Air Paints

So I’ve done a test model for a BA with Mephiston Red Air using the air brush.

And another model using Mephiston Red Base paint. And the are different results the Base paint is darker than the air is this normal?

I've tested with Abaddon Black too. The finish is different as well and I don’t won’t my models to look patchy after I tidy up mistakes.

Has anyone here had the same thing happen?

I also tested a model that was painted using Abaddon Black base paint though the air brush and when I tidy up bits using my brush and the same paint  I noticed a slight difference.

So, two dumb questions:

• Do the two reds look about the same colour in the pot?
  • How many coats did you apply with the airbrush?

Red is (traditionally) a particularly transparent colour, so will show more of the underlying coat, and the coat you applied with a brush will be thicker than the one applied with an airbrush. 

I can't comment on the GW Air range (I've never used them), but from experience Vallejo Game Air Gory Red over white wasn't opaque until more than 5 (thin) coats had been applied (applying another coat resulted in a darker colour, closer to that of the paint in the pot).

Dunno if that's any help :)

So, two dumb questions:

• Do the two reds look about the same colour in the pot?
  • How many coats did you apply with the airbrush?

Red is (traditionally) a particularly transparent colour, so will show more of the underlying coat, and the coat you applied with a brush will be thicker than the one applied with an airbrush. 

I can't comment on the GW Air range (I've never used them), but from experience Vallejo Game Air Gory Red over white wasn't opaque until more than 5 (thin) coats had been applied (applying another coat resulted in a darker colour, closer to that of the paint in the pot).

Dunno if that's any help :smile.:

That’s probably it. I’ll give it another few passes with the air brush. Should darken it up.

Yes the paints look the same in the pots.

I did about 2 coats. Am completely new to air brushing so I thought that would do.

How does everyone here paint there Black Legion? Am priming with chaos black then. Base coating with Abaddon Black. So if I make a mess with the gold trim I can tidy it up. Do u use the regular Abaddon Black or air to base coat and if so is the regular one just brush on or used though an airbrush?

So basically am asking is it noticeable if I tidy up my BL marine with Abandon Black Air or Abaddon Black base paint.

How many coats would be enough of Abaddon Black over Chaos Black primer?

Edited by Arch69