Differentiating between Troops and Dominions?

Basically, the title says it all.

Celestians seem to have the Fleur de Lys on their visors and (in the case of the OoOML at least) inverted robes.

But is there a way to tell Troops and Dominions apart in the fluff, OHMSS or other orders?

Edited by HighMarshalAmp

Not in the fluff as such. I know some people paint the Bolter/weapon casings a different colour to differentiate between them. Could also paint the vestments different colours or maybe a marking on them.

I havent used any Dominions yet, so not sure how I'll mark them once I her some myself.

I've not done anything to distinguish between troops, Dominions and Retributors. My Celestians and Zephyrim have differently coloured robes in addition to the fleur de lis, but I'm not aware of any "in lore" painting solution to distinguish between the lower ranking sisters.

I suppose one consideration is that of equipment - Retributors are easy to distinguish on the grounds of their heavy weapons, and Dominions have more special weapons than a standard squad would be able to carry. Most of the time it should be possible to tell them apart on guns alone - the only confusion I can see occurring is if a BSS was killed down to either a Superior and two specials, or a Superior and one heavy, at which point they might start to look like below-strength Dominions and Retributors respectively.

That is true. Never had big problems distinguishing in those kind of situations.

Often there is an army list which can help too to clear stuff up in case of doubt. Another option would be to put markers or colored dice, or a die with a certain number next to your squads to tell them apart.

Edited by Maschinenpriester

Do you mean to tell the difference between them in the fluff in the codex, or to differentiate them fluff wise for your own models?

Maybe for example Our Martyred Lady have a martyr complex, where everyone wants to die a heroic death. Picture ten subordinates who throw themselves to take the bullet for their hero. Or -I'll disarm the deadly bomb. -No I will. -No I will.

It may have got a little morbid now, but this maybe cleared out your mind a bit.