A History of the Forge World Style of Painting

Hi Pawl,

Glad to hear it. I haven't figured out yet the whole subtitles thing. Were the automatically generated ones semi-intelligible?

99% of them were, yeah. It didn't like "Stutcinskas" but aside from that there was only a couple of minor misses - nothing that you couldn't figure out easily enough.

it was interesting to watch.

As someone who knows some really old scale modellers it was always obviously that the Forgeworld painters came from a more scale modelling background but i didnt do much resaerch into the people.

I didnt come to the idea that the gritty more realistic style was a design choice that tied into everything else in the Heresy - verse.

Thanks, guys! Making videos is just an extension of the hobby for me, so it's great to have constructive feedback.

And yeah, I like military modelling too.

@armarnis: I love the idea of a follow-up, but but I honestly haven't a clue who is painting FW models now.

Dikussed this with a friend a bit.

I think, what you missed a bit is the target audience for the FW painting style and the Horus Heresy.

If you look at the stores, the bright and flashy paint jobs from GW are a part to atract a younger audience. Its a bit liek the flashy superhero costumes while the Heresy stuff is / was aimed at people with a higher disposable income which have been long enough into the universe and are willing to spend more time and money into the miniatures.

If you look at the Heresy nuts there are barely unpainted models, less competiton like tourneys etc.

Definitely. FW is aimed at more advanced (and thusly propably older) hobbyists in all cases.

Sad to see more of a eavy metal style creeping into the heresy.

On the other hand I really enjoyed the more battle damaged paintjobs on the new primaris marines.

Again a very cool video. I wouldnt have researched this myself, but it is very interesting.

And jeah do a follow up about how HH developped since then.

Edited by Marshal Vespasian

Dikussed this with a friend a bit.

I think, what you missed a bit is the target audience for the FW painting style and the Horus Heresy.

If you look at the stores, the bright and flashy paint jobs from GW are a part to atract a younger audience. Its a bit liek the flashy superhero costumes while the Heresy stuff is / was aimed at people with a higher disposable income which have been long enough into the universe and are willing to spend more time and money into the miniatures.

If you look at the Heresy nuts there are barely unpainted models, less competiton like tourneys etc.

Hi Bung,

I totally agree, but I deliberately left that out, as well as any sort of comparison with current paintjobs. The mission I set myself is to raise awareness about weathering. If I get embroiled in the inevitable flame wars that would result from those sort of discussions, I could never achieve anything. 

Regards, 

Enrique

Definitely. FW is aimed at more advanced (and thusly propably older) hobbyists in all cases.

Sad to see more of a eavy metal style creeping into the heresy.

On the other hand I really enjoyed the more battle damaged paintjobs on the new primaris marines.

Again a very cool video. I wouldnt have researched this myself, but it is very interesting.

And jeah do a follow up about how HH developped since then.

Thanks, Vespasian. I would like to do some kind of follow-up, but it wouldn't be about the current style, for the reasons I explained to Bung above. 

Well, you could always show pictures of second edition paintjobs with all colors on all the miniatures.

Miniature painting evolves. I like to think that something of the Forgeworld Style like weathering carried over to 40k paintjobs. The blue GW painting book about tanks shows stuff like different damage types and weathering.

Even color theory had been mentioned in the blue books something which is a common tool for miniature artists.

That stuff had been there already in the GW painting books i am sad they cut that stuff.

If you want the worst, go to a scale modelling forum where Star Wars "Fans" talk about the correct shade of grey for TIE Fighters and the like.

Edited by Bung

Again, totally agree on all counts, sir...including the Star Wars one :wink:

I live in hope that one day we will get a sort of new Heresy with the Unification Wars. There's no way you could portray the Techno-barbarians without weathering! :biggrin.: