= Female Space Marine :P (art) =

Yep, I did that. My only excuse is that I painted over 20 years ago, before the original Sisters of Battle codex was released, back when the Sisters of Battle looked like Space Marines. So she's a 'Female Space Marine', even though she's a Sister, but also obviously not a Sister in today's world. I never posted in online before, but I'm looking at some of my old art and having a bit of a retrospective. I thought some here might find it interesting, harking back to a bygone age, and a bit of fun :tongue.:

Female Space Marine

Artstation

Deviant Art Edited by Philip S

Brother, I love this painting for many reasons.  The Marines look like early 40k, like Space Crusade, which I love.  I love also the HR Giger-like tunnels they're fighting in.  The metallic sheen to their armour, I also love.  I love how the scope is actually a red dot sight thing.  I love the composition, I love the colour choices.

And I hope you don't mind, I actually got a No-Prize explanation for this lady.  She IS a Sororitas...but of an Ultramar-based sect.  In the recent, post-Cadia/Great Rift/Indomitus novels, Roboute Guilliman struggles with how religion, one of the key things the Emperor tried to prevent, has taken over his Imperium.  So he does his thing...which is to try to manage the thing.  He recruits a priest to be his government-sanctioned Pope, etc., thinking he could govern faith itself, which unfortunately backfires so badly it's the only time I could think of where he visibly loses his temper.  With all that in mind, I can imagine he's tried to outreach to actual Sororitas Orders to be more in-line with his idea of what church-ordained women warriors should be like, and ended up with Sisters of Battle that wear his Legion/Chapter colours.

Roboute Guilliman often uses gifts of weapons and armour to cement his relationships with other Imperial factions, and I imagine he had just some spare set of standard Mk VII armour modified to fit a Battle Sister.  To the Sororitas recipient, it's like their most sacred relic, and this woman is clearly a very high-ranking Canoness or something.

Honestly I'd prefer this to the iteration of sisters if they just had a more catholic vibe which I do like on modern Sisters (completely unrelated to the fact I am culturally catholic, I assure you!). But imo, Sisters wearing the same power armor as marines not only makes sense (no STC fethery), but also serves as a good way to actually supply female space marines without invoking needless lore retcons or treading imo what is the appeal of marines as that kind of Crusader Brotherhood of Monks with Sisters just being a female variant of that, trading augmentions for sheer numbers.

Also you really should make more Terminator art, your classic style stuff reminds me a lot of England's art (RIP) and the modern Indomitus art doesn't quite have that same hunchback style.

Edited by Volt

@N1SB - that's quite a story, I like it! So she'd be a new version of Sister with more armour, a big sister?

@mel_danes - I'd like to see her too, if you find it, post it here!

@Bjorn Firewalker - thank you, that was kind of you to say :smile.:

@Volt - yeah, I always saw the Sisters as 'Female Space Marines'. I see what you mean about the Catholic vibe, I think 'Sister Sin' was wearing a habit. I posted an actual sister on Art Station, and Deviant Art. There is also a sketch of a Canoness stuck to the wall above my monitor looking very angry, she reminds me to do some work :tongue.:

As for doing more Terminators; I'm at a bit of a cross roads at the moment, and I'm thinking about working up my own stuff as I cannot be what I want to be working with 40K (blog post), but I also love 40K.

@mel_danes - thanks - blue looks good on her! Did you paint any more?

Nope got her when they were new sculpts, just for funzzies. Painted her blue like my old Mk7 metal marines, and put her in a box.

She sits next to my RT era chaos and plague marines.

@ranulf the revenant - perhaps her name should be Vasquez? Your quote is quite apt considering the context (as there are no female space marines, but she is one, so she must be mistaken for a man, but she doesn't look like not a man, and on meeting one who thinks all marines are men, they'd instantly know she is not a man; so from her point of view she has never been mistaken for a man. <snip>).

@mel_danes - RT era? Now I want to see those too! :tongue.:

Edited by Philip S