Your 25 PL Combat Patrol?

After the Warcom Combat Patrol article, I figured I'd build a few of my own. Rather than putting them all in the faction specific threads, I thought I'd post them all together. These are all based on models I already own, so some may be sub-optimal. Not all of these are painted or in some cases, even assembled.

Drukhari Kabal 24PL

Archon 4

- Parasite's Kiss

- Huskblade

4x Ur-ghul 4

10x Kabalites 4

- Blast Pistol

- Agonizer

- Phantasm GL

- 2x Blaster

- Dark Lance

5x Kablites 2

- Blast Pistol

- Agonizer

- Phantasm GL

- Blaster

Venom  4

- additional splinter cannon

- chain snares

- grisly trophies

5x Kabalites 2

- Blast Pistol

- Agonizer

- Phantasm GL

- Blaster

Venom 4

- chain snares

- grisly trophies

(Felt the Razorwing was out of place in such a small force, so decided on venoms, but had to take Ur-ghuls to get closer to 25 because I only have 20 Kabalites ATM)

Drukhari Wych Cult (Red Grief): 24PL

Succubus 4

- Blast Pistol

- Archite Glaive

5x Wyches 2

- Shardnet and Impaler

5x Wyches 2

- Shardnet and Impaler

Venom 4

- chain snares

- grisly trophies

5x Wyches 2

- Hydra Gauntlets

Venom 4

- chain snares

- grisly trophies

3x Reavers 3

- Agoniser

- Blaster

- Grav Talon

3x Reavers 3

- Agoniser

- Blaster

- Grav Talon

That's what I got for now. It's neat to be able to take all the upgrades without extra math. 

I've been thinking about what I can take for Custodes, the answer is not a lot :)

Shield Captain 7

- Castellan Axe

- Misericordia

Custodian Guard 11

- 2 with Guardian Spear, Misericordia

- 2 with Sentinel Blade, Storm Shield and misericordia

Sagittarum Custodians 7

- 3 with Adrustus bolt caliver and misericordia

25 PL unless the cost changes with 9th.

Alternatively 2 units of 3 Custodian guard plus the shield captain would cost the same but this has a little variety (and long range firepower)

Untill we get updated power levels I'm currently making:

Lieutenant with bolt pistol and powersword - 4pts

5 man Intercessor with Auto Bolt Rifles - 5pts

5 man Intercessor with Auto Bolt Rifles- 5pts

Impulsor - 4pts

Impulsor - 4pts

Primaris Apothecary - 3 pts

The general plan being the Impulsors will be totting Belicatus missile arrays for armoured support  and the Intercessors having Auto bolt rifles to try and make up for their small unit size with more mobile shots. The Apothecary is just filler really because I couldn't find any else Primaris for 3pts. It's a nicely contained little force and is lore friendly as even though I'll be fielding two squads of five I'll be painting them up as a single unit with the second sergeant being painted as a veteran. I'll probably give the Impulsors fragstorm given the new blast rules as I am bound to be outnumbered with the likes of Nids.

I may do a Tau or Genestealer Cult one as well at some point if I can scrape together enough models.

Been noodling around a few:

Sisters of Silence (With token inquisitor :D ) 

Inquisitor Eisenhorn-5

Cherubael -1

5x Prosecutors -3

5x Vigilators -8
w/Rhino

5x Vigilators -8
w/Rhino

Or the Storm troopers? 

Tempestor Prime--3 

5x Tempestus Scions -3
Double Plasma

5x Tempestus Scions -3
​Double Plasma

5x Tempestus Scions -3
​Double Melta

5x Tempestus Scions -3
​Double Las

2x Crusaders -1

1x Astropath -1 

Tauros Venator -4
Lascannons

Tauros Venator -4
Lascannons

Or if im really feeling the self hate Corsairs?

