Vallejo Flourescents

pawl

Ahoy!

So I'm considering picking up some flourescent green for use on marine eyes and plasma weapons.

Ideally I would like to use Vallejo's, simply because I'm already familiar with their paints, and they're easily available from my preferred retailer (I use Element Games), but obviously I have questions before I spend money!

Firstly, are Vallejo's offerings the best? Or is it really worth looking elsewhere?

Secondly, is there any noticable difference between the Game and Model flourescent shades?

Thirdly (and lastly), can they be used as glazes? For example as a glaze on a power weapon for a light coloured 'glow'?

I'm quite curious about that myself. I purchased some Green Stuff World fluorescent paints and found the pigment very separated and even after stirring and shaking the paints like crazy they are still pretty weak paints. The GSW Fluo range flow under ultraviolet light which is a nice gimmick but I'm curious if either Scale 75 or Vallejo have a fluorescent range that is easier to paint with.

The GSW Fluo range flow under ultraviolet light which is a nice gimmick

Which seems relatively unique to them, but ultimately useless for me as I don't intend to showcase by UV light!

From what I can gather most 'flourescent' paints are in fact just stupidly bright, which is what I'm after.

Edited by pawl

You might want to have a look at Trovarion's necron video, as he uses them to do the gaus blaster inlay detail, and eyes/head: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4JAFJglhWU

Artis Opus also used them in their drybrushing video, because they're quite transparent, apparently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kDRo4XzWyM

Don't know if that's any help. 

I'm quite curious about that myself. I purchased some Green Stuff World fluorescent paints and found the pigment very separated and even after stirring and shaking the paints like crazy they are still pretty weak paints. The GSW Fluo range flow under ultraviolet light which is a nice gimmick but I'm curious if either Scale 75 or Vallejo have a fluorescent range that is easier to paint with.

Actually glowing unser UV Light is the ooint of all fluo paints.

You need to paint this colors on a White base coat to make them pop.

But the best acrylics i have found for this are Createx Airbrush colors.

I have tried Golden high flow fluorescent paint on some GSC uniforms for high visibility uniforms, I haven't touched that army in months though.  

Ignore the red carapace armor, I'm changing that to bone color.  The orange is their orange over contrast orange and the green is over white primer, I like it. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3n9iocFgwn/

https://www.amazon.com/Golden-Arcylic-Paint-Ounce-Fluorescent/dp/B00E4PL588/

Edited by Fajita Fan

White primer makes it pop, it's perfect for high visibility jump suits.  Also you might find Warp Lightning contrast paint over white to be suitable for marine eyes.

That's the blue thinned down over bright silver and white.

A2D85E3E FCB6 407F 80FF 4713A4213CD4

Harder to see but that's also Warp Lightning on top of white on top of cheap craft paint.

4125BF27 58C6 4FF5 8E14 E416FCF014FA

Edited by Fajita Fan

Which seems relatively unique to them, but ultimately useless for me as I don't intend to showcase by UV light!

From what I can gather most 'flourescent' paints are in fact just stupidly bright, which is what I'm after.

To be fair, I did label in my post that it was a gimmick and state that I wanted to find out if other ranges were easier to work with. I would much rather have a neon blue that would make the glowing effects on my models stand out than have paint that barely tints the model unless under UV light. :)

To be fair, I did label in my post that it was a gimmick and state that I wanted to find out if other ranges were easier to work with. I would much rather have a neon blue that would make the glowing effects on my models stand out than have paint that barely tints the model unless under UV light. :)
Wasn't a dig, I was agreeing - I'm looking for the exact same thing =]

Would like to know if they work the same thinned too - big 'glow' for plasma, fainter one for power weapons.

Edit; forgot to quote him Fajita and can't be bothered to cut and paste - on reflection I think that you might be right about the eyes. Having them as bright as plasma weapons wouldn't make sense, so I've added the Warp Lightning to my cart.

Edited by pawl

Contrasts are as bright as the undercoat you start with. If you don't want it bright then use Grey Seer, white underneath will make it pop.  You can, if you're careful, go Grey Seer->contrast->tiny spot of white->contrast.  Contrasts layered on themselves get darker the value of the pigment itself, it's their transparency over the color underneath that does the work.  That blue plasma glow was done with like 5:1 medium:contrast and I did it in a couple of layers letting them dry.  

I'm pretty sure this was the first layer but it's been so long that I'm forgetting my processes to make things look consistent :wacko.: Letting the stuff work its way onto the flats around the coils gives a cheap, non-skilled OSL, it's layering a little thinned white then another layer of contrast over that which helps it look a little better.  

C76557E0 FE8B 441B 96B2 E0808B4AEEBF

Edited by Fajita Fan

I've had a play with Ork and Guilliman Flesh, just not for eyes - hadn't even occurred to me!

I've got both Warp Lightning and a flourescent green on the way - interested to see how contrast would work over flourescent, too!

Plan is to use the flourescent for plasma (and maybe thinned for power) weapons, which I feel should be really bright when they're in use.

Contrast will be for eyes, and plasma that's not 'actively' in use. I would imagine that they would be at their brightest while they're being fired, so any model that looks like they're not pulling the trigger will have a comparatively darker colouring using the contrasts.

You can also use Grey Seer or Ulthuan across a blade edge or plasma coil and add a few splashes of pure white then the contrasts will look like parts of it are glowing.  Make sure to thin it way down as straight from pot they can be pretty intense.  Aethermatic blue is also nice for glows, I put it straight on marble 3d printed filament for easy water on my AT scale fountains.  

8AAA5654 2B71 49A8 8462 34011D91F37D

White primer makes it pop, it's perfect for high visibility jump suits.  Also you might find Warp Lightning contrast paint over white to be suitable for marine eyes.

That's the blue thinned down over bright silver and white.

Harder to see but that's also Warp Lightning on top of white on top of cheap craft paint.

May I ask what the blue paint's name is, and if there are red and purple equivalents?

That's Talasar and the bright red is BA red, both of which are strong and gorgeous colors that look great on metallics too.  Purple is harder, Shyish is very dark and needs to be thinned while Magos is a lighter purple.  You might consider mixing them but if you try contrasts for stuff like this make sure to practice on a piece of undercoated sprue or something. The Terradon turquoise color is neat too, over metallics it's basically Alpha Legion in a pot. 

With eye sockets and plasma coils this isn't much of an issue but armor panels it is: these paints are not at all durable and need to be varnished. They can rub off easily.