Most useful allies?

In lieu of anything to count towards my more pressing projects, I'm gonna get back to painting my 1k Sons and getting them up to 2k points.

The core of my army is this:

1 Sorcerer

1 Exalted Sorcerer

3x 10 Rubrics w/ Soulreaper Cannon

2x 5 Scarab Occult w/ Missile Rack + Soulreaper Cannon

Not ITC material by a long shot as it stands, I know, but I like my 1k Sons list to actually include some 1k Sons :blush.:

I might add that with 3x5 Rubrics and no Tzaangors at 1000pts, I've had some success with these guys.

But in 9th, all that still makes for merely 1300pts, maybe?

I'm not new to the hobby and I realize that this is devolving into a "tell me what to buy to fix my mess"-thread quickly.

Still, I'm at a loss as to where to start to give this list some teeth at higher point limits.

And now I'm pondering what to add here to achieve a viable list.

Goatmen for board control and VoF?

A C:CSM detachment with Lascannons?

A Death Guard detachment for a bucketload of T5 Plasma?

I might end up with a major surplus of Mk IV Marines soon so I really quite fancy the latter ones...

Or maybe something completely different?

You might want to wait on "competitive" expansions to your army. 9th edition is coming up so be careful about adding "allies." They will be expensive CP wise to bring along additional detachments. Plus, who knows what will be good or stand out as something you want when the core rules change, missions change, and you get a day one FAQ.

If you need to paint and model, maybe focus on something more fun than gamey.

I recently picked up a number of boxes of CSM for a possessed bomb which I won't be using in the same way at all even remotely probably (which is honestly fine, it was a real gamey list.)

Edited by Raven1

I think I can say with a fair amount of confidence that a "super chicken" exalted lord of change with the 3++ relic is still going to be valuable in 9th ed..

BUT:

Even with a Patrol, you're looking at spending 4 Command Points or so before the game even starts just to take him.

With most of our TS stratagems being really good, I am already considering selling my demons and just keeping those CP. It's a hard choice. Again, the Exalted Cosmic Cluck is really nice. If you run Rubrics like I do, you will probably be using Indomitable Automatons most turns. Games will be 5 turns in 9th, I'm pretty sure. 

Edited by Archaeinox

30 Scarab Occult? Heck no. My record was probably 20 in 7th edition. Running 10 is hard for me in 8th. Now in 9th with the point increases (not confirmed for Scarab Occult yet), I think I'll be lucky to run 5.

Troops are huge in 9th. Board control is big. Goats as you mention are always a fall back and we may be stuck with them once we see point hikes. That said Duplicity looks very important for openers.