Excellent work on the Thunderfire cannon and its Techmarine gunner.

Thanks Bjorn!

Thundercannon looks great and the Titan lookalike it's coming along great too!

Thanks! Ha I realized what I typed might have been misread as 3D titan but it's actually the forgeworld mars warhound...it's my 3rd titan (1st was a lucius warhound and 2nd a reaver) :) 

Made some further progress on the Warhound. Main colours are in along with the majority of the metallics. 

mMQFAJW.jpg

Next step is shading of the metallics with airbrush and inks.

Also these turned up today from Amazon:

d6Wxoio.jpg

Ended up getting the Elegoo Mars 2 Mono, the Mercury Plus Wash & Cure and 500g of washable red resin and 500g of normal resin. Will be spending the weekend setting this up and doing some test prints! 

Edited by eggroll

So I had some time this Saturday to unpack the Mars 2 and run a test print. Here are the two machines: Mars 2 and Mercury Plus...

eEDhWP8.jpg

The most common first test print is a rook model that comes on the USB drive but I decided against that. Instead, I went full Blood Angel theme with my first print featuring a proxy for Dante (I think the author of the model made him a Primaris. Of course this model was printed in Clear Red resin. My first print came out fantastic but realized that since I haven't done any Primaris marines, this wouldn't work as well...I'm not done with my first born models yet. So then I decided to get the model back into Chitubox (3d modeling slicer software for resin printing) and scale down the model to 85% of the original. This resulted in a nicely sized first born Dante that is much more dynamic than the original pewter version. 

Here's a picture of the print with black primer:

dINiUX3.jpg

If you look closely, you'll see some layer lines, especially around the axe and leg armour. This print was done at 0.025mm layer height with no anti-aliasing. Might need to play around to see if I'm able to reduce these lines so the prints are smoother. I'm also using the default file with supports so I think I can make things print a bit better by tweaking the print orientation. 

Anyway, here's a shot of the model with a quick airbrush of metallic golds next to the primaris sized version that's still in clear red resin:

BBo2TRt.jpg

Closeup of the amazing model details and what the printer was able to capture:

hSLf6PG.jpg

Overall I'm quite impressed with the print quality - don't think it'll be a suitable 1 to 1 replacement of current GW plastics but it's almost there! The Mars 2 is still a 2k printer so the newer 4k printer from Anycubic (Anycubic 4k Mini) might be better suited for minis. Anyhow, I've found many other models online such as the thunderfire cannon that I'll be queueing up to print later and comparing against my GW finecast version  :biggrin.:

Rad

Thanks!

Super intrested in watching this, as I've been eyeing getting that same printer

If you're on the fence about getting it I would definitely suggest you go for it. I don't see any 4k mono screen printers coming out anytime soon that would hit this price range and I think this is a good starting point to learn the ins-and-outs of SLA printing. Once 4k mono printers have come down in price you'll be all set to take advantage of them. These things definitely have a learning curve that's different from the FDM printers (used to have an Ender 3) and the results are worth the effort. 

With the resin 3d printer I've been exploring some other customization possibilities and one that I always wanted to try out was themed base nameplates. I know there are a few online companies/etsy shops that will do something like this with print to order but now that I have my own printer, I wanted to make my own. Dusted off my 3d modeling skills tonight and after a few hours I came up with the following:

kYCtJqv.png

Still need to do some tweaking and haven't decided on what to do with the iconography yet...planning on 3 blood drops for HQs, 2 for Elites and maybe 1 for Sergeants. Quite happy with how the side wings came out. 

Made most of the model using standard blender modifiers so I'll be able to quickly swap out the text and update it for all my BA army characters. For named characters I might swap that out for the GW skull icons. Above picture is on a 40mm base so I'll need to still tweak it to fit on 32mm and 25mm sizes. Can't wait to do a test print of this! 

Had the chance to finally do a quick print for my original HQs which are still on 25mm bases. After the print and process, did a quick gold paintjob and drybrush and here is the result:

fMQp3G2.jpg

Also some progress on the warhound with first stages of metallic shading done:

Vx3pYEb.jpg

Your army is awesome man nice work! I really love the glow effect of the headlights on the bikes!

Thanks Kolgrim!

Quick update as I ended up printing out a bunch of 40mm name plates and add them to my old space hulk models and a few HQs:

f2U74P4.jpg
ZSKVx9j.jpg

Here's a quick shot of some of my HQs in the display case with the plates:
g7nv7TF.jpg

The name labels look really good. Particularly as you have kept the painting simple too so to not to pull too much focus away from the models themselves. Nice touch with the Gold vs Silver for the importance of the character names. Yet another thread that makes me want a 3D printer.

Oh and the Warhound looks ok.... :)  No, seriously impressive work here!

The name labels look really good. Particularly as you have kept the painting simple too so to not to pull too much focus away from the models themselves. Nice touch with the Gold vs Silver for the importance of the character names. Yet another thread that makes me want a 3D printer.

Oh and the Warhound looks ok.... :smile.:  No, seriously impressive work here!

Thanks lhg033! Glad you picked out the gold/silver colour scheme :)

Definitely recommend you pick up a 3d printer if you don't mind investing in the time/money. I find it adds so much more to the modeling side of the hobby with almost limitless bits/customization options when you get a good resin printer. Will be sure to post more prints as I do more to help convince you and others who might be on the fence! 

