Etheneus' Swedish Astra Militarum

Etheneus

I simply love your camo - and just all of what you did with those models.

Modifications, paintjob, bases, idea,...

And the little details that tell stories. The bananas are such a nice touch.

And, because I just can’t keep my smart mouth shut, a piece of advice.

I noticed on several of your (really, REALLY above average!) faces that the eyes often appear too wide open. I know, painting eyes is a hybrid of plague and cholera. A tiny amount of black wash might reduce that.

• 4 weeks later...

I love these guys' scheme. Very nice :tu:

Also:

What is all the yellow things?
- Bananas
Why?
- In the Swedish Armed Forces most notably (but not exclusively) in the army we call our Mortar platoons Monkeys, and monkeys eat bananas. They never put their mortars to work before a box of bananas are deployed at the firing position.
- Why do you call then that? (Isn't it offensive?) Frankly I'm not entirely sure if there is some elaborate reason but it's a long standing tradition and to serv as a mortar crew you can have about the lowest intelligence rating in the army. Monkey see, monkey do. Simple. Offensive? No, they embrace it, their "warcry" is making monkey sounds and beating their chest.

So kind of like the United States' Marine Corps being known as "crayon eaters" because of the assumed lack of intelligence then? :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, exactly the crayon eater thing and I have served with lots of them because our platoons (I was recon) were in the same company so I know.

For something new then. Three things done.

Leman Russ Battle Tank with some options magnetised

IwBHMuZ.jpg

A new squad

SHjK4ag.jpg

And my first scion which will translate to a Swedish Jägare (means hunter but think Ranger). A Tempestor Prime

np2AvG4.jpg

RUoat38.jpg

GYpFq8w.jpg

All of these are some of the last rescues I got hold of that were sprayed red. I have a inf squad,a 5 man scion squad and 10 crusaders left and then I'm out of model's. Need to purchase new...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So another squad complete.

7vfTqEQ.jpg

lVmiuFi.jpg

Uvt48Ek.jpg

The sergeant will be the leader of the next squad I'll make (A platoon, third squad, called GA).

Grenade launcher and female bionic grenade thrower to EB (B platoon, first squad), vox to FB, yellow glasses (based of a former squadmate whom always wore those) and scarface to EA, blondie and shaved female FA, dark female and bionic half shaved female EC (the squad completed in the previous post).

Well what does all this mean:

EA (first squad of first platoon) can be run with only las and sergeant, with vox, with plasma, sniper or grenade launcher.

FA can have only las and sergeant, vox, grenade launcher or sniper.

GA only sergeant

EB eight las, sergeant, vox, plasma, sniper or grenade launcher.

FB, eight las, sergeant, vox, melta or sniper.

GB none

EC, all las, sergeant, vox, grenade launcher or sniper.

FC none

GC none

A platoon or AQ also have a platoon commander and command squad with medic, standard, vox and heavy flamer.

Three chimeras.

BQ have a platoon commander.

CQ no command.

Phew.. need to make a army shot or something as soon as I got GA done.

• 4 weeks later...

Really like your camo and uniforms. As MedicMike0708 said the head swaps add a lot of character.

Keep’em coming!

Thanks to both of you. I don't want an army of clones, uniforms that take away identity is fine though. That's why most of my army still wears helmets. (Reminds me, need more empty helmets...)

So for something new:

lirO036.jpg

zsgtnmm.jpg

Two flamers, one for EA, one for FA.

Two lasguns, one for EB, one for FB.

So AQ platoon have more options and BQ platoon can take all lasguns + sergeant.

The company commander will be second in command of the company (QJ).

Bionic parts, like the CC legs are from Anvil industry and same goes for head, legs and left hand of flamer female. The bit on flamer female's base is product placement

Commanders:

KBX0Hgg.jpg

The platoon commander with powerfist (that has since picture was taken a less shiny fist) has regular swedish M/90 camo on his clothes but for the commander I went back to M/52 that is out of use but more befitting the model.

lQVQcph.jpg

For commissar and company commander warlord I chose our dress/parade uniform M/87. The commander, being the leader of the regiment/brigade he has gold details but the commissars in my mind come from the Emperor's troops and in Sweden the king's troops have silver. Yes, the irony in that the Emperor had a golden armour has struck me.

Your dress uniform is basically the opposite of my guard uniforms lol.

Try a few more thin coats to get a more crisp white.

• 1 month later...

Thanks. Will try when I come around to making another Warlord (I mean, your warlord should not overcharge)

For now a commisar that was painted about three weeks ago for the monthly challenge but never posted here.

Commisar with boltgun

x0xlkNo.jpg

MxtbHsn.jpg

Arms and leg from Anvil industry and head from Statuesque miniatures.

The arms didn't fit around the uniform but with added broaden bionic (green stuff) shoulders it look alright.

Also five scions from the same pledge. Preassembled and painted red, but again I didn't bother striping the old colour but covered it up and so the layers are thick.

uZ1oegk.jpg

pVRWg2I.jpg

• 3 weeks later...