Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

UK eBooks are now VAT-exempt.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Joe

Joe

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,013 posts

8xO1yQD3bDc1Vv2V.jpg

WarCom Article.

This was announced a while back, but it's finally gone into effect.
  • Firedrake Cordova and Centurion Jay like this

mkbKIlr.png

ThePenitentOne

ThePenitentOne

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 960 posts
  • Faction: Sisters of Battle

Doesn't matter to me since epubs are crap on regular computers.

If you already have an e reader machine, they're probably okay. But I've tried different epub software for my computer and nothing makes it work. I think it is unfair of GW to not tell people that epubs don't display properly on computers. I wasted some money during lockdown to try and get my GW fix.

The way I see it, when I bought the books, I bought the license, so I can go and download PDF's which will actually be readable on a computer without feeling like I ripped GW off.

SkimaskMohawk

SkimaskMohawk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,008 posts
  • Faction: Raven Guard and VIII Legion
I wish they did this for everything. If I understand vat correctly, the tax is already incorporated into their retail price; a 120£ product will be 120£ when you pay for it. But then they do some form of magic when it comes to other countries and the exchange rate, and we end up paying for their tax and then our own. So a product that was 100£ pre vat is now 271 CAD after my country's taxes and magic exchange. For comparison, that 100£ pre vat price works out to 191 CAD after tax. 191 to 271, a 40% increase lol.

Raven1

Raven1

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,069 posts
@SkimaskMohawk

You can never make sense of GW's foreign pricing. Mainland Europe and the US seem to be screwed the least when it comes to pricing, and it goes down hill from there especially when paying in dollarydoos.
  • Bulwyf, SkimaskMohawk and MegaVolt87 like this

gallery_33260_13323_10404.pnggallery_33260_13323_11012.pngETL_VI_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei_02_.jpgETL_VI_Badge_Forum_Champion_Chaos_DemonsETL_Medal_01.gif

Axineton

Axineton

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,805 posts

Prices are still the same on warhammer digital for codexes unless I’m missing something? 

oh and skimask you put the £ symbol before the numbers mate. 

Edited by Axineton, 23 June 2020 - 03:40 PM.

Noserenda

Noserenda

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,395 posts
  • Faction: Scythes of the Emperor

Cant complain about price drops :D 

Penitent one, have you tried Calibre? I usually read on a Kindle but some shorts ive saved the effort and read on my PC and theyve displayed fine using that.

• Firedrake Cordova likes this

Firedrake Cordova

Firedrake Cordova

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,392 posts
  • Faction: Salamanders

Doesn't matter to me since epubs are crap on regular computers ... I think it is unfair of GW to not tell people that epubs don't display properly on computers. I wasted some money during lockdown to try and get my GW fix.

It depends on what type of e-book you're trying to read.  The e-Pub 2 format (used for novels) displays fine via Calibre on a PC as the layout can adapt to the space available (although they are much nicer to read on an e-ink screen for reasons of eye comfort).  The e-Pub 3 format (used for codexes and the like) is more of a fixed layout affair (like a PDF, but with some added compatibility caveats), and can be more problematic.  If it's an e-Pub 3 you've got, the best bet is probably to find something to convert it to PDF (a quick search turns up a few sites that may do it for free).

I wish they did this for everything. If I understand vat correctly, the tax is already incorporated into their retail price; a 120£ product will be 120£ when you pay for it.

VAT is a bit weird, insofar as the retailer acts as the tax collector for HMRC, is invoiced separately, and businesses don't pay it (or can reclaim it).  If you're buying from outside the EU, you can avoid paying VAT (it might depend on the retailer, though).  I'm not sure if it applies to digital purchases, but just for the sake of completeness when discussing conversion to other currencies, there is the possibility of tariffs leading to potentially wonky-looking conversions (I don't know what the situation is between the EU and Canada) ...

Edited by Firedrake Cordova, 23 June 2020 - 05:41 PM.