Farseer (Void Dreamer) -6

5x Corsair Reavers -8
w/ Venom

5x Corsair Reavers -8
​w/ Venom

5x Rangers

Okay, I'm really proud of this one; using slotless choices, I managed to cram 5 elites choices into a patrol detachment. 

Behold, the Penitent Legion:

Bloody Rose Patrol:

Bloody Rose Cannoness 3PL

- Ardent Blade

- Inferno Pistol

5x Battle Sisters    4PL

- Meltagun

- Flamer

- Plasma Pistol

- Chainsword

- Simulacrum Imperialis

- Incensor Cherub

Preacher                1PL

5x Arco flagellants  3PL   (Slotless due to Preacher)

2x Crusaders           1PL  (Slotless due to Preacher)

Repentia Superior    2PL  (Slotless due to Repentia)

9x Sisters Repentia  5PL

Mortifier Anchorite    3PL

- Heavy Bolters

- Penitent Flails

Mortifier Anchorite     3PL

- Heavy Bolters

- Penitent Flails

So basically, it's 3 prongs: Cannoness and Sisters, Repentia Units, and the Preacher and Battle Conclave. The mortifiers will each support 1 of the 3 prongs. As this Crusade earns requisition points, a 3rd Mortifier Anchorite will be the priority; then another 5x BSS, then expand the Arcos to x10.

Really like this as a crusade army- so many characters for so few points; it really lets you tell a story.

Mucking around on BattleScribe has kind of cemented why PL can be quite annoying.

I’ve made a couple of lists using Primaris only that round out nicely to 500 points and 25 PL. I’ve made a couple of lists using Blood Angels that are also exactly 500 points but are coming in at 41 and 55 PL.

To be fair, they’re Vanguard detachments rather than Combat Patrol like the Primaris ones, but still - I’ve managed to create two 500 point lists, with one clocking in at 25PL and the other at 55PL.

Hopefully the PL system is going to get looked at because having two lists costed the same in points but so wildly different in PL kind of defeats the object.

I've built something akin to a Scythes of the Emperor incursion force - I can see some narrative involved in infiltrating Tyranid Hive Ships.

Librarian in Phobos Armour (5PL)

Incursor Squad (5PL)

Infiltrator Squad (5PL)

Invictor Warsuit (6PL)

Eliminator Squad (4PL)

In game, it'd be pretty cool to play with a full infiltrating force too.

Mucking around on BattleScribe has kind of cemented why PL can be quite annoying.

I’ve made a couple of lists using Primaris only that round out nicely to 500 points and 25 PL. I’ve made a couple of lists using Blood Angels that are also exactly 500 points but are coming in at 41 and 55 PL.

To be fair, they’re Vanguard detachments rather than Combat Patrol like the Primaris ones, but still - I’ve managed to create two 500 point lists, with one clocking in at 25PL and the other at 55PL.

Hopefully the PL system is going to get looked at because having two lists costed the same in points but so wildly different in PL kind of defeats the object.

...Then the one at low power level is stronger and the one with high power level is a weaker list? PL is just the mid point of most and least expensive squad loadouts divided by 20. If you take death company/vanguard vets with only 2x chanswords, their PL/pt ratio will be off because it's possible to arm them all with thunder hammers - meaning the top end is really high. 

I know how they’ve arrived at the PLs, and I know that there’s going to be some variance. I just wasn’t expecting there to be so much variance is all.

Sanguinor, a Sang Ancient and 2 squads of 5 Sanguinary guard is 500 points and 55 PL.

A Phobos Captain, Phobos Libby, two squads of 5 Incusors and a squad of 5 Infiltrators is 500 points and 25 PL

I can create an Primaris list that’s 55PL but 1052 points.

I know how the PL is worked out - but when you can create 2 thematic but not particularly game-y lists for the same points cost, you should not expect to see that big of a difference in PL.

