Nexus' wORKS in progress

Nexus17

Ello dere ladz.  I have a thread in the WIP forum for the boyz but I thought this might be of interest here, too.

I've been involved with GW and the hobby on and off for over 20 years but recently started adding to an ragtag ork collection that's a motley bunch of random purchases and ebay rescues stretching back to 2nd edition with a view to building a proper waaagh to get on the table and play some games.

This thread is meant to be a bit of a snapshot of my progress with various projects to keep me keen, gather some feedback and hopefully provide some inspiration for both me and others along the way.

Here are a couple of bits I'm working on at the moment:

Bikerboss

This guy has been in progress for probably the best part of 10 years in fits and starts and is based around an AoBR warlord that had a hard life before I got hold of him (and an even harder one after I did!).  The bike is a combination of parts built from scratch materials, model kit components, and 3d printed bits.  This last week I've been working away at the engine ancillaries and belts in CAD and running off copies to add to the mini.  Between the clear red resin and the general cramped area for the parts, it's difficult to see and get a good shot so I've included a screengrab from the design.  Hopefully this makes visual sense!

This week I want to make some headway with the exhausts - that will require picking up some new CAD skills so all in all should be an interesting journey.

Eq12QRB7_o.jpg

yxwr4vaC_o.jpg

o0DcVMR7_o.jpg

Weirdboy

I've loved this old school image of a weirdboy firing off since I first saw it the old Codex Imperialis years ago.  For me it perfectly captures the weird, wacky but still deadly nature of the orks.  On the other hand, I don't like the current weirdboy mini at all and I didn't fancy any of the usual suspects as donors for a kitbash.

JQ8YALM0_o.jpg

So instead, I've gone for a scratch sculpt, inspired by the image above.  This is framed out in sprue as it's quick and easy to get the main shape together and cuts down the layers of putty required.  As you can see I've started to get major muscle groups together on one side.  His proportions are generally those of a nob but he looks a lot taller looking due to being straightened out and on his tip-toes/floating/levering himself up on his grot supporter(s).

Kkp10ZjF_o.jpg

I've recently been working up the head, diverging from the inspiration picture and trying to emulate a more Brian Nelson style of ork.  BN's orks have been long-term favourites of mine and I think it's a shame that GW has decided to move the ork/orruk style in a different direction now.

9v3K9iD9_o.jpg

Z1jENT8z_o.jpg

DwVeyozO_o.jpg

SPRhlkDz_o.jpg

I could do with a hand from you guys now though - should the eyebrows rise together in the middle like this:
EwkLNvuv_o.jpg

or both be raised, like this:
gAuZRrWr_o.jpg

Although the first option looks a bit more like the expression for honking up stupendous quantities of psychoactive goop, I think I prefer the second option as it's closer to the feel of the picture.  I've left it as per the first photo for now but it's easy enough to carve the brows off and reform them - as you can see from the other pictures I'm happy to start cutting when there's something that looks wrong or I don't like a form or detail.

Thoughts or feedback more than welcome and greatly appreciated.

• 1 month later...

+ TRANSMISSION INTERRUPTED +

+ SIGNAL RECEIVED +

+ BEGIN FEED +

"Oy lookee 'ere, iz dem traynin' weewz? Brotha yor sleepin' on da job! YOU AINT GOT WOT IT TAYKZ BRUTHA! DE ORKAMANIA'Z COMIN' BRUTHA SO YOO BEST PUT ON YOR RED AN' YELLOW AN' JOIN MOY ORKAMANIAKZ IF'N YOO DON' WANNA GIT CRUSHED!"

+ TRANSMISSION LOST +

• 3 weeks later...

My apologies...I gave this a like and forgot to comment, I really envy your greenstuff skillz and the bike looks detailed..although my son said that was a waste of a lollie as the front Wheel ;-D

I think the second head choice is my fav too , really look fwd to seeing more work on this !

Cheers, Mithril

+ TRANSMISSION INTERRUPTED +

+ SIGNAL RECEIVED +

+ BEGIN FEED +

"Oy lookee 'ere, iz dem traynin' weewz? Brotha yor sleepin' on da job! YOU AINT GOT WOT IT TAYKZ BRUTHA! DE ORKAMANIA'Z COMIN' BRUTHA SO YOO BEST PUT ON YOR RED AN' YELLOW AN' JOIN MOY ORKAMANIAKZ IF'N YOO DON' WANNA GIT CRUSHED!"

+ TRANSMISSION LOST +

The waaagh is on a slow burn but it's still growing!  The boss hasn't seen much progress since these pictures but the weirdboy has had a bit more work done, albeit not really enough to share here.

My apologies...I gave this a like and forgot to comment, I really envy your greenstuff skillz and the bike looks detailed..although my son said that was a waste of a lollie as the front Wheel ;-D

I think the second head choice is my fav too , really look fwd to seeing more work on this !

Cheers, Mithril

Thanks!

Funny what your son said about the wheel - I've also been 3D printing some custom dice and have a bowl of unfinished dice sat on the side.  A guest recently almost helped themselves to a 'sweetie'; thankfully I saved them from some impromptu dental issues!

Speaking of which, here are a few snaps of the dice:

x24J7IZQ_t.jpg

xttsZerX_t.jpg

I've recently been working mostly on a boyz mob which has seen these two somewhat neglected and I'm afraid I don't have any pictures to show for now but I'll have something to share soon.

Really appreciate your comments guys.