Which Skorpius should I build?

Thanks for the write up Prot, when I get back into my Ad-Mech the bomber will be on the list for sure :thumbsup:  who doesn't love bombers anyway :tongue.:

A question if I may... I just got the skorpius(sp?) in the new starter set (it was the only way I could afford the dang thing :sweat:

Do I make the transport or the Tank?... I don't run disco sticks or jazz hands if that's relevant... just squads of rangers and vanguards etc

thanks in advance for any insight...

Cheers, Mithril

++EDIT++ thanks for making this a topic, apologies for hijaking the other thread :blush.:

Edited by mithrilforge

If you haven't got a desperate need for transport you should see alot more from building the tank first. You do not need a CC unit to use the transport, I see a lot of people taking transports full of vanguard for board control. The transport itself has a respectable amount of low level Dakka.

I built the transport first because I had a small Disco force that needed to get to the party, but I now also have a tank as well.

Edited by Black_Knight

Unfortunately can't say as we don't know the points cost or whether either will become BLAST weapons. What I would do is make both weapons, the barrels are the different parts and they hang on with a small slot. It will fall off if you move the tank with some VROOOOOOOOOM but otherwise it should hang on till you figure out what you need.

Also for every transport you make you will get a spare weapon part to swap with so need to magnetise.

As soon as we get the FAQ and a few batreps we should know what is what. If we are lucky the Dunecrawler will become god like again and we can use the LOS cannon without feeling bad :D

So here's my take on it.

Definitely Skorpius over Dunerider.... Especially if you have zero of the tank.

For 9th regardless, let's be honest we're going to be an army that always has a heavy shooting element. But what we seriously lack is indirect. I personally found it very, very easy to magnetize the two options. (And I stink at assembly). It can even 'push fit' if you really want.

Start with a Skorpous is my advice. Keep the main mount unglued. Wait for 9th... plop on the indirect cannon anyway, and have fun. :)

I am actually thinking of pulling my 3 Skorpius from my list. I swear it is so incredibly pivotal for me that I think it would be a massive test... even if I went down to 1. (I've been saying it since I put mine together, I believe that tank and secondarily the transport saved the army for me.)

@ Prot & Black_Knight - 

Thanks guys for the insight :cool.: and many thanks Prot for your playtesting and giving of advice, I know sometimes you have way out idea's that conventional or Blinkered players poo-poo or deride so I'd like to say personally that I and I'm sure many many others benefit from your playtesting... so a big THANKYOU bud :thumbsup: 

Cheers, Mithril

p.s gotta get one of those archeopters for sure :laugh.:

Just to play devils advocate...

I only have a couple skorpius, but I run both of mine as transports. Great little things, decent moves, puts out decent anti-horde and can carry either vanguard (for more anti horde) or my priests. 

Whilst less relevant if running say a mars gunline, I run a stygies list which is much more about getting midfield, and having the transports to move priests/vanguard midfield before the game even begins is excellent for me.

I also run onagers so have less need for anti tank, however the skorpius does seem the be the stronger/more all round choice over the onager these days - i just refuse to replace my crab tanks cos I love em :teehee:

I am sad about the Onagers, but I agree... it's really an iconic unit. The Skorpius is (unfortunately) just so much better.  

I think that 8th has advanced so much in damage since the Admech codex came out (very early in 8th) that I would actually make the Neutron Laser D6 shots (min 3). And that short range weapon... I don't know. But as this relates to the Skorpius, maybe the biggest feature difference is the indirect fire.

Admech have a few ways of being 'fast' or jumping in, however most of this is still really weak stuff with no staying power. But the indirect really helps you reach key areas without threatening your own safety.

The Dunerider is still a VERY important piece of the puzzle, but you said you don't use any Priests which probably lowers the value added. (especially in 9th were detachments will not feed you CP.)

The transport is a good blocking mechanism as well. Sometimes you're simply using them to prevent a cheeky consolidate from a failed assault.

Every weapon on the Dunecrawler needs to be re-balanced. Firstly make the two we don't use into something that's interesting against CC/horde(exploding shots), nerf the Icarus so that it really should only be used against flyers and make the Neutron Laser H2 with double shooting when stationary.

Edited by Black_Knight

I dunno, getting flat 4 shots with the neutron laser makes it dang near as killy as a space marine executioner (sans all the other guns). I think it could still be d3 shots but automatically getting a max 3 if you haven't moved and that'd be a plenty good buff. I don't think a neutron feels weak when you roll a 5 or 6 on the amount of shots, in fact I'd argue it feels quite strong. It's those other results that can be quite disappointing.

Three shots if it doesn't move works too, I think we all agree the swing on the shots is the problem with the laser right now, even just simply having 2 shots would allow it to comeback as a tank killer over the Submarine. I do like the image of it stumping its feet down, bracing and a beam of light erupting into space from the planet though :biggrin.:

Biggest problem is that the Icarus array counts as a horde weapon oO. I think instead of shooting all the options you should pick one of them to use, then make sure the lower shot amount actually hurts flyers. It feels like you are flinging the kitchen sink at the planes and hoping something gets through. If anything that we speed up the process.

Oh and the Eradication beamer should shoot at short range in a line so you can line up multiple targets, that's what the weapon is supposed to do. Finally increase the shots of the Phosphor blaster so it does more than a single arm of a bot.

Edited by Black_Knight

If the Tau got high-yield missile pods on broadsides I don't see why we can't have rapid-fire heavy phosphor blasters (With a snappier trademark friendly name, obviously)

Is the Ferromite cannon or whatever it's called effective against vehicles? I see so many people talking about the indirect fire weapon that the other weapon barely seems to get mentioned. I guess it's just because the indirect fire is unique to the tank but high strength long ranged fire is available elsewhere?

Edited by Magos Takatus

Yea I hear you. I have been working on my two new copters and it’s been a week of working a ton of overtime. I can’t even imagine how I’m going to build the rest of the new stuff. 

I feel the bane of my hobbying existence is the actual building of the models. I do not enjoy it that much at all. I'm with you I've got a ton of unbuilt stuff but have enlisted my middle son to assist me this coming week. I purchased a new cutting mat and will be taking a chunk of models into the kitchen to sit with my boy and build stuff up. I hope to finish some of my older models before getting to the new models. On the list: 5 stick priests, 1 dragoon, 1 armiger, 10 hoplites.

What kind of TPD am I? I must kick the fabrication subroutines into overtime.

Edited by brother_b

@ brother_b - that's awesome to hear your including one of your sons in your building process! is he getting a bump in his allowance or any such compensation :sweat:  for the fabricating of your forces... I too would like a Servitor er I mean my son to help me but he's still too young for that type of task :happy.:  he does want to paint some free push fit primaris I got so that's a start...

please post up your work task when it's done !

Mithril