Appreciation for the Abnett-verse - finding the links

Another possibly interesting link: in Ravenor Rogue, Ravenor, and his band travel through time and space using a 'magical door'. At a certain point they arrive in a future version of Gudrun, the Ordo Malleus Chapterhouse there is in ruins. In the 8th edition Imperial Knights codex it's mentioned that Gudrun got invaded by the forces of Chaos after the opening of the Great Rift. Imperial forces are now trying to free it from the corruption of Chaos. Is it possible that this detail in the codex is a nod to the future described in Ravenor Rogue?

Another possibly interesting link: in Ravenor Rogue, Ravenor, and his band travel through time and space using a 'magical door'. At a certain point they arrive in a future version of Gudrun, the Ordo Malleus Chapterhouse there is in ruins. In the 8th edition Imperial Knights codex it's mentioned that Gudrun got invaded by the forces of Chaos after the opening of the Great Rift. Imperial forces are now trying to free it from the corruption of Chaos. Is it possible that this detail in the codex is a nod to the future described in Ravenor Rogue?

The scene in Rogue, if I recall correctly, is showing what would happen to Gudrun if Slyte emerges. The codex is probably referencing Abnett’s work since Gudrun is a pivotal setting in both Eisenhorn and Ravenor, but I wouldn’t interpret it as about the particular scene in question.

That's actually an interesting tidbit! Can you quote the exact phrasing?

Also, I guess Scarus sector isn't doing so great...

Here's the quote:

‘We’re in the Ordo Malleus chapter house on Gudrun,’ said Ballack. He turned to look at them. ‘I wish I

could claim some clever insight, sir, but it’s written here on the wall.’
Ballack showed them the ancient, faded plaque.
‘But this is a ruin,’ said Thonius.
They moved out along the cloister and into the crumbling, stunted wreckage of the chapter house that
spread out across an overgrown headland. The place had been reduced to this state many years before.
Weeds and climbing plants festooned the tumbled stones, twitching fretfully in the night wind off the sea.
‘I was here a year ago!’ Ballack cried. ‘It was intact, I swear, it was intact and—’
‘This isn’t a year ago, or a year hence,’ Ravenor said. ‘I don’t know when we are. I think the door is
showing us some important consequence of fate. I believe we are in our own future.’
‘Look—’ said Angharad. Across the bay, where the night sea crashed relentlessly against a broken
shore, they could see the desolate, empty silhouette of a great city.
It had been dead for many years.
‘Great Throne of Terra,’ Ravenor murmured. ‘That’s Dorsay.’

Sure, this can be interpreted as a possible future if Slyte is not stopped, but if there's something that Black Library fiction (especially the Horus Heresy books) has thought me, is that the Warp tends to play tricks. We have been shown a possible future, Ravenor interprets this as one in which Slyte wasn't stopped, but what if this was actually the future in which Slyte was stopped, so just the planned future? So by stopping Slyte, Gudrun became vulnerable to another attack.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Tarik Torgaddon / Tormagaddon Monstrum Rex (not100% sure about this one, but it’s stuck in my mind as a connection)

Well, there must be some connection between Tormageddon and the ship that carries his name. Given the nature of daemons and the fact that the ship is possessed, I doubt it's simply named after him. Since we know from Know No Fear and Luna Mendax that part of Tarik's spirit was used to create Tormageddon, I'd say it's extremely likely they're the same. Kind of.

No idea how cautious to be with spoilers for early Heresy books, but you never know.

e; the ship also identifies itself that way in both the books it appears in, so it's probably fair to say that's its actual name - it either named itself or was named that way by whoever called the daemon into the hull, if that's even something you do.

Edited by Urauloth

Tarik Torgaddon / Tormagaddon Monstrum Rex (not100% sure about this one, but it’s stuck in my mind as a connection)

Well, there must be some connection between Tormageddon and the ship that carries his name. Given the nature of daemons and the fact that the ship is possessed, I doubt it's simply named after him. Since we know from Know No Fear and Luna Mendax that part of Tarik's spirit was used to create Tormageddon, I'd say it's extremely likely they're the same. Kind of.

No idea how cautious to be with spoilers for early Heresy books, but you never know.

e; the ship also identifies itself that way in both the books it appears in, so it's probably fair to say that's its actual name - it either named itself or was named that way by whoever called the daemon into the hull, if that's even something you do.

Thanks. Glad I wasn’t a million miles amiss.

Dan Abnett has confirmed that he finished PENITENT two weeks ago! It is done, it is coming, finally!

https://m.twitch.tv/videos/696286739

It's interesting how he talks about how some characters in the lore he isn't "allowed" to kill off, and some that he does. It's mostly character he's created that he kills off, which makes sense, but I'd love to know more about the process of those other protected characters. Do all Black Library authors have access to some internal database of lore? Or do they submit their ideas and just get back feedback? Interesting stuff.

Dan Abnett has confirmed that he finished PENITENT two weeks ago! It is done, it is coming, finally!

https://m.twitch.tv/videos/696286739

It's interesting how he talks about how some characters in the lore he isn't "allowed" to kill off, and some that he does. It's mostly character he's created that he kills off, which makes sense, but I'd love to know more about the process of those other protected characters. Do all Black Library authors have access to some internal database of lore? Or do they submit their ideas and just get back feedback? Interesting stuff.

You’ll probably enjoy this thread..,

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/345238-speculation-spoilers-regarding-the-magos-pariah-etc/

If I recall there is no actual Db that authors can refer to. They are reliant on own knowledge/research plus that of their editor and checking in with the studio. That approach has led to occasional contradictions and mistakes lorewise which is IMO why GW/BL take the “loose cannon” approach so the mistakes can be handwaved away.

Without doubt though there are characters whose fate cannot be dramatically changed in BL fiction. Generally that is anyone who appears in rulebooks/codexes.

However, something BIG lorewise is happening in Penitent. Abnett wanted to do something that he needed permission from GW to do. He got permission! Most of us think this is to do with the identity of the Yellow King.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting, but unfortunately they can't be the same guy per the chronology - Commodus died in 343 M41, and the war on Vraks didn't start until 813. It's possible someone didn't double-check the dates when writing IA2, but it's also plausible there are quite a few guys in the galaxy with that name (cf Creed) and this one is just there as a nod to the Eisenhorn trilogy.

Interesting, but unfortunately they can't be the same guy per the chronology - Commodus died in 343 M41, and the war on Vraks didn't start until 813. It's possible someone didn't double-check the dates when writing IA2, but it's also plausible there are quite a few guys in the galaxy with that name (cf Creed) and this one is just there as a nod to the Eisenhorn trilogy.

One of my favorite moments in the Ghost books was Gaunt finding out he is being considered dead and the guided tour of one of the most pivotal events of his life apparently happening not quite how he remembers that battle :)

So, there is an actual in universe  Abnett’esque precedent for  unreliable imperial record keeping already  :p

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This doesn’t quite constitute a link in the Abnett verse but WarCom has a 30 minute interview with him up. It ostensibly covers the Inquisition but Dan talks a lot about his career in general, and drops some glaringly obvious hints about what he’s currently working on.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/02/19/watch-dan-abnett-shed-new-light-on-eisenhorn-ravenor-and-the-long-awaited-release-of-penitent/