New Rivals Novels post-Rift

Snidley Whiplash vs Dudley Do Right?

Is there an option where they both die? :tongue.:

Isn't that a Chaos victory since technically all of the Chaos Forces are expendable while the lost of a single Marine or Man can end the Imperium?

Doesn't help that Marduk can be revived and become a Daemon Prince

If we're talking some ideal book I'd really like to see the setting move away from the idea that Chaos has infinite resources, and this is coming from someone for whom Chaos is one of their favourite factions. Sure, Chaos cares less about their marines, but they're a much hotter commodity than loyalists. Chaos repeatedly ranting about it's limitless resources isn't interesting at all and means stories generally don't have meaningful stakes, the winner becomes whoever the author wants them to be. Give me daemon armies with vulnerable artifacts and individuals that can cripple their numbers. Give me Chaos marines struggling to fight effectively because they're running out of antique bolt-shells.

Daemon princedom doesn't necessarily need to be a positive for whomever they grant it to, either. Skraivok got 420^69 years of hell before whatever was wearing his skin re-entered the Materium. I'm generally referring to character death, "Marduk" can re-manifest if it likes, it won't be quite the same guy.

And my point about having actual stakes mostly applies to the BL habit of characters coming face-to-face on the battlefield, which I'd assume they'd use in most of the scenarios in the OP. If the author shows some restraint and keeps them on their ships I care less about both walking away from the confrontation. BL needs more ship focus anyway.

Chaos having unlimited resources is a much more interesting option than "Chaos has nothing, they're all useless raiders, they didn't get anything meaningful other than useless dinobots for using the Warp, and all their gear is now broken". Chaos should be about power at a price, but treat them like the Nazgul. Sure, they're lessened in a lot of ways and enslaved, but they're still terrifying and the forces of Sauron have their own, even arguably superior infrastructure.

Give me Chaos supply lines and fortresses and pocket empires carved out of Imperium Nihlus. Have them use warp powers to supplement their armaments and have it be more effective. We're supposed to believe Chaos's power is tempting beyond reason, but there's no real sign that's the case. What profits a man to sell his soul if he doesn't even get the world for it?

Incidentally, I'm talking Chaos as a whole. There's plenty of room for renegades (who may well scorn the Warp and therefore don't benefit from its gifts nearly as much) and unlucky fodder- for every success story like the Legions, there can be a lot of warbands that were devoured or failed or just didn't get lucky...But there need to be those success stories. Show how the Iron Warriors, Word Bearers, Black Legion, etc etc are objectively scarier now than they ever were as loyalists/ during the Heresy.

The Chaos Gods and their most favoured servants have unlimited power and forces, to be specific. The regular Chaos Marine or Cultist is not so lucky.

Even with Primaris there are less than a million Loyalist Marines in M42. The Traitor Legions alone have a few million Chaos Astartes while the Renegades have another few million

The Black Legion should have a warband that is a twisted mockery of the Grey Knights, the Black Knights. The BKs are more numerous and more powerful than the GK but takes longer to make more of them. They only obey orders directly from Abaddon

I think there should be a lot of new named Chaos Champions in M42 to challenge the Old Veterans and to be the biggest challenge Loyalist special characters would face

Where are you getting these numbers?

Presumably, his Eye of Terror.

The Black Legion should have a warband that is a twisted mockery of the Grey Knights, the Black Knights. The BKs are more numerous and more powerful than the GK but takes longer to make more of them. They only obey orders directly from Abbadon.

But the Grey Knights were formed specifically to fight daemons and Chaos corruption... thus making me wonder why the largest war band of Chaos-affiliated traitors in the 41st millennium would want a similar organization. 

The Black Legion should have a warband that is a twisted mockery of the Grey Knights, the Black Knights. The BKs are more numerous and more powerful than the GK but takes longer to make more of them. They only obey orders directly from Abbadon.

But the Grey Knights were formed specifically to fight daemons and Chaos corruption... thus making me wonder why the largest war band of Chaos-affiliated traitors in the 41st millennium would want a similar organization.

Twisted version, you guys don't read the entire post. The Black Knights teleport straight into the enemy's command post and instantly blast them with immense firepower and psyker powers before ripping the survivors apart in melee with their vastly enhanced strength, thanks to technology and Warp blessing, and Daemon weapons

The Bringers of Despair no longer act as a speartip but as Abaddon's bodyguards so the Black Knights could be the new speartip as one of the traditions the BL keeps from its LW/SoH days. The BK follows Abaddon's addage of using the Warp but not being controlled by it compared to other Chaos forces

The BK warband acts as a foil to both the Grey Knights and Word Bearers, founded by Sargon Eregesh. In fact, each of the Ezekarion should form their own warband within the Black Legion, foils to both Loyalist Chapters and Traitor Legions

The Black Legion should have a warband that is a twisted mockery of the Grey Knights, the Black Knights. The BKs are more numerous and more powerful than the GK but takes longer to make more of them. They only obey orders directly from Abbadon.

Twisted version, you guys don't read the entire post. The Black Knights teleport straight into the enemy's command post and instantly blast them with immense firepower and psyker powers before ripping the survivors apart in melee with their vastly enhanced strength, thanks to technology and Warp blessing, and Daemon weapons

The Bringers of Despair no longer act as a speartip but as Abaddon's bodyguards so the Black Knights could be the new speartip as one of the traditions the BL keeps from its LW/SoH days. The BK follows Abaddon's addage of using the Warp but not being controlled by it compared to other Chaos forces

The BK warband acts as a foil to both the Grey Knights and Word Bearers, founded by Sargon Eregesh. In fact, each of the Ezekarion should form their own warband within the Black Legion, foils to both Loyalist Chapters and Traitor Legions

Sounds baller mate, could do with some of those baby carriers for the Black Knights as well, eh? :ph34r.: