Excellent work on the Death Company Marines.

Thanks Bjorn!

Masters of the Chapter done...at least the 4 from the pewter boxset from awhile back:

1YcT9p7.jpg
pzJ08C0.jpg
ByqjzyD.jpg
yxi5wvs.jpg

Even though these models are quite old now, the sculpts still hold up very well and I had a lot of fun painting up these guys. Still need to to the other 4 masters of the chapter that came out after these which are in finecast...

Hey look who re-surfaced while I was gone. Welcome back eggroll, the scale of your collection is an achievement in its own right, that it's all so well painted is astonishing. There's a real kick to seeing some of these older models with good, modern paintjobs.

Wow! Love this clean paintjob on these classic models..

Thanks Timotheus!

Hey look who re-surfaced while I was gone. Welcome back eggroll, the scale of your collection is an achievement in its own right, that it's all so well painted is astonishing. There's a real kick to seeing some of these older models with good, modern paintjobs.

Ha thanks Sockwithaticket! I do plan on getting the whole collection out for a full on photo shoot soon. Will probably take me a weekend to do but should be lots of fun. Most of my paint jobs recently have been of the older GW SM range and brings back a lot of nostalgia though I have to say the metal is a b!tch to work with!

They do have a nice bit of character compared to the plastic kits though. I never got any of those guys - no jump packs so i wasn't too interested - but your paint jobs on the  first and third captains (Master of Recruits and Master of the Armoury if i recall?) make me regret that...

They do have a nice bit of character compared to the plastic kits though. I never got any of those guys - no jump packs so i wasn't too interested - but your paint jobs on the  first and third captains (Master of Recruits and Master of the Armoury if i recall?) make me regret that...

Thanks though I’m sure you can still find these guys floating around on eBay. GW did put out one master of the chapter with a jump pack though...believe he’s still for sale these days on the website.

Next up is a 5 man squad of standard scouts all with respirator helms...definitely good for these times!

Where did you get these helmets, may I ask?

Sure you can! I actually got them built from a friend as he has a thing for respirators for some reason but I believe he bought them from bits sites and they come from the space marine scout on bike kit. 

Blown away by the quality on display here. Those masters of the chapter models are awesome. I need more!

Thanks viewasjack! Since you asked...

Had these two squads kicking around for a loooong time and though it was finally time I got around to painting them. These are the old (metal as usual) Mk1 and Mk2 Space Marine veteran squads...

NGRIHFO.jpg

OQocpqg.jpg

Had a blast painting these guys and the move to 32mm bases makes them look all the more balanced. 

Great to see you back after all of these years, eggroll! I'd forgotten how large and gorgeous your collection was, and I'm glad you're continuing to add to it. :tu: I look forward to seeing more updates in the future!

Wow! Absolutely fantastic paint-job!

You've managed to bring out so much life from those old sculpts. Apothecaries are simply beautiful. The faces you produce get miles of extra character and personalities.

Can't draw my eyes from those :smile.:

Edited by Majkhel

Those look stunning!

I love these old metal minis.

Especially great work on these power weapons!

If I may ask- how long did it take you to finish these squads?

Thanks Valkia! Sure...I think I average about 5 hours a model so 50 hours (give or take a few) in total for the 10 guys?

Great to see you back after all of these years, eggroll! I'd forgotten how large and gorgeous your collection was, and I'm glad you're continuing to add to it. :thumbsup: I look forward to seeing more updates in the future!

Thanks Dosjetka! I forget how large my collection is sometimes as well since it's almost all boxed up in storage most of the time :D. I'll find out how many I have now once I get them all out for the next army showcase. 

Wow! Absolutely fantastic paint-job!

You've managed to bring out so much life from those old sculpts. Apothecaries are simply beautiful. The faces you produce get miles of extra character and personalities.

Can't draw my eyes from those :smile.:

Thanks Majkhel! 

Excellent work on a classic model.

Thanks Bjorn!

Great painting! Love how the character is brought out by the fantastic paint job in these. 

Thanks BadgersinHills!

Another quick update. Been moving the past month to an apartment and first time in years since I've been able to get my own dedicated hobby room/office so I'll be setting up a new display case and getting everything back out of storage boxes/cases. Have the detolfs from years ago but been eyeing the Milsbo from Ikea or thinking about going the commercial display case route as well. 

Until then, here are two more bikers that were finished recently:

2ckWSHO.jpg
B2UjURK.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I do want to share my current display case setup now that it's somewhat complete. Over the past two months I've been getting setup and moved into my new apartment and I ended up selling the two detolf cases I had years ago that were in storage. I looked around a few retail display case shops for suitable options but because of costs and the hassle of delivery (some required a commercial loading dock and freight delivery) I decided on going back to Ikea to buy the display case.

