WIP Aeronautica stuff

Just WIP stuff as I slowly work. I haven’t painted in a month but I’d like to see what colors and patterns you all are doing. 

3 Valks primed so far, the black one will be an Inquisitor private jet while the other two are going to mimic the scheme of USCG Jayhawks. I wanted to get the colors blocked out before recess shading, highlights, and little script scribbles. 

258EA77B 47DE 44B8 AAD7 A36ED25ACE47

A0E42F9D 7103 40F0 9855 8CAD7CFC008D

DD4DE3A9 EA30 47AF B7A8 8FCF0433AA49

2FD955CB 2FF6 4350 ACAC 475102CE3C15

1F0E0745 0DBC 420A BA95 68AB832B6B40

Thanks, these are just contrasts and you can see how shaky my hands are. 

Super jealous of that white. Looks great.

Just flat white Rustoleum primer. I spray them one at a time and do them gently to get even coverage, contrasts are much brighter on them like that blue. 

Very good. If you're aiming for a direct copy of that helicopter then I think it looks a little more like red than orange. And maybe you could try to incorporate the chevron pattern the helicopter has.

Currently the valk looks good, but in all honesty if I saw it I don't know that I'd make the association with the coast guard.

You could possibly put a red mark of some sort on the wing too. The helicopter doesn't have this, but then it doesn't have wings either. You could have a red chevron at the tip and. or the red and thin blue stripe angled across the wing.

Hope this helps, and doesn't come across as critical. It's a nice pattern.

I’m just using contrasts at the moment and my orange looks brown so I added a drop of yellow.  I can go back over this with heavily thinned scarlet to see how it looks but I didn’t know what to do with the wings, maybe that big rectangle needs to be orange or blue? Lighting really changes the tone of CG orange it but I figured I could add more red if needed, it’s hard to take away red :ermm: 

AE0FFD38 1CAF 4D75 AA62 13B8035C807B

I also can’t find my contrast white but I should start the other one (not pictured) to get the base layers done. 

I believe the pilot is in the back, though I don't have my 28mm Valk parts handy to check.

Given that the Valk fills the "helicopter" roles I'd argue for the gunner-fore configuration. Though, considering all the weapons are fixed-forward, a gunner seems superfluous. (Though, not the Sky Talon with it's chin turret.)

Pretty sure the pilot is in the back. I’m not sure what the other guy is doing though. There are no weapons except for fixed forward facing ones, so there’s no real job for a gun ef to do. The vulture has a turret and enough missiles to justify having someone in charge of aiming them but the valk doesn’t.

It's hard to photograph at this stage but a thinned coat of contrast white over white primer gives you a nice off white, I like it.  

Also if using normal paints, a thinned coat of Ulthuan grey gives a really good solid off white (over corax spray also) 

Cannot wait to see your finished Valks.

I have to say I loved painting the ork stuff and the Thunderbolts but I really love the Valks… They would have to be my favourite model from AI so far (and I love T'au) I'm getting them even if it's to just paint up...:wub:

Mithril

• 1 month later...

No pics as of yet but I touched up above the cockpit with orange, shaded it with apothecary white contrast paint, then a light nuln oil recess shade with a few layers on the top behind the engine nozzles. Next step is finishing the skids and maaaaaybe some scar white streaks on the white panels going nose to tail.

I have 6 Valks total I think between the box set and a box I got at GW. I’m thinking I’ll only need one Coast Guard Valkyrie, one Inquisitorial Valk, and maybe two Vendettas over the life of the game so that leaves two more. Idea: instead of ordering a Vulture maybe I can kitbash one Valk by cutting down the rear fuselage and joining the engines in the middle. I’m not a fan of the Vulture’s huge turbofan nor FW’s recent quality control so this would make sense to me.

If I’m cutting down fuselages then it occurred to me that a Sky Talon was also doable. https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Imperial-Navy-Valkyrie-Sky-Talon

This would involve cutting the rear fuselage down to just the engines, shaving down the upper cockpit trim flush to the glass, a stabilizer over the top of the engine nozzles, and some gubbins underneath to look like clamps. All in a day’s work for someone with a three day weekend.

Edited by Fajita Fan