavy force. I think I was just able to gun down his models before their charges had much impact.

-I got to kill his squad of primaris with their new super melta guns and a Dreadnought with (I think() 16 wounds turn 1 which wet a good way toward keeping my units alive.

-My two multi melta Immolators and two squads of heavy bolter Retributors were popping Primaris Marines like popcorn.

-His Invictor Tactical Warsuit died from an Immolator's Overwatch (It was down to 7 wounds and I run Sacred Rose :smile.: )

So in large part the Emperor favored me tonight, but still the changes to both Heavy Bolters and Multi Meltas are really, really worth taking advantage of.

Edited by Montford

Totally unexpected game result.

Granted there were several factors in my favor: he was playing a new (to him) chapter of Space Marines (only his second game with them), I got first turn, his dice the first two turns were terrible and mine were good.

That said I had a 45 to 5 victory and tabled him turn 4. I lost 2 Sister models and an Immolator. (Celestine died but she got back up and the Tubthumper theme played again)

I keep going back over the game trying to see if we did something wrong but I can't for the life of me see where we might have.

Several items which played a role:

-I clung to terrain and he swept right at me with a melee heavy force. I think I was just able to gun down his models before their charges had much impact.

-I got to kill his squad of primaris with their new super melta guns and a Dreadnought with (I think() 16 wounds turn 1 which wet a good way toward keeping my units alive.

-My two multi melta Immolators and two squads of heavy bolter Retributors were popping Primaris Marines like popcorn.

-His Invictor Tactical Warsuit died from an Immolator's Overwatch (It was down to 7 wounds and I run Sacred Rose :smile.: )

So in large part the Emperor favored me tonight, but still the changes to both Heavy Bolters and Multi Meltas are really, really worth taking advantage of.

Thanks for the insight! Do you have a list kicking around somewhere?

OK here is the list I took. Its converted (incompletely) from a pre-8th edition format, so all the section headers are not correct.

But it works for me :smile.:

Any errors are mine.

Edited by Montford

I have a question on our vehicles that have the "Smoke Launchers" option-

we still have to use that 8th edition rule as it comes to our vehicles right? In other words we can't assume that it's going to be changed to the "smokescreen" keyword the way it is for Marines, right? (with the corresponding stratagem).

we still have to use that 8th edition rule as it comes to our vehicles right? In other words we can't assume that it's going to be changed to the "smokescreen" keyword the way it is for Marines, right? (with the corresponding stratagem).

We can assume that it's going to be changed, but until they issue the next AS codex or an FAQ, we're using the rule as it is currently written.

We can assume that it's going to be changed, but until they issue the next AS codex or an FAQ, we're using the rule as it is currently written.

Agreed. Also the Canoness aura hasn't yet been changed so it still affects all <Order> Units.

• 3 weeks later...

This is such an active community (Bolter & Chainsword) that I forget how unusual it still is to take a Sister's army seriously: many of he rule references on Battlescribe for Sister's units still cite Index Imperium 2. :teehee:

• 2 weeks later...

A few notes from my games:

- MM Immolators are nice.  I've been putting a small squad of battle sisters in it to ferry to the middle-ish of the board and perform actions/move to objectives as the games demands while taking advantage of those +2 shots for the tank and +2 damage for closing into half range for my effort.  Normally, it has been taking on enemy armor or threatening characters who like to lead from the front.

- HF Rets have been nice.  A squad of them with a Combi-melta Superior riding in an Immolator (been using the Immolation Flamer version for them) can run up the field and toss out a lot of wounds especially with Storm of Retribution OR Holy Trinity depending on the circumstances.  Have been really good at peeling back swarms and screens with this.  Having 16" range is also particularly nasty as they can disembark while their ride moves forward afterwards, providing a bit of a shield and potentially a vehicle to charge in to tie up big volume units (like 20x Necron Warrior squads...).

- I've been running 4 Flamer Dominions with 10 total Doms and a combi-melta on the Superior.  This squad hasn't been AMAZING, but can maneuver up the middle of the table quickly, and with the extra range of the flamers... frequently can deliver its payload on turn 1, or duck behind cover if you lose turn 1 with their pre-game move.  If you get into a juicy target, it has the option to Holy Trinity and dump a gross amount of saves on something.  Really handy for low invul units like Harlequins where the AP is completely waste and you're just looking at forcing maximum saving attempts.

- Repentia are just gross :)  I've yet to play a game where they haven't been instrumental in determining the outcome.  Toss a big squad in a Rhino and either advance out of it turn 1 on a smaller table, or set up for a good turn 2 charge while your opponent is forced to focus fire into a Rhino to get to the gooey insides.  I'm still working on what support they actually need, because they've been so good at what they do, the Superior and/or Priest nearby sometimes just turns into overkill... and there's only so many seats in the bad girl bus :)

My group typically plays Crusade, so the results are pretty skewed to that sort of play, no guarantees that it'll be the same in matched play or serious competitiveness.  But I've played a lot of hard games, and most of them I've had the advantage or lost due to a brain-dead play (like leaving HF Rets in their box the WHOLE game...).  And, more importantly, the army isn't so oppressive that people don't enjoy seeing the Sororitas on the table, unlike some factions :)

My hope is that the core restriction was just for balancing certain factions that abuse auras like marines. It barely happened in the Necron codex I think aside from a few units, though correct if I'm wrong. Maybe most other factions will get passively buffed because of that nerf to marines.

Regardless just happy she's a Lieutenant equivalent.

I pray that the 9th ed codex is a long way down the road.  Traditionally, the Sisters of Battle Codex is released just before the new edition of the game, and I'd like to play this version for a few years yet. :)

I pray that the 9th ed codex is a long way down the road.  Traditionally, the Sisters of Battle Codex is released just before the new edition of the game, and I'd like to play this version for a few years yet. :smile.:

I'm dying for the bespoke Crusade content though. My hope is that the new dex is very much like this one, just with a few new units (a freakin' Aircraft would be nice) and Crusade content.