Blastmasters, now with extra blast!

Sersi

Well Surprise, Noise Marines go some decent boosts in the new 9th Edition rules.  

Blast:

According to leaks the Blastmaster now has the Blast keyword.  Granting, Heavy D3  S8/-2AP/Dam D3 vs 0-5 model units, and Heavy 3 S8/-2AP/Dam D3 vs 6+ model units.  Or Assault D6  S4/AP-1/Dam 1 vs 0-5 model units, Assault 3 S4/AP-1/Dam 1 vs 6-10+ model units, and Assault 6 S4/AP-1/Dam 1 vs 11+ model units.  

That's pretty good before even getting into stratagems like Endless Cacophony, Veterans of the Long War, or Excruciating Frequencies.  Then we have "Blast" on frag grenades which uniquely each Noise Marines can toss as they.

Terrain:

Hordes are even more dependent on cover which Sonic weapons still ignore.

Anyone see any other benefits or changes changes for Emperors Children?

Yeah the blast masters sure look good. I hope the point adjustments to the gear and to the humble noise marine won't bee too severe though.

another benefit is maybe that the current players opponent player starts to choose the first unit in the fight phase which means our Legion trait gets a tiny boost.

I wonder if sonic weapons will ignore the - 1 to hit from certain terrain too.

Edited by Maschinenpriester

Unfortunately it also means that the Sonic Dreadnought Helbrute can't shoot its Blastmasters when being in melee.

That is true, but I feel like the sonic dread will be fun with dual flamer fists and a doom siren after the charge!

I am a little bit afraid of them going to legends anyway. Not that this would prevent me from using them!

Edited by Maschinenpriester

Yeah the blast masters sure look good. I hope the point adjustments to the gear and to the humble noise marine won't bee too severe though.

another benefit is maybe that the current players opponent player starts to choose the first unit in the fight phase which means our Legion trait gets a tiny boost.

I wonder if sonic weapons will ignore the - 1 to hit from certain terrain too.

I would think so, but I guess we'll have to wait for the FAQ. Scarily a lot could change for us depending on what they do with the FAQ. After all it took 3 separate erratas , to explain Music of the Apocalypse even functions.  I checked my 2.0 codex and Faith & Fury and it looks like our ability to take Noise Marines a troops also only appears in the FAQ. So, hopefully we don't have to wait long for an updated FAQ.

Unfortunately it also means that the Sonic Dreadnought Helbrute can't shoot its Blastmasters when being in melee.

Ah, but that's what the Power Scourge and Doom Siren are for.  That and they have to survive two Blastmasters, potentially firing twice with Fire Frenzy; along with any other supporting fire.  

That is true, but I feel like the sonic dread will be fun with dual flamer fists and a doom siren after the charge!

I am a little bit afraid of them going to legends anyway. Not that this would prevent me from using them!

Hope and pray that make the Sonic Dreadnought Legends. As it is now it exists solely as an FAQ creation, with no model support. But even if they don't I'd doubt anyone wouldn't let you continue to play them the same way as the 8th.  

Hope and pray that make the Sonic Dreadnought Legends. As it is now it exists solely as an FAQ creation, with no model support. But even if they don't I'd doubt anyone wouldn't let you continue to play them the same way as the 8th.  

It's why I have made sure my sonic brute has alternate arms if the sonic brute profile is lost.

It's weird, the more I hear about 9th I lose faith in my TS or GK ability to do well in it, but am working more and more on my EC as whilst they don't seem like the most powerfull in ninth, they will certainly be able to put up a good fight.

I thought that was only with the blast option but the assault would be ok. Will have to see in the full rule book

I thought that was only with the blast option but the assault would be ok. Will have to see in the full rule book

Blastmasters are in the leaked blast weapons list. But it does not say if it is going for both frequencie. It would be my guess though.

I wonder why noone here is talking about the EC trait giving them a real first strike. In the Combat Phase its "Chargers first" and "Your opponent chooses first". So an EC unit counts as charging and can be picked first. Edit: No, this doesnt work. The wording in the rule says the active player chooses first, the general rule does not overwrite that. Too bad, so sad.

Edited by MasterDeath

I wonder why noone here is talking about the EC trait giving them a real first strike. In the Combat Phase its "Chargers first" and "Your opponent chooses first". So an EC unit counts as charging and can be picked first.

It's definitely a big boon. EC are shaping up to be really potent this edition. Now we just need some models...

Double post with some relevant information:

Noise Marines with Sonic Blasters are now 24ppm

Blastmasters went down to 10 points

ouch, that points hike suddenly makes sonic blasters not that great. Don't get me wrong, with excruciating frequencies they can be brutal, but at that points cost they shouldn't need to use a stratagem.

Honestly did not think I would ess noise marines become more expensive then grey knights or rubrics.

I wonder if we're then getting a bonus to the "ignores cover" part of the sonic weapon rules. 

If they can ignore the -1 to hit mod, in addition to the +1 armor mod from terrain, they get even better. 

The rulebook has a section that clarifies rules and there it's mentioned that weapons that "ignore bonus to saving throws from cover" only affect terrain that gives a bonus to saving throws in cover and weapons that don't specify saving throws affect every bonus a unit would get from cover. So it seems they have already factored in that there are weapons who RAW don't ignore the hit penalty from some of the terrain and don't intend to change that anytime soon.

The noise marine price hike is an ooof. But I guess I'll still run them anyways. Mabe just fewer sonic weapons as the bolter drill give the humble bolter quite the boost. Did anyone see if the sonic hellbrute became a legend? Did not find it yet. Edited by Maschinenpriester

As long as it's not changed and still available to download from their website it should be still valid, yeah. Gotta wait until they release the new imperial armour index and the following FAQ to be completely sure though.

As long as it's not changed and still available to download from their website it should be still valid, yeah. Gotta wait until they release the new imperial armour index and the following FAQ to be completely sure though.

Do we have any idea when that will be out? I admit I'm a tad unsure on working on anything now as the points increases have left me feeling a bit uncertain about my EC, and if I should focus on building up my vostroyans instead.

I wonder why noone here is talking about the EC trait giving them a real first strike. In the Combat Phase its "Chargers first" and "Your opponent chooses first". So an EC unit counts as charging and can be picked first.

It's definitely a big boon. EC are shaping up to be really potent this edition. Now we just need some models...

I edited my post above. The First strike does not work as I remembered. Its still not a real first strike.

Yes! The Chaos Index FAQ got updated and the Sonic Dreadnought in still and option for Emperor's Children. 

So, 125 pts for two Blastmasters, a Doom Siren, and a Power Scourge. So bad at all considering the Blastermaster has blast in both firing modes, apparently. You can fire them into combat but you have the Doom Siren and Power Scourge for that. 

Edited by Sersi

Yes! The Chaos Index FAQ got updated and the Sonic Dreadnought in still and option for Emperor's Children.

So, 125 pts for two Blastmasters, a Doom Siren, and a Power Scourge. So bad at all considering the Blastermaster has blast in both firing modes, apparently. You can fire them into combat but you have the Doom Siren and Power Scourge for that.

Good to hear my army will continue enjoying the company of my 2 converted sonic hellbrutes in battle!

considering that Blastmasters got cheaper and the cc weapons did not increase in price this is a good thing. And they will to horrible things to squads with t4 that are bigger than 6 on heavy frequency.