Heavy Flamers, Vehicles & 9th Ed.

Syward

So, with what we know about 9th edition and vehicle rules for shooting while in combat (aka engagement range) and the changes to overwatch, I started thinking about the usefulness of Heavy Flamers, specifically on Dreadnoughts. With the changes do we think that HF will become more useful now that we can have an auto-hit weapon (assuming that 9th retains auto hit for flamers/heavy flamers) that could be really, really useful on vehicles where ever we can take them.

Specifically on Redemptor Dreadnoughts. I've always seen that the 'daka' variant of the Redemptor is the best, and it's been my experience too, but with the upcoming changes, I wonder if a Heavy Flamer would be the better option now for the under-slung fist weapon option? Especially with the changes/limitations on over-watch horde/CC based opponents seems to be more likely or more potent. What are your thoughts given the information we do know? 

Specifically on Redemptor Dreadnoughts. I've always seen that the 'daka' variant of the Redemptor is the best, and it's been my experience too, but with the upcoming changes, I wonder if a Heavy Flamer would be the better option now for the under-slung fist weapon option? Especially with the changes/limitations on over-watch horde/CC based opponents seems to be more likely or more potent. What are your thoughts given the information we do know? 

6 Shots from an Onslaught Gatling Cannon even with -1 to hit (from shooting in melee) results in 3 hits on average which is .5 less than the Heavy Flamer.  The Gatling Cannon will also benefit from to-hit re-rolls, making it deal more damage on average than the flamer.

Combined with the Gatling Cannon's range advantage in all other shooting situations the Gatling Cannon is the clear winner.

I did play a game the other day involving a Baal Predator with Flamestorm Cannon and Heavy Flamer sponsons; I was surprised how strong it was in 8th edition, as the main way to tie up vehicles is to charge them and that weight of Overwatch is pretty overwhelming. The main cannon's S6, AP2 and 2 damage with D6 Assault shots make it quite strong, even with 8" range as it comes on a vehicle that can move 18-24" when advancing with Lucifer-Pattern Engines. The tank is relatively cheap now too. 

I think Dreadnoughts with flamers suffer from having few ways to get up the board quickly; certainly some variants have 8" moves and so on, but it might take 1 or even 2 turns before you're in range. I do think the Invictor Warsuit is a good option with the Incendium Cannon given its Concealed Positions rule.