Everything is always so impressive you just keep putting out such great looking minis. If you don’t mind me asking what 3D printer do you have i have also been on the fence about getting one and your results are awesome

Thanks in advance

Skid

So let's start by acknowledging the elephant in the room: your Angels are the wrong colour. Shameful, but what's done is done.

That said, these are beautiful! It's a rarity that I actually like BA models - don't know why, just never been the biggest fan - but seeing these is a genuine pleasure!

Everything is always so impressive you just keep putting out such great looking minis. If you don’t mind me asking what 3D printer do you have i have also been on the fence about getting one and your results are awesome

Thanks in advance

Skid

Thanks Skid! Don't mind at all - I have an Elegoo Mars 2 - a very "budget friendly" SLA printer with a 2k mono screen. I did quite a bit of research before buying and found this was the best option in terms of features, functionality and value. The 2k screen is a good starting point for someone new to the 3d resin printing hobby and is sufficient for most minis. The mono screen is also "prints" faster than previous generation of LCD screens and if you pair that with the water washable resin now (traditional resin requires IPA for washing) it's actually very easy to print and process. The only thing is the Elegoo Mars 2 is green in colour and I've since returned that for a Mars 2 Pro (red in colour) but print quality wise both are identical and definitely recommended. Happy to answer any other questions you might have as well. 

Those name plaques are great! Fantastic addition :smile.:

Thanks Majkhel! I'm quite pleased with how they turned out as well and given me the confidence boost to 3d model more stuff and print them. 

The quality of your work is exceptional!

Thanks Spyros!

So let's start by acknowledging the elephant in the room: your Angels are the wrong colour. Shameful, but what's done is done.

That said, these are beautiful! It's a rarity that I actually like BA models - don't know why, just never been the biggest fan - but seeing these is a genuine pleasure!

Your army is awesome man nice work! I really love the glow effect of the headlights on the bikes!

Thanks Kolgrim!

Quick update as I ended up printing out a bunch of 40mm name plates and add them to my old space hulk models and a few HQs:

f2U74P4.jpg

ZSKVx9j.jpg

Here's a quick shot of some of my HQs in the display case with the plates:

g7nv7TF.jpg

That is some classy stuff! I can dream of having a display case with enough painted things to make it worth it!

Are you priming the names? Are you going to make names for all the other basic models? (like a whole armies worth of names...)

Hahaha love this comment! The DA bits and models have been great to kitbash with after I removed all the traitor iconography. ;) As a space marine collector I think any chapter is fair game - I think I even have some chaos bits I want to reuse. The DA robed bodies work great as veterans/honour guards and I have some kitbased terminators from the DA Deathwing boxset I need to paint up. Conversely, I think the BA specific models would work great in a DA army as well with their icons removed so definitely give it a shot!

Some of the BA bits are undoubtedly very nice, but I should really have given them more consideration before! Fortunately I'm still working on lore (DA successor, trying to make it all work), so I'm sure I can think of a reason to steal some wings

Hahaha love this comment! The DA bits and models have been great to kitbash with after I removed all the traitor iconography. :wink: As a space marine collector I think any chapter is fair game - I think I even have some chaos bits I want to reuse. The DA robed bodies work great as veterans/honour guards and I have some kitbased terminators from the DA Deathwing boxset I need to paint up. Conversely, I think the BA specific models would work great in a DA army as well with their icons removed so definitely give it a shot!

Some of the BA bits are undoubtedly very nice, but I should really have given them more consideration before! Fortunately I'm still working on lore (DA successor, trying to make it all work), so I'm sure I can think of a reason to steal some wings

Would you mind if I sent you a message about your 3D printing? I have a couple of questions, but don't want to derail!

Happy to talk take any messages about 3d printing. 

On that topic, an update on something different. I plan on doing an army showcase video soon...waiting on the warhound to be done before getting everything out and recording a video. I never liked the videos where the person talking behind the camera is pointing and waving their hands around and recall seeing a showcase video on YouTube where they used the disney magic wand with the pointing mickey mouse hand which I thought was hilarious and quite useful. Since I just got my own 3d printer, I set out to make my own "pointing stick" to use when I do my actual video - but appropriately themed...there won't be any mickey mouse hands for me!

I ended up taking a pointing power fist model on thingiverse (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4073902) and mirroring the fist in Blender, scaling it up and then modifying the mesh so that the end joint was recessed to fit a wooden dowel 9.5mm in diameter. 

wqwhZDj.png

Wanting to add some extra flourish to my pointing power fist, I took the pommel of another fancy power sword model (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3652865) and made the same type of end cap to fit on the other end of my stick:

lPySGNd.png

Into the printing software it went for slicing and 5.5 hours later after hitting print I had my parts! Was so excited with the actual results that I totally forgot to take pictures of the actual unpainted model but here is the end result after painting and decal work:

OnbNfmF.png

Edited by eggroll

Oh my god I love it. I have no intention of making one of these videos but I absolutely must have a pointy power fist stick!

Should also mention that it's exceptionally painted as usual...

Ha thanks. I've actually just posted my remix up on thingiverse here in case you (or anyone else) wants to print it: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4799772

Great quality of models in the thread aside, I adore the idea of such a pointy stick :biggrin.:

Thanks Sherrypie!