I'm starting a Creations of Bile force to kick off the new Edition, starting with:

- Bile and Surgeon Acolyte

5 power

- 10 Cultists with CCW and a flamer

3 Power

- 10 Cultists with Autoguns and a Heavy Stubber

3 Power

- Greater Possessed

4 Power

- 5 Possessed

5 Power

- Chaos Spawn

2 Power

All totals up to 22 Power, leaving me a little wriggle room if the Power Levels get adjusted for 9th, but I'm doubting they will to start with.

More Spawn will join the party if I do have some Power left in the end

I know how they’ve arrived at the PLs, and I know that there’s going to be some variance. I just wasn’t expecting there to be so much variance is all.

Sanguinor, a Sang Ancient and 2 squads of 5 Sanguinary guard is 500 points and 55 PL.

A Phobos Captain, Phobos Libby, two squads of 5 Incusors and a squad of 5 Infiltrators is 500 points and 25 PL

I know how the PL is worked out - but when you can create 2 thematic but not particularly game-y lists for the same points cost, you should not expect to see that big of a difference in PL.

Because Sanguinor and Sanguard have had massive point drops since release, while PL hasnt changed at all?

At release that Sanguinary Guard patrol was ~914pts (every model with a 20pt power fist and 20pts inferno pistol).

All of this is moot really until you see the 9th ed power levels. 

That said:

5PL - Captain - TH/SS

5PL - Tactical squad - lascannon, combi plas, thunder hammer

8PL - 5x Vanguard w/jump packs, 5 Thunder Hammers, 5 storm shields.

7PL - 5x Sternguard - 5x combi plasma

25PL

Or

5PL - Captain - TH, Combi plasma

5PL - Razorback TLAC

5PL - Razorback TLAC

25PL

Edited by Xenith

Because Sanguinor and Sanguard have had massive point drops since release, while PL hasnt changed at all?

At release that Sanguinary Guard patrol was ~914pts (every model with a 20pt power fist and 20pts inferno pistol).

That said:

5PL - Captain - TH/SS

8PL - 5x Vanguard w/jump packs, 5 Thunder Hammers, 5 storm shields.

7PL - 5x Sternguard - 5x combi plasma

25PL

Or

5PL - Captain - TH, Combi plasma

5PL - Razorback TLAC

5PL - Razorback TLAC

25PL

That and named characters/characters w/o options, tend to be given an extra power level or two over there points would imply (sense “Points” they are cheaper then an equivalently armed generic to balance set options. But that is irrelavent in power level so spend an extra couple of power levels for cool abilities). Most captain level characters are around 90-120 points but power level is 5-7. And then it became exceberayed when points for named characters were reduced.

But that’s the issue, everyone’s had points drops and PL have remained static. PL must be badly done if two 500 point forces can have such a big difference (it’s an increase of 120%)

You’re right though, this is all moot until 9th arrives.

Let’s just hope that the new updates to PL mean that you can have two forces at 500 points with roughly balanced PL as well.

Been thinking on this and barring a change in PL amounts my main patrol is going to be:

Imperial Knights

SHD - Cost 0CP (3CP refunded due to warlord)
Custom Traits: Hounds of War, Stormstrider, Mechanics Oath

Warlord
Warglaive - Reaper chaincleaver, Thermal Spear, meltagun, Sacuatry, Ion Bulwark

Moriax - Siege claw w/ rad cleanser x2

Moriax - Volkite Vauglaire x2

So the hounds of war allow me to shoot/charge after backing out of combat while the stormstrider gives me an insane 15" move that I keep, so allowing me to reposition easier and on a smaller board that really helps. The machanicus oath gives me a small regen as well to keep by pups up and running.

I would have liked to take a helverin instead of a second moriax, but that would put me one PL over. So barring the warglaive getting a PL adjustment down a moriax with twin volkite sin't a bad replacement. While the range, S and Dmg are all lower then the helverin, I'm putting a solid 10 shots down field instead of between 4 and 12 helps.

All this is currently 460 pts, so would work for the 500 pts limit too.

