I agree with you there Verux. I struggled a bit with getting the pose as dynamic and didn't quite manage to get there either. The helmet's a bit too much for my tastes as well, but I only have the orante ones left to use alas. I started trying to paint them but ran into a trouble, in the heatwave that's been going through here in Sweden my primer ended up all sticky which was a first for me. And I only messed it up further by going through and applying a metal primer over that.
After some further struggle I just put them in a bath of cleaning for a night before scrubbing off most of the non-primer paint and starter over by dry-brushing the metal this time. Ended up better and they don't feel sticky anymore, albeit carrying a quite fragrant scent now. Some goggling told me the sticky quality is a risk when you do it in very warm/humid weather, the more you know. We don't get heatwaves that often here. The cold tends to be my struggle, although I've never actually had primer go bad even while doing it during the winter.
It was rather disheartening regardless, but I've convinced myself to just paint them even with the flaws as it is better to have a project done even if it's not perfect than to add more half-way done thing to my box of shame in the corner. I am not a big fan of painting trims, so the chaos space marines are not my favourite thing there even if I love the sculpts but got through that with some patience. The iconic iron warrior hazard stripes were more of a challenge, and at first I figured I'd try to just learn to paint them but that quickly became an exercise in frustration as layers of yellow added up to start from the beginning. So I tried to do masking, which worked well enough for them to look vaguely like the goal but not amazing on the surfaces I had. I might try and paint in sub-assemblies in the future, atleast for the parts I want to mask to make reaching easier.
I also went ought and bought some oil paints after reading Apologist's stellar thread about his Gatebreakers, got myself both a grey and a burnt umber and I am hoping to use them on this team. I am a little reluctant though, since I am wholly unfamiliar with the medium. I used them on a Primaris marine I had lying about to try the grey, and so far that one I am not sure -does- that much. But that might simply be user error. The burnt umber does give a lovely grimy feel which I -could- use to make that sort of warband. Either way it seems something that works best on bright colours, which my marines are decidedly not. So might not be the best project to use them on.
But enough of a rambling from me, after my little ordeal and some hours of painting this is the current state of my first berzerker.
Edited by Torbenos, 29 June 2020 - 03:35 PM.