The Something-Something marines

Hi all

So I used to collect GW stuff way back in the mid-90s (2nd edition? 3rd?) but then had a long long break until a couple of years ago when I bought myself a some new minis and have been (very) slowly painting some. I've always kept up with the fluff and the books in the meantime and wanted to design a custom chapter for a while.

Anyway, I've sort of started the process and been painting up some figures however the background of the chapter is still very vague - to such an extent I've not even decided on a name yet. I have ideas (so many ideas) but not found the right one.

I figure doing a WIP log on here, plus an eventual Liber entry, will help spur me along. Maybe.

I'm not the best painter, some of the others painting on this forum are simply stunning at it, but I'm happy enough with what I can do and am getting a little better at it each time. I'm not sure about the weathering (or rather the lack of it!) as I kind of like them to be "clean" and parade-ground ready even in the midst of a firefight - in fact I've made that a part of the chapter culture so that might be my excuse (and the fact I'm not sure I could do the weathering without mucking it up....)

So then, without further waffling, some pictures. I'm probably doing myself (esteem) no favours by how close in some of the pictures are, but that's what I've got at the moment - need to play with my camera some more.
The first mini I did when I restarted. He was going to be the company captain but now I think he'll be some form of honour guard as I have bigger plans for a captain.

gallery_166457_16463_93189.jpg

The second thing I did (though sort of alongside the 3rd) was a Land Raider Redeemer and a Sternguard Squad.

gallery_166457_16463_22138.jpg

I need a better picture of the Sternguard showing all the team but this'll do for the moment.

gallery_166457_16463_185932.jpg

I need to do some more pictures (and put up the ones I already have) but hopefully I'll be more inclined to do some painting now that things are actually posted.

Nice work, love the scheme and that land raider looks awesome, well done.

Definitely work on fleshing out your background, I always find with custom chapters that the background helps me choose which units fit and motivates me to paint them.

Keep up the good work, I look forward to seeing more of these guys.

Nice work, love the scheme and that land raider looks awesome, well done.

Definitely work on fleshing out your background, I always find with custom chapters that the background helps me choose which units fit and motivates me to paint them.

Keep up the good work, I look forward to seeing more of these guys.

Thanks very much, I think the landraider benefits from the camera being slightly further back - makes everything look a little bit smoother. I'm definitely going to start a Liber article - hopefully tomorrow. It'll be a but scrappy but I can get some of it down in writing.

Love the chapter symbol and bless your heart for choosing to paint white power armor as your color scheme. A lot of the newer paints and sprays make it a lot easier than it used to be ! Look forward to seeing more.

I'm not sure I'd choose to paint white power armour again! I've started now though so I'll finish... :biggrin.:

Fine works. Are the Marines from a Dark Angels successor, as the lion's head Chapter symbol seems to indicate?

I honestly hadn't thought about them but I'm not sure I want to write in the whole unforgiven space - I like the story when I read it but not so much to write it. Though now my brain is whirling with ideas....

Thanks all for your nice comments!

Double bravery points for both painting white and starting with characters & vehicles!

Like the colour scheme, although I think that your white could do with being a touch thinner - more coats, thinner paint!

It looks like there's more models hiding in the background though. Maybe give them a bit of limelight?

Double bravery points for both painting white and starting with characters & vehicles!

Like the colour scheme, although I think that your white could do with being a touch thinner - more coats, thinner paint!

It looks like there's more models hiding in the background though. Maybe give them a bit of limelight?

Thanks. For some reason, and I'm not sure I'd recommend it to others now I've done it this way round, doing a character then a vehicle seemed less daunting that going for a squad.

My white has gotten better on my most recent minis - I do need to thin and multi-layer though. I just have a mental hang up on that: more layers = more time and I'm already so slow.

Thanks. For some reason, and I'm not sure I'd recommend it to others now I've done it this way round, doing a character then a vehicle seemed less daunting that going for a squad.

My white has gotten better on my most recent minis - I do need to thin and multi-layer though. I just have a mental hang up on that: more layers = more time and I'm already so slow.

I've always tried to leave centrepiece models as long as I can, just so that when I get to them I'm more likely to be able to do them justice - wish I had your confidence!

I'm with you on speed though, I've always been quite slow too, in part because I'm far too messy! I think that it comes with practise though.

Maybe have a look for Darren Latham's yt vid on painting white - I've watched it a couple of times in prep for when I tackle my Apothecaries, and he makes it look both quick and easy.