Tau

Outrider Detachment
Custom Sept: Hybridized Weapons, harden missiles

Commander in Enforcer suit - CIB, MP, SG, DC, purtide chip, Through Unity Devastation

XV8 Crsis suit team (3) - CIB, MP, SG, Shas'vre in iridium armour

3x Tactical Drone squads - marker drone x2, shield drone x2 each

Once again I can't take exactly what I want due to the PL cap. the above force I've tried and did decently though I had a coldstar commander. The commander here is on my to do list, but for a flock of sniper drones. Since the mecha the commander is going to based on is a support one (the RVF-25 from Macross Frontier) I got him rigged the same way.

This one's going to be a challenge since I have to keep the group together for maximum effect. The increased range from the hybridized weapons will help and any unit targeted by the commander has the chance to be hit by a -3 AP missile (-1 base, -1 from harden missiles and -1 from unity) so that is going to hurt something. At 450 pts it might survive the point increase as well.

Ultramarines

Battlion
Chapter: Ultramarines

Primaris Captain - plasma pistol/powerfist
Primaris Librarian

3x 5 man Intercessor squads - Aux GL, (one bolt rifles, one stalker, one assault)

A nice little mix of troopers. Not sure this will do good against much as I have to see how to handle the librarian.

As an alternate I'm toying with the idea of dropping two of the intercessor squads, adding a helblaster unit and upgrading the librarian to Tigurius.

I also want to make a patrol of my my boxset groups, but I need to trim those down as they are more then 25PL.

Shoot, I love stuff like this:

Orks Combat Patrol

Evil Sunz

Warboss in Mega-Armor [6pl]

Deffkilla Wartrike [6pl]

30 Shoota Boyz [11pl]

10 Gretchin [1pl]

10 Gretchin [1pl]

This is a lot of bodies, with the two HQ's able to provide the heavy hitting I would need against a cheeky heavy vehicle/monster. All Evil Sunz so I can cross that small table in record time!

Blood Angels Combat Patrol

Mephiston [8pl]

5x Scouts [5pl]

5x Intercessors [5pl]

4x Sanguinary Guard [8pl]

This is a fairly durable group of hard-hitting marines. I took Mephiston mostly because it's my favorite BA model I painted, but he'd be a real monster at this size of game.

Adepta Sororitas Combat Patrol

Order of the Valorous Heart

Canoness [3pl]

5x Battle Sisters [4pl]

Imagifier [2pl]

5x Seraphim [4pl]

5x Retributors [6pl]

2x Mortifiers [6pl]

This was actually most of my 500pt list for my club's escalation league that's been indefinitely delayed by the pandemic. I notice Sororitas suffer for the PL, as this is missing the 2nd Battle Sisters squad I had. Regardless, lots of punch and durability, though not as much mobility as my previous two lists.

Been thinking on this and barring a change in PL amounts my main patrol is going to be:

Imperial Knights

SHD - Cost 0CP (3CP refunded due to warlord)

Custom Traits: Hounds of War, Stormstrider, Mechanics Oath

Warlord

Warglaive - Reaper chaincleaver, Thermal Spear, meltagun, Sacuatry, Ion Bulwark

Moriax - Siege claw w/ rad cleanser x2

Moriax - Volkite Vauglaire x2

Genuine question as I don't know, can you do Knight patrols?

Genuine question as I don't know, can you do Knight patrols?

Yarp, though they have to use the Super heavy FOC instead of a patrol like everyone else :smile.: Plus, at 25pl that above list is like the only one :biggrin.:

Pretty much, or you can do three Moriaxi. Those are only 8 PL while the warglaive and helverin are 9PL. I just find the warglaive better overall in CC then a moriax.

Well you can do a single knight via a SHA, most questoris classes are 25 PL or below, but that is the only thing your getting. While a single knight doing a patrol is fluffy, even as a knight player I don't see it being fun to play against. Even the armigar list is a little OP if your not ready for it and even then you better hope the knight player's dice are against them.

