Hello there,

I am new to Age of Darkness, but I've been collecting Wh40k Dark Angels for a while, now expanding into Horus Heresy. I started with the plastic Mark III tactical marines from GW. I also have Forge World Mark III Shoulder Pads (dedicated to DA) to upgrade them. Could you please let me know if I can also use FW DA heads with Mark III armor? They were designed for Mark II and some of the upcoming art from Crusade Book is showing Mark III marines with default, crusader-type helmets. I like FW heads but I'm also a little bit confused! How do you model your Mark III marines? Thank you!

Welcome to the forums!

In regards to the question: I've yet to fully start on my Mark III guys, as while I have 10 they were second-hand. But the Dark Angel upgrade helmets are fairly generic in terms of visuals, so they work on literally any armour mark without issue. For example: I've even seen people use them on Primaris marines and they don't look out of place on them.

So, if you want to use the DA Upgrade helmets on Mark III, go right ahead. :yes:

If you mean, physically, then yes the heads will fit on the models, if you mean from a Lore point of view, it's also a yes. MK III is just up-armoured MK II specifically for frontal assaults, so any MK II helms certainly have a place on MK III models :tu:

Well...

The Custom DAngel Heads were meant to fit with the MKII Chestplate to form the 'Paravine' MKII Variant armor. Noted for its Void Endurance and Systems.

Which is a bit weird since to my knowledge only the Stormwing was really that notable for Void Warfare among the DAngels, but it is what it is.

But MKIII was originally an upgraded variant of MKII with extra armor layered on, so the most 'fluffy' way to do the heads on MKIII is to just say that your army retained its early-production MKIII or that they opted to keep the superior systems of the Paravine's helmets since its already tough and worth the trade-off compared to the MKIII Helmet.

That the DAngels manufactured the Paravine themselves makes this even easier to swing.

A long-winded answer but I hope this helps! :D

Hello there,

I am new to Age of Darkness, but I've been collecting Wh40k Dark Angels for a while, now expanding into Horus Heresy. I started with the plastic Mark III tactical marines from GW. I also have Forge World Mark III Shoulder Pads (dedicated to DA) to upgrade them. Could you please let me know if I can also use FW DA heads with Mark III armor? They were designed for Mark II and some of the upcoming art from Crusade Book is showing Mark III marines with default, crusader-type helmets. I like FW heads but I'm also a little bit confused! How do you model your Mark III marines? Thank you!

Hope this helps dude, this is what the FW head looks like on a MK 3 marine.

Test-DA.jpg

Many of the Legions had access to unique Power Armour Mks such as the Ultramarines with their Praetor Variant, and the Thousand Sons with the Achean Pattern. I look at it as being a variant inspired from the techno knight days before the Emperor came. That and I think it looks cool, and I'm going to enjoy looking at them while playing a game.

Hello there,

Test-DA.jpg

Many of the Legions had access to unique Power Armour Mks such as the Ultramarines with their Praetor Variant, and the Thousand Sons with the Achean Pattern. I look at it as being a variant inspired from the techno knight days before the Emperor came. That and I think it looks cool, and I'm going to enjoy looking at them while playing a game.

The 1st Legion had the "pavane" sub armor type of MK2, which was specialized for void warfare.

Hello there,

Test-DA.jpg

I like the photo, thank you for sharing! I will share mine once I'm done, although it will take a while!

Thank you all for comments. I'm glad there is fluffy way to justify legion-specific heads from MkII!:)

• 5 months later...