Etheneus' Swedish Astra Militarum

Etheneus

I think Raine looks great I haven't finished painting mine because the details intimidate me :lol:

Although traditionally their colours are red and black I wouldn't get too caught up in it. I have commissars of various colours too particularly their sash.

She goes well with the rest of your force and no one will complain :tu:

Let's get to it

Heavy support:

Right now only the Hydra and these guys

XWVqgsv.jpg

A WIP. Had already finished a few before and two soldiers are finished here as well. The mortars are not painted or built by me although I swapped a few bits on the built ones.

WNbgaJn.jpg

L3GWZCV.jpg

Dv7tNxR.jpg

6HvS5yZ.jpg

In total 5 autocannons, 3 lascannon, 3 heavy bolters and 3 missile launchers painted. Another 6 mortars built (not buy me)

YANVqdx.jpg

Ran out of crew and had to improvise to get the fifth autocannon.

T0GRlui.jpg

My 4 year old son got to choose the tyranid colours.

LFfPh0s.jpg

Mini dioramas are fun.

Thanks and I'll admit I had a laugh at the ammo myself but that is what comes with the GW sprue. The guy I bought these from had made 3 mortars and I got both them and the sprue as well as an unopened box for heavy weapons so I know it's the right parts.

The ammo boxes and belts from the HWT sprues are indeed the ones in the picture.

I am guessing the muzzle is larger than the inside of the barrel itself, because otherwise those bullets would be too small.

I like the character you put into the HWT and nice job on making the autocannon without crew, no one would suspect and it looks really nice.

Thanks and I'll admit I had a laugh at the ammo myself but that is what comes with the GW sprue.

I presume the sculptor sized the ammo belt for heavy STUBBER models, and Games Workshop was too cheap to commission work sized for heavy BOLTER models. (Facepalms)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks GreenScorpion and WarriorFish. The heavy weapons were fun to do much so because of the big bases.

For something new then, part of my 12 month of hobby challenge. 5 snipers and 1 plasma gun.

HeU74nZ.jpg

VcuRLhl.jpg

I'm not happy with the cloaks, shouldn't have painted the camo bigger but kept it to the same size as the uniform. And it bothers me a lot that one backpack is upside down! I haven't built him and the head and waist broke off when trying to remove the backpack but it won't budge.

G0vZrAR.jpg

z37PqLn.jpg

This guy was fun. I had a model left and a plasmagun so why not make one to swap out one of all those grenade launchers I already have in my squads.

The light effect is a little to much but was fun making. The head is from Anvil Industry's but somehow I made the flesh a bit coarse, like their was dirt in my colour or brush. I made the best of it, making him look a bit burnt by mixing in a bit purple.

I have acctually finished an almost complete command squad with a platoon commander too, I will save those for when the last guy, the standard bearer, is done.

Command squad done! A lieutenant with boltgun and chainsword, a heavy flamer, a medic, a vox caster and a standard.

8Y9u1Dg.jpg

Medic got right shoulder white to make him stand out, the bandage is a little underwhelming for the model I think.

Heavy flamer because why not.

Vox was prebuilt so used it. Has a scion vox.

The lieutenant look like a regular sergeant, think I need to do something about that.

tZTq6US.jpg

WDo6nzn.jpg

The standard is not a regimental but the Swedish flag for two reasons (besides the Swedish theme), first in my fluff it's the planetary flag, second in the Swedish armed forces you are normally not allowed to carry a regimental standard without the swedish flag (yes, there are exceptions) so now I have a reason to make another standard.

Edited by Etheneus

I have had a little time since I've just got a new batch of recruits to my platoon (in RL)

Had this guy laying around already painted by someone else (ebay equivalent buy) but basically in the same colours but blue instead of green.

JbnLCWv.jpg

qjq2IF2.jpg

YoMrV0F.jpg

I made the khaki robe whiter and the gold brighter and made the gems red to bring out the contrast a bit more. The green was added to fit my swedish army theme.

Kind of look like a bishop about to smite some heretics.

• 4 weeks later...

First games of 9th done. After four weeks working, two of them on a live fire exercise I'm finally home and could play.

First game was acctually against my son, 4 years old and he loved it! I'll admit that it wasn't the real rules but simplified rules and he acctually won. He just sent everything forward and shot at my tank, killing it in the first round on good dice. He was so thrilled, the humiliation was worth it.

My first real game of 9th (1000pts) was against Craftworlds and it started well but not pushing that advantage and a faulty target priority had him recover and pushing me off almost every objective round 3. I lost 42 against 76.

Fun but I need to get into the objective game. A single infantry squad can't hold objectives.

My first tank commander was made almost a year ago, just forgotten to post him.

21trNl3.jpg

And this is the reason I discovered I've not posted him:

Nc18lGf.jpg

8MZ8c2w.jpg

yGqoqLH.jpg

My second tank commander is done.

Have already played her in the games mentioned in the previous post and she did good. Turret and sponsons are magnetized. I'm happy with here. The black beret is fitting a tanker.

Edited by Etheneus

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Bjorn!

I should paint my two chimeras for the 12 month challenge but been having this guy on my desk looking at me.

Janus Draik

UgJaw6j.jpg

iHxHp03.jpg

He was bought painted and in similar colours. The white coat was to white and no details. The beast was grey, haven't changed the head. The trousers were badly highlighted, not sure why because the rest have looked good. The weapons were all gold.

I like my take on him. Will probably use as an inquisitor.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Hiroitchi, will make mortars next, after an Inqusitor.

Two Chimeras with magnetised options done.

6UIf1ze.jpg

znRpAqj.jpg

Sorry for the poor light.

These have gotten basecoat, wash and first highlight layer inside the Swedish Royal Castle or with the better name the Swedish Palace. I had the honour of be Royal honour guard there with my platoon a week ago and there is a bit of a down time in between things.

The second highlight layer and details was done at home and this trophy skull was added as well as the designations. And yes, the FA chimera has been updated with those letters as well.

ztnz1fU.jpg

The gunner can use both the stubber and the stormbolter.

• 2 weeks later...

Something new!

I want to make a Crusade force and loved the Kyria Draxus model (Then I realised bringing named characters is not as fun as bringing unamed.) So here she is.

py8QiRM.jpg

gLiMwJR.jpg

ejTcrbm.jpg

Her shuriken catapult is made to look like the ones my main opponents' Craftworlders have. The armour is made to look a bit green and the rest of the colours my four year old son chose.

I made a small mistake on the face but made it into a scar above her right eye.

Now I will finally make the mortars.

• 1 month later...

So after two months finally some progress. Haven't had the motivation to continue for a while but now I've completed two Heavy Weapon Squads of mortars and a Commisar with plasma gun.

I5Llswq.jpg

zFg0Vyt.jpg

What is all the yellow things?

- Bananas

Why?

- In the Swedish Armed Forces most notably (but not exclusively) in the army we call our Mortar platoons Monkeys, and monkeys eat bananas. They never put their mortars to work before a box of bananas are deployed at the firing position.

- Why do you call then that? (Isn't it offensive?) Frankly I'm not entirely sure if there is some elaborate reason but it's a long standing tradition and to serv as a mortar crew you can have about the lowest intelligence rating in the army. Monkey see, monkey do. Simple. Offensive? No, they embrace it, their "warcry" is making monkey sounds and beating their chest.

ObqmULG.jpg

Oh, and here is the commisar that I didn't assemble and whom will most likely not see use because Why would I use Plasma on a 40 point model.