Maybe have a look for Darren Latham's yt vid on painting white - I've watched it a couple of times in prep for when I tackle my Apothecaries, and he makes it look both quick and easy.

Thanks Pawl, I found the vid and also a couple of others that have different tones to their white. Lots of other Latham videos to watch as well.

Some more pictures. I wish I could say I've done these since the last post but sadly not, just some better pictures of the Sternguard squad.

The colour scheme is slightly inconsistent for these guys as I figured thier armour would be way more customised and unique after decades of service.

gallery_166457_16463_83843.jpg

And a back pic.

gallery_166457_16463_44358.jpg

My first tactical squad (half done at the moment, pictures to follow) is way closer to my idea of what a standard "something something" marine should look like.

Oh yeah, one other thing: as you can see, the chapter badge on thier left pauldron is a smaller, simpler version of the chapter symbol on the side of the land raider and the sergeant's banner. The company is indicated by the captains personal heraldry on the left knee, a yellow chevron on a blue background in this case (which you can't see very clearly on the pics thus far but you can see it on the bottom right quarter of the sergeant's heraldry shield).

A clearer pic of the squad who have the chapter symbol on thier pauldrons:

gallery_166457_16463_88953.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Bjorn - you're like a 1-man support group here! I post something up, you respond and give me a boost and then I want to post something else up. It's really appreciated.

You're someone who invests genuine effort in making your works good. Such effort deserves respect. A compliment is the least I can offer.

These are the first three members of the 2nd Lance - Tactical.

Though these guys are just regular tactical marines I want every marine to look ornate/unique with handed-down weapons and armour hence there's almost no "standard" look. The guy throwing the grenade is probably the closest thing to a standard marine thus far - in my head he's very recently been made a marine and the Sergeant of the 2nd Lance is given the newest, greenest recruits to get them up to speed. I've got a bunch of random helmets of different marks/styles so am trying to throw them into the mix occasionally plus different shoulder pads for the same effect. The tactical symbols are also attached bits to paint rather than trying to find decals in the right shade of red or, worse yet, free handing them.

There's three more of this group on the way plus a razorback as their dedicated transport.

Anyway, 2nd Lance from the front:

gallery_166457_16463_130316.jpg

And from the back:

gallery_166457_16463_127275.jpg

Edited by Graceless

Thanks Bjorn.

The gold helmeted guy is just the sergeant with a fancy helmet. What I've not decided in my mind is whether such decoration is from the armour awarded (eg you do something impressive and the chapter awards you with the helm of brother whatsit who did something impressive back in the day and is thus gold) or whether the decoration is added to plain armour when something is achieved (eg this sergeant did something impressive and was allowed to paint his otherwise plain-white helm gold). Either way, the gold and red details on the various marines' armour is indicative of feats and achievements. Maybe it's both, some decoration is from armour presented to them, other decoration is from details/embellishments they have added themselves.

As the SGT's helmet looks different from those he leads, best claim the helmet is archeotech, and given as a reward for an act of valor. In-game, let the golden helmet count as Special Issue Wargear, allowing the SGT to add +1 to his To Hit rolls in combat.

Hi all

A couple of questions today as I'm working out how to finish off my tactical squad.

First question: where and how have people attached the bit below? It's obviously some fancy missile options for my missile-launcher equipped marine but I was wondering how people have used it - eg on the leg/thigh or belt? Which side? I'm thinking should be on the marine's left leg so he'd be able to choose a "special" shot and load it without needing to put down his launcher (in his right hand). Does that make sense?

gallery_166457_16463_72939.jpg

Second question: This might sound a little dumb but... which shoulder does the pauldron below go on? Is the "higher" side (on the right of the pic) to allow it to not collide with the marine's powerpack or is it to allow the marine better visibility (ie is that the front or back of the pauldron)?

gallery_166457_16463_36275.jpg

Thanks!

Graceless

Edited by Graceless

• 3 weeks later...

I actually have some more pics to put up, but haven't done it yet...

What I have done, for no necessary reason, is mucked about with my phone creating a GIF of one of my marines similar(ish) to the GW rotating pic - though obviously not one you can choose how to rotate.

I'm not 100% sure this'll work here but it was fun to do anyway.

gallery_166457_16463_826445.gif

If I do another one I need to create a holder for my phone (I was just doing it by hand and resting my arm on the table top for this) and a couple of other tweaks to make it smoother.