I ended up picking up the Ikea Milsbo in Anthracite (https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/milsbo-glass-door-cabinet-anthracite-30396448/) for a pretty decent price of $229 CAD - and best of all the packages fit in the back of my car without any issues. I really like the legs which elevate the case off the floor and the locking feature. Also useful is that the shelves can be set a different heights of the case as they rest of these adjustable pegs which are screwed into the sides of the frame.

Some cons are that the frame in the middle is a bit wider than I like which obstructs the view a bit and the legs of the case flares out meaning you can't put two of these side by side to have the edges be flush against each other.  Also I do wish you had to option of buying additional shelves from Ikea as I found out later the 4 shelves do not provide enough room for my entire collection of painted models. The way the glass shelves are designed make it harder to get glassier shops to custom cut them as the corners are chamfered so they can rest on the pegs. 

Anyhow, after a evening of assembling I was left with this:

dU7kwhb.jpg

Not too shabby...the next day I pulled out my models from storage for test fitting:

Lo3vlNi.jpg

This is when I realized I had much more in my collection than I remembered :biggrin.:

ZsH0ivu.jpg

This all just meant I had to be more selective with my model choice for showcasing...

Case Mods

What's a good hobby post without modding advice? :smile.: There were two problems with the Milsbo I wanted to tackle:

1. Dust Sealing: After assembly I discovered the case has some large gaps around the door frame. This is an known issue with the detolfs as well and over time, dust can get into the case if sealing mods are not done. I wanted to make sure this new Milsbo case was well sealed to reduce the amount of cleaning I would need to do. To do this I use the same solution many Detolf owners use which is adhesive weather stripping. I ended up two types: 

- 3/8" wide and 1/8" thick for the door sides and middle gap (the sides need a bit more room for the doors to open close and the gap between the two front doors were small enough that the 1/8" seal was perfect

- 3/8" wide and 5/16" thick for the top and bottoms of the doors (this gap was a bit bigger and the thicker foam ensures a tight seal)

The sealing was applied to the back and sides of the front doors so it's pretty much invisible to the viewer with the doors closed. They can be seen in the later pictures showing the side LED lighting. 

2. Internal Lighting: I also wanted to do some custom lighting to brighten things up in the evenings. I know Ikea sells some ready made ones but I felt none of them would be suitable for the case and I wanted a more bespoke solution. I ended up picking up the following parts from Amazon:

- Lepro LED Strip Lights (16.4 ft 3000k-6000k tunable white) SMD 2835. Looking back these are a waste as I'll be replacing them with some SMD 3014 204leds/m. The colour temp adjustment is not necessary as I found I didn't need the adjustment and most of it is not that noticeable after it's placed behind the aluminum railing with diffuser. These LEDs also require 3 wires (instead of 2) which makes soldering them more of a chore. 

- LED Aluminum Channel with Cover. These worked great with the LED strip lights as the cover diffuses the light evenly into the case and the width of the channels are perfectly sized to place in the front corners of the case. I ended up cutting the channels to size (hobby hacksaw FTW!) for each of the shelf heights and then securing them to the inside using 3M velcro tape. Each section was soldered to each other with a break in the top corners where I used hot swap sockets for a temporary connection. The 3M velcro allows the side lights to be securely attached while easily detached for maintenance or readjustment while the top LED channels were secured using magnets (the top panel of the case is steel while the sides are aluminum - otherwise I would have used magnets all around). 

Pic showing the connection for the side/top corner and the foam weather seal on the inside of the door (note the taped magnet for the loose wires so it doesn't hang down :smile.:):

PFNyiJ6.jpg

Pic showing the side LED channels:

Bl4vLjl.jpg

Also not pictured is the LEDs are wired to a smart plug which is scheduled for a timer to turn on/off in the evenings/midnight and allows me to manually control it via google home. 

And the fully sealed, lit and filled case:

HkICSm4.jpg

Jtkg24v.jpg

I managed to cram most of my models in there but lot of my older tanks and troops didn't make it. Here's a quick pic of the troop rejects pile:

2zJmIHW.jpg

(these guys are all magnetized and stored in these plastic storage boxes with tin sheets glued to the bottom which is a much more space efficient way of storing troops!). 

Still to do for the case mods are to replace the current LEDs with the currently in transit SMD 3014 LED strips, resolder everything using black wires (which will blend in better) and put in the end caps onto the LED channels.