I am so doing a pair of Armigers for this...Don Quixote lives!

Weirdly enough this is proving to be quite theraputic and I'm most of the way through my Primaris patrol already. While there was nothing stopping me doing this before I am really enjoying it and it feels great to have this little compartment force with an easy goal.

But doing even just a pair of Armiger kinghts is just too good a thing to pass up...

I am so doing a pair of Armigers for this...Don Quixote lives!

Weirdly enough this is proving to be quite theraputic and I'm most of the way through my Primaris patrol already. While there was nothing stopping me doing this before I am really enjoying it and it feels great to have this little compartment force with an easy goal.

But doing even just a pair of Armiger kinghts is just too good a thing to pass up...

Unless your doing wardogs (the chaos version) you'll have to go dual warglaive or dual helverin. I suggest warglaive as that will give you something for the lance. SHA only allow 1 LoW and the SHD requires 3 LoW.

Death Guard/The Wretched

Malignant Plaguecaster ( 6 PL) - Arch-Contaminator, Relic: The Daemons Favour, Sevenfold Blessing (-1 CP)

7 Plague Marines (10 PL) - Champion (Plasmagun, Powerfist), Icon, 2 Blight Launcher, Flail of Corruption

Myphitic Blight Hauler (7 PL)

Chaos Spawn (2 PL)

That Plaguecaster is quiet strong at this point level. And summoning is free in non-matched games, so...

The his is basically the force I’ve been building for my guard....

Company Conmander

Lord Commissar

Infantry squad

Command Squad

Techpriest engineer

Armored sentinel

Leman Russ

Comes to 26 PL overall. very little combat power, I think, but a full blown LR is pretty scary when you think about it.

If I had additional funds there would be a second infantry squad in place of the commissar, which would put it precisely at 25 PL instead of 26.

The his is basically the force I’ve been building for my guard....

Company Conmander

Lord Commissar

Infantry squad

Command Squad

Techpriest engineer

Armored sentinel

Leman Russ

Comes to 26 PL overall. very little combat power, I think, but a full blown LR is pretty scary when you think about it.

If I had additional funds there would be a second infantry squad in place of the commissar, which would put it precisely at 25 PL instead of 26.

You could demote your lord commissar to a regular one and that would bring you under the cap. I would also make your patrol into a vanguard, but might work.

Nice and simple force, CC unit along with ranged firepower and AT weapons. Nothing special and a solid al-rounder. Though I do agree with the above points, PL seem... almost random and not equal in comparison to points. Though I do remember Stu Black saying that this was something they had noticed in 8th ed, and I hope they fix it for 9th.

++ Patrol Detachment [25 PL, 531pts] ++

**Chapter Selection**: Astral Claws, Stalwart, Stoic

+ HQ +

Captain [5 PL, 86pts]: Master-crafted boltgun, Relic blade, The Armour Indomitus, Warlord

+ Troops +

Tactical Squad [4 PL, 87pts]
3x Space Marine: 3x Bolt pistol, 3x Boltgun, 3x Frag & Krak grenades
Space Marine Sergeant: Chainsword, Combi-plasma, Melta bombs
Space Marine w/Special Weapon: Plasma gun

Tactical Squad [4 PL, 95pts]
3x Space Marine: 3x Bolt pistol, 3x Boltgun, 3x Frag & Krak grenades
Space Marine Sergeant: Chainsword, Combi-flamer, Melta bombs
Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon: Multi-melta

+ Fast Attack +

Assault Squad [4 PL, 80pts]
3x Space Marine: 3x Bolt pistol, 3x Chainsword, 3x Frag & Krak grenades
Space Marine Sergeant: Combat shield, Melta bombs, Plasma pistol, Power sword
Space Marine w/Special Weapon
Plasma Pistol & Chainsword: Plasma pistol

+ Heavy Support +

Predator [8 PL, 183pts]: Hunter-killer missile, Predator autocannon, Storm bolter, Two Lascannons