Hail from Fenris! A couple questions, if you please.

With the coming of 9th, I was thinking of adding some Black Templars allies. A couple of questions:

1. I know that (in game terms) Helbrecht is a decent-for-the-points Chapter Master, Grimaldus a good chaplain, and the Emperor's Champion is a good character killer. That's the three I intend to fit in a battalion. How would you convert these character so you could avoid - ugh - Finecast?
  2. Are Crusader Squads worth it?

If Crusadersqauds viable depends on too much things we couldnt know yet for this edition.

I just bought the original versions (yes - in finecast) + Dark Angels characters to convert them into Primaris form.

examples for that:

Lazarus + Helbrecht - but maybe there are Stormcast eternals + candles + combimelta

DA Lieutenant + Grimaldus - mybe a Riever helmet and crozius arcanum + cross.

Judicator + Emperors champion. Laurel wreth helmet + a cool sword (not too cool -> frosty like you love from Fenris)

Crusader squads not worth it currently. You pay an extra point per marine and this allows your Heavy weapon user to instead be an extra melee weapon user. Better off just taking tacticals.

Unless you're going for fluff, in which case they are cool!

Edited by Brother Kraskor

I heard rumors that you can put them within 1" from deepstrike if the enemy is in your deployment zone... Then it could be a thing if you put that amount of models on the table....

I dont expect a higher price cost then normal tacticals or scouts but I hope they will be far cheaper.

Thanks for all the replies, brothers! 

Crusader squads not worth it currently. You pay an extra point per marine and this allows your Heavy weapon user to instead be an extra melee weapon user. Better off just taking tacticals.

But Initiates can take chainswords, which gives them an additional attack. So with chainswords, they're making 3 attacks each on the charge, with the Sword Brother making 4 if you give him a chainsword. Unless my math is bad, that sounds like a pretty good deal for 5 points, versus Intercessors, which have the same strength/toughness and cost twenty points more. But of course, you have to factor in 9th's point increases.

But yeah, I was going for fluff.

If Crusadersqauds viable depends on too much things we couldnt know yet for this edition.

I just bought the original versions (yes - in finecast) + Dark Angels characters to convert them into Primaris form.

examples for that:

Lazarus + Helbrecht - but maybe there are Stormcast eternals + candles + combimelta

DA Lieutenant + Grimaldus - mybe a Riever helmet and crozius arcanum + cross.

Judicator + Emperors champion. Laurel wreth helmet + a cool sword (not too cool -> frosty like you love from Fenris)

The use of a Reiver helmet on my Grimaldus sounds like a good idea. I have the Tactical Sprue, so I can take a combi-melta from that for Helbrecht. 

Edited by SvenIronhand

But Initiates can take chainswords, which gives them an additional attack. So with chainswords, they're making 3 attacks each on the charge, with the Sword Brother making 4 if you give him a chainsword. Unless my math is bad, that sounds like a pretty good deal for 5 points, versus Intercessors, which have the same strength/toughness and cost twenty points more. But of course, you have to factor in 9th's point increases.

Five points for Initiates? Where are you getting that from? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick.

Five points for Initiates? Where are you getting that from? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick.

Oof! My bad! Initiates are at 13. Intercessors are 17, so that's a difference of 4 points.