Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Inquisitor: Martyr 2.3 (Free on Xbox Live + Seasonal Event)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

N1SB

N1SB

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,231 posts

UPDATE:

ShinyRhino, on 30 Jun 2020 - 12:54 AM, said:
The game is currently Free with Gold on Xbox. I played a few hours of it and found it completely uninspired.

Thanks for the heads up, Brother (please <Like> his post below).  Inquisitor: Martyr, try for free before committing for a limited time on Xbox Live. 

2 years ago I reviewed Inquisitor: Martyr upon its initial release, then 1 year ago I had another look with their Inquisitor: Martyr 2.0 revamp, now I just logged in and noticed they've added a Seasonal Event around this weekend:

gallery_57329_13636_9088.jpg

The TL;DR is - they're emulating the Seasonal Events from (I guess) Diablo 3, where you create a new Seasonal Character that plays in a Seasonal version of the game that has some gimmick mechanic (in this case, certain enemies explode upon death and hurt their peers, I've been exploding Nurglings all weekend).  During the Season, you can unlock all sorts of little benefits like cosmetic items on the bridge of the Rogue Trader's ship or something if you complete certain tasks on a checklist.  It's just a little event to freshen things a bit.

But that's NOT the major improvement.  Here's the major improvement: they really took the grind away, for those of us that play mainly for the story.

Rather than improve the grind mechanics...they've removed it.  I don't know if that change was specifically for this Seasonal Event or it happened sometime in the past year, but it's great that they did.  There used to be a complicated gatekeeping mechanic and they streamlined it in the revamp with a "Power Level" thing...and I don't see it now.  Instead, you want to do a story mission, they'll just scale that to whatever level you're on I think.  You still got to progress the story (i.e. you got to finish Chapter 1 to see Chapter 2), but you no longer have to do the filler content just to grind levels/gear.

In short, if you never finished the Matyr or subsequent storylines because of burnout (I just stopped logging in about halfway through the Drukhari campaign), this might be a good time to log in.

My only nitpick is that it took them 2 years to get to this point.  But for those that hadn't bought/played it yet, it might be worth putting on your wishlist in case it goes on the Steam Summer Sale.

(I myself always wanted to test a character build idea I had out, but didn't really have the incentive.  The Seasonal Event just nudged me enough to say, "meh, might as well try now."  It's a Crusader Heavy Bolter build, and I suspect that gun and a few others got major buffs because I feel quite OP now.)

The game is currently Free with Gold on Xbox. I played a few hours of it and found it completely uninspired.

Edited by N1SB, 30 June 2020 - 12:51 AM.

• TiguriusX and Alby the Slayer like this

Posted Image

Joe

Joe

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,499 posts

I still can't quite get over my initial reaction to this game, but I'm glad to see they are still working on it.

Quite glad I got it through Xbox Games with Gold as well rather than forking out cash for it. Good times.

• N1SB likes this

mkbKIlr.png

ShinyRhino

ShinyRhino

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,680 posts
  • N1SB likes this
-- "To locate, close with, and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuver, and to repel the enemy assault by fire and close combat."

N1SB

N1SB

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,231 posts

Honestly, I'll see if I'm still playing when Diablo 3 comes out with its new Season July 3rd.  They've added Demon Hunter set that looks like a Techpriest if painted red.

Posted Image

Lagrath

Lagrath

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,075 posts
  • Faction: Hexfleet Virules

I don't understand this game. It is Diablo 3 except you play an Inquisitor? That sounds fun but I haven't heard much about this game. 

• N1SB likes this

ShinyRhino

ShinyRhino

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,680 posts

I don't understand this game. It is Diablo 3 except you play an Inquisitor? That sounds fun but I haven't heard much about this game.

Yeah, that's a fair description. Just add tiny, illegible text that flashes by before you can even attempt to read it and a skill system that largely makes class selection irrelevant.
  • N1SB likes this
-- "To locate, close with, and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuver, and to repel the enemy assault by fire and close combat."

Alby the Slayer

Alby the Slayer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 25 posts

You can also play as assassin or psiker. It's a hack&slash yes, but esp in the beginning it suffered from many problems. See N1SB review, it's great.

Personally I really liked the atmospheres, and music but after the story I dropped it. And I was one of the backers. But I am not a fan of the mindless H&S type so I maybe will check this season, if the changed style.

edit for error in cut/copy 

Edited by Alby the Slayer, 29 June 2020 - 06:08 PM.

• N1SB likes this

Atrus

Atrus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 991 posts
  • Faction: Order of the Penitent Spirit
I just got into this in the past couple of weeks when a friend recommended it while it was on Xbox gold for free.
I was iffy about it from my initial reactions to seeing YouTube demos of it when it was first coming out looking slow and clunky.
But 5 minutes into playing this, all those reservations I had were blown away and I've been having an absolute blast with this game. I have no complaints about the game. It runs so smooth and is well paced and the story was fantastic.

This coming from some oone who hasn't had to deal with the early days of course (grind mechanics etc). If you've never played this before I doubt you'll find much to complain about. If you stepped away from it because it burned you out, dip back into it ;)
  • N1SB likes this

MegaVolt87

MegaVolt87

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,092 posts
  • Faction: Iron Warriors

I have been playing since open beta, and still do here is my current assessment of the game- 

While they got rid of item power, the leveling process is still in of itself quite slow. It is similar to trying to hit level cap in PoE. Thankfully it's easy to mostly finish a build at lvl 70-80, the cap is lvl 100 currently. Its more rewarding to roll a new character and do a new build than lvl cap a character. However, there was a rebalance for guns, so shooting is a viable thing to do now especially for crusaders. Its gone from terrible to benchmark ok as an ARPG content wise. It still lacks multiplayer for void crusades, its kinda like mapping and you get a bonus on completion when you efficiently clear maps. Warzone has multiplayer I think still though, but that is not quite as good as the new void crusades IMO. Normal map missions have multiplayer. There is a terminal for matchmaking normal missions, its dead/people don't use it or doesn't work.

The player base is still small, but if you find a good cabal (guild), then you are ok to have people to run content, they have a 30 person cap. I am leader of one of the oldest cabals in the game created at launch, there is still the issue of the guild rank of only hitting a cap of lvl 10, so its impossible to completely fill out the guild buffs tree completely. The common bonuses that are ignored are the ones that favour groups with exp, currency etc in favor of better vendor, more mission choice, grow member numbers as you need to spend guild levels to get a 30 man guild. Also the steam sales are on again, so might sway you to buy as I don't think the game as it is justifies the base price on its ow, which is quite high considering its ARPG competition. 

Also, the lore. As a 40k buff, the main plotline is quite a head scratcher with how the player character is dealing with and the concept of what a dead inquisitor, Uther Tiberius is trying to do and achieve. Also the inquisitorial retinue, technically the crusader and/or psyker should be the inquisitors only with the assassin, tech priest (if you have prophecy DLC) should be playable retinue characters, that lvl then all up on the same save instance. Its also jarring to see your crusader as basically a mini primarch with how you are busting up CSM and dreadnaughts, greater daemons etc. Its an ARPG, so you just have to either ignore it or do some RP- I just pretend I am Vulkan laying out the smack down with my thunder hammer. If you want to RP, the psyker is a much better fit to the game and he is actually very OP in a good way, he is clearly an alpha level psyker, though its never stated. There is a space marine from a dev DIY chapter the Stormwatchers Sergeant Caius Thorn, who would be more believable doing what a crusader is doing if you could play as them instead, which you cannot sadly. There is a morality system, it changes the story, though the in game buffs from puritan are way better than the radical ones, but radical buffs are perfect for the psyker. 

Overall, in the end its important to judge a game like this outside its IP because as a fan it gets harder to be objective. As an ARPG, its competing with D3, Grim Dawn, PoE, torchlights etc as a modern ARPG. Nothing it does is revolutionary or genre defining outside of its IP as the first true 40k ARPG. In that light, its really a 6/10 game, though you could add a point for the IP if you are a 40k fan it's a 7/10. 

• N1SB likes this
gallery_154982_15362_23624.jpg

My Iron Warriors Project   Guns for the guns god!, Bullets for the Brass throne!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users