• Sandlemad and Noserenda like this

SkimaskMohawk

SkimaskMohawk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,008 posts
  • Faction: Raven Guard and VIII Legion
So from what I can tell, companies don't have to charge vat when selling outside of the EU. I have the feeling that if asked, gw could respond with "we don't charge vat outside of the UK and EU" and that's true. But that just underlines their silly home made conversion rate. I think it would honestly be cheaper to order stuff directly from the UK than pay the cad price lol.

Having said that, I just checked element games and gw policy prevents them from shipping to countries that are out of the eea. Meaning they don't want people to get around their 20% markup via distributors in the uk.

Edited by SkimaskMohawk, 24 June 2020 - 01:24 AM.

• MegaVolt87 likes this

Xenith

Xenith

++ NETATOR FEROCIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 12,204 posts

Doesn't matter to me since epubs are crap on regular computers if you dont use the right software

All GW's stuff works perfectly well on google play books, and that's about the most basic reader you can get.

On the other hand, this is great news, most £9.99 books have gone down to £7.99, though this is the same price as the legacy softcovers. Might get the siege of terra books.

Edited by Xenith, 24 June 2020 - 06:39 AM.

SufficientAnonymity

SufficientAnonymity

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 695 posts
  • Faction: Templars, SoBs, Custodes

Doesn't matter to me since epubs are crap on regular computers if you dont use the right software

All GW's stuff works perfectly well on google play books, and that's about the most basic reader you can get.

On the other hand, this is great news, most £9.99 books have gone down to £7.99, though this is the same price as the legacy softcovers. Might get the siege of terra books.

Depends on if ePub 2 or 3 - both perfectly in Play Books on mobile, but the latter will not render in the web version.

Adobe Digital Editions seems to work well enough with any file, thankfully.

Fighting Company Grimaldus: http://www.bolterand...pany-grimaldus/

The Order of the Iron Veil: http://www.bolterand...-the-iron-veil/
Instagram: https://instagram.co...g.for.my.sanity

Twitter: https://twitter.com/SanityPainting

gallery_48988_15094_7420.pnggallery_48988_15094_2023.pnggallery_48988_15094_6220.pnggallery_48988_15094_3504.pnggallery_48988_15094_1684.png

Previous Trophies

Spoiler

Xenith

Xenith

++ NETATOR FEROCIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 12,204 posts

Depends on if ePub 2 or 3 - both perfectly in Play Books on mobile, but the latter will not render in the web version.

Adobe Digital Editions seems to work well enough with any file, thankfully.

Ah yea, the epub3 codexes are struggling, but the BL books as epubs seem to be ok. 

Progenitor

Progenitor

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 225 posts

So from what I can tell, companies don't have to charge vat when selling outside of the EU. I have the feeling that if asked, gw could respond with "we don't charge vat outside of the UK and EU" and that's true. But that just underlines their silly home made conversion rate. I think it would honestly be cheaper to order stuff directly from the UK than pay the cad price lol.

Having said that, I just checked element games and gw policy prevents them from shipping to countries that are out of the eea. Meaning they don't want people to get around their 20% markup via distributors in the uk.

On the Element thing, GW changed their 3rd party vendor policy a few years back specifically to force people outside of EU and UK to have to buy from local retail. There are some really wonky terms to their selling regs now so you can't get stuff with deep discounts. It caused a massive outrage at the time. 

"I think we'll be OK unless they have some giant robot camels."

Lord Marshal

Lord Marshal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,869 posts
  • Faction: Imperial Guard

@SkimaskMohawk

You can never make sense of GW's foreign pricing. Mainland Europe and the US seem to be screwed the least when it comes to pricing, and it goes down hill from there especially when paying in dollarydoos.

There's sense in it that people there are still willing to pay for it. I really don't understand how Aussies put up with it and I always despair when I see people like The Outer Circle complaining about their insane markup only to then display their new, 2000pt Nighthaunt army, but it does explain why GW laughs all the way to the bank.

gallery_30308_9518_1272.jpggallery_30308_9518_1551.pngsml_gallery_48988_16308_9366.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users