Eradicators - ( released data sheet )

Triszin

As a T'au player it's a bit of a punch into the gut as well to be honest.

First we had the great safe Plasma but traded in a little bit of power for it. Then everybody gets safe Plasma that's already stronger than the T'au Plasma but can also supercharge it to make it even stronger.

But hey at least we had our 18" Assault Melta. Now Primaris got 24" Assault Melta. Yay.

Can't wait to see the infantry unit with Onslaught Gatling Cannons to one-up the Burst Cannon units. :biggrin.:

We already have those*, they're called Incursors.

* Sort of.

First we had the great safe Plasma but traded in a little bit of power for it. Then everybody gets safe Plasma that's already stronger than the T'au Plasma but can also supercharge it to make it even stronger.

But hey at least we had our 18" Assault Melta. Now Primaris got 24" Assault Melta. Yay.

Can't wait to see the infantry unit with Onslaught Gatling Cannons to one-up the Burst Cannon units. :biggrin.:

* Sort of.

No, not even close. Bolter != Gatling.

At 40 points a model they’re more expensive than Aggressors. That looks about right when looking at the other Primaris model line. Comparing them to Xenos units won’t make sense until we see the Chapter Approved for the other Factions new points.

I’d like to muster some empathy for Eldar and Tau, but I just can’t. Maybe after GW writes them a a 9e Codex and power creep doesn’t do what it always has done for there two Factions and give them one maybe to decent Unit builds that are OP and the rest of the Dex crap. I’m rooting for you GW after 30 years get this one right ;)

At 40 points a model they’re more expensive than Aggressors. That looks about right when looking at the other Primaris model line.

Aggressors cost 40ppm in 9th too. 45ppm for the Bolter variant.

Dang hadn’t seen that. Still it’s seems close considering they are foot sloogers without powerfist and a low rate of fire. I don’t use Hellblasters or Plasma Inceptors because the cost/survivability/damage output ratios don’t work for me personally. As good as these guys are, unless they can bump to 3-6 at some point I’d find it hard to call them an auto include. They’d have to replace my Eliminators and that’s going to take a hard shove to make happen. Honestly considering buying 9 more Eliminators to make them Fusil.

Coming in turn 2 as an Outflanking unit is pretty special though. I agree that their use will be difficult to get the most out of due to footslogging, but a single unit to come on and say hi to just about any monster or vehicle in the game and then goodbye right away after, I do see a use for.

Coming in turn 2 as an Outflanking unit is pretty special though. I agree that their use will be difficult to get the most out of due to footslogging, but a single unit to come on and say hi to just about any monster or vehicle in the game and then goodbye right away after, I do see a use for.

With the smaller board size, that will make less of a difference though. Still a consideration, but 24" isn't a bad range for a smaller board. 

* Sort of.

Six shots at S5 Ap1 D1 is six shots at S5 Ap1 D1.

Can't wait to see the infantry unit with Onslaught Gatling Cannons to one-up the Burst Cannon units. :D

* Sort of.

Unless you’re in tactical doctrine.

Now personally, I'm not sold on Eradicators ... yet. It's not the Gravis part though, it's the Melta. This melta is different enough I'm excited to see how it rates DPT point for point cost compared to Fusil Eliminators. With CP becoming fairly standard, the real place your going to have to look to "sharpen the sword" is effective unit point cost ... making sure the units are more than just the sum of their points of course. 

edit: Sometimes a unit might not seem the most effective until you see how it works in the overall performance of the army as a whole.

Edited by Acebaur
removed off topic

* Sort of.

Then perhaps you should check your Codex again, because Incursors have only 1 shot S4 AP0 D1, 2 shots when in rapid fire range.

I was very anti-Gravis until I picked up some Aggressors.

Now I really like the aesthetic of big hulking armoured marines, extra plates layed over them to block shots into joints, belt fed weapons etc etc. My only personal hangup is the helmets, which will be an easy swap on the Eradicators, just as I did with my Aggressors.

My concern with Eradicators is more rules based than to do with the models - they just seem too cheap for how good they are.

I've seen this discussion a lot from mainly non-marine players, most of which forget a time before the FoC.

Are exterminators too cheap for their stats? Yes, probably. Aggressors are 40 points before any of their weapons, though they do have a better statline and more special rules; inceptors are also 40 points before weapons but also come with jump packs and those related rules. Exterminators ostensibly pay too little for their defenses, special rule and good anti tank weapon.

But, they're heavy support. And can only be taken in units of 3. And only have quality shooting. And outside of 12" only average 9 damage. And only have a repulsor to transport them. Now think about all the other heavy support options that are regularly taken for marines, how versatile some are and if you're going to be paying detachment tax for exterminators over the rest.

So while their stats might be good, they might be left on the shelf if single detachment is the way to go or if they aren't eventually allowed to exceed 3 models.

With Thunderfires getting a massive hike and Eliminators getting a decent one, I'm not confident that the heavy support slot will still be very competitive.

Also, I strongly suspect Eradicators will get a squad size of 3-6 in their multipart kit, like Aggressors or Inceptors. With their focused fire rule, taking a squad of 6 and splitting it with combat squads would actually be great.

With Thunderfires getting a massive hike and Eliminators getting a decent one, I'm not confident that the heavy support slot will still be very competitive.

Also, I strongly suspect Eradicators will get a squad size of 3-6 in their multipart kit, like Aggressors or Inceptors. With their focused fire rule, taking a squad of 6 and splitting it with combat squads would actually be great.

Suppressors. Still no multipart kit. Still squad size of 3.

That squad size is going to hurt for all the new units with the way detachments are bought

Poor Suppressors. The Overwatch changes have made them even more irrelevant.

They're still a 99 point unit that puts out 6 S7, AP-2, 2D shots.....

The new turret thing isn't that efficient.

Bolter inceptors and plasma inceptors are better point for point, but suppressors still have a place. For like, 660 points your fast and heavy slots are all packing anti vehicle level guns and every marine army has a delivery system for the eradicators now.

Executioners, centurions, whirlwinds, devestators and leviathans all still exist. Ill add that the eliminators also got blast which was a buff to offset some very warranted points increases.

Splitting the exterminators is really not great imo. They average 9 wounds at long and 11.7 at short vs t7. Toughness 8 is sad.

Take grav devs in a pod if you want a similar functioning unit.

Poor Suppressors. The Overwatch changes have made them even more irrelevant.

They're still a 99 point unit that puts out 6 S7, AP-2, 2D shots.....

The new turret thing isn't that efficient.

Bolter inceptors and plasma inceptors are better point for point, but suppressors still have a place. For like, 660 points your fast and heavy slots are all packing anti vehicle level guns and every marine army has a delivery system for the eradicators now.

Not to mention at 48" which boosts their survivability a lot if you deploy them properly and the 12" FLY move doesn't hurt either. ^^

I think Eradicators can be very effective in the right lists and to come on as Outflankers, nuking tanks, will be a great asset.

The biggest risk to Marines will be the likes of heavy artillery that can fire over cover, which these guys can assist with.

Of course, Devastator Grav Cannons are only 115pts as the leaks go, so these are likely the most